ADVERTISEMENT

New Mexico wildfires

Unfortunately, someone died in Nebraska Saturday in a fire near the Kansas border... :(

CAMBRIDGE, Neb. -- Wind-driven wildfires sweeping through parts of Nebraska killed a retired fire chief and injured at least 15 firefighters, authorities said Sunday.

The man who died Friday night was a retired Cambridge fire chief who was working with firefighters as a spotter in Red Willow County in the southwestern corner of the state. That fire had burned more than 78 square miles (202 square kilometers) in Red Willow, Furnas and Frontier counties by Sunday afternoon.

The Nebraska Emergency Management Agency said firefighters were still working to contain that large fire Sunday, and officials didn't have an estimate of how much of it had been contained.

Alyssa Sanders, with NEMA, said 66-year-old John P. Trumble, of Arapahoe, was overcome by smoke and fire after his vehicle left the road Friday because of poor visibility from smoke and dust. His body was found early Saturday.
That's terrible, firefighters don't get enough credit for what they have to deal with. Really sad.

Reactions: 3boysmom
When you don’t let folks log and do proper forest management this happens. Instead they hug dead trees on the ground.
I’ve not heard anyone say they shouldn’t ever do prescribed burns or forest maintenance. Actually quite the opposite. It’s a matter of the person on the ground saying that conditions were poor and some suit in an office far away saying do it anyway. But it does highlight the need for keeping our forests healthy

Funding for this is so far down the list this is bound to happen and happen again. It’s not a priority so gets little funding or attention until something bad happens… even then a week or two passes and people move on and there still is no funding.

I’ve not heard anyone say they shouldn’t ever do prescribed burns or forest maintenance. Actually quite the opposite. It’s a matter of the person on the ground saying that conditions were poor and some suit in an office far away saying do it anyway. But it does highlight the need for keeping our forests healthy
There are restrictions on federal land to manage forests in areas around the country. While the intent might be admirable it can also be a problem when events like this occur.

The Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Fire by Las Vegas has burned over 166,000 acres. Brutal. High winds forecasted for the area over the weekend. One of my favorite trout streams has been affected. Gallinas Creek starting at El Porvenir trail head.

Back in the day we used to visit the hot springs often. And, though I'm not an outdoors type... some of my buddies took me way back into that canyon trout fishing several times. There were some nice ranches back in there.

The Hermits Peak/Calf Canyon Fire by Las Vegas has burned over 166,000 acres. Brutal. High winds forecasted for the area over the weekend. One of my favorite trout streams has been affected. Gallinas Creek starting at El Porvenir trail head.
My son sent me a pic from the El Porvenir trail last fall. He texted me last week that what he sent had all burned now. They cancelled the last week of their season a few days ago because they are anticipating more evacuations this weekend. It was bad when we were there 2 weeks ago. My son says it is infinitely worse now. His house is in the ready area, the set area is a block away. But he isn't smart enough to come home.

Reactions: red/green hawk
My son sent me a pic from the El Porvenir trail last fall. He texted me last week that what he sent had all burned now. They cancelled the last week of their season a few days ago because they are anticipating more evacuations this weekend. It was bad when we were there 2 weeks ago. My son says it is infinitely worse now. His house is in the ready area, the set area is a block away. But he isn't smart enough to come home.
The bridge to get across that stream has burned to the point you can't cross it. There's a beautiful Baptist family camp just past Porvenir that I think was mostly spared even though the fire rolled through there. I think most structures were saved. I think the climbing wall got toasted though. The camp manager was taking video from the front door of his house on the property of the fire right across the road! The Castle at Montezuma was in the crosshairs as of a couple days ago. My friend's parents were given the go ahead to go back home last Saturday in Mora only to be re-evacuated on Sunday because winds shifted and they were back in the path. The fire fighters were fighting the fire in their front yard. Thankfully their house was saved and most buildings. Only a little shed burned down.

The amazing thing is that no lives have been lost!

The bridge to get across that stream has burned to the point you can't cross it. There's a beautiful Baptist family camp just past Porvenir that I think was mostly spared even though the fire rolled through there. I think most structures were saved. I think the climbing wall got toasted though. The camp manager was taking video from the front door of his house on the property of the fire right across the road! The Castle at Montezuma was in the crosshairs as of a couple days ago. My friend's parents were given the go ahead to go back home last Saturday in Mora only to be re-evacuated on Sunday because winds shifted and they were back in the path. The fire fighters were fighting the fire in their front yard. Thankfully their house was saved and most buildings. Only a little shed burned down.

The amazing thing is that no lives have been lost!
It will be very interesting to see if that holds true once this is over. When we were there we were talking with one of the families of a teammate who say they know people who died. But I know at least one was someone who refused to evacuate and was on oxygen. The power went out and he died because the oxygen stopped. So technically they could claim it wasn't the fire but if he had evacuated he would still be alive. And it is absolutely possible that they think they know people died because they are hearing rumors but don't actually know it as a fact.

• Sad
Reactions: red/green hawk
It isn’t peak fire season, yet. Let that sink in.
April is the wettest month in Colorado and we were in a high fire alert for almost all of it. It finally rained the other day. Peak season in my county is August-October.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT