ADVERTISEMENT

New NCAA transfer rules

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
The NCAA has announced some major changes for players who are transferring for the second time.

On Wednesday, the Division I Council voted unanimously to update guidelines for the waiver process for second-time transfers.

The Council said that each waiver request will be reviewed on a "case-by-case" basis, but also stated that any athlete seeking the ability to play immediately after a second transfer will have to meet one of the following criteria.

• A demonstrated physical injury or illness or mental health condition that necessitated the student's transfer (supporting documentation, care plans and proximity of the student's support system will be considered), or
  • Exigent circumstances that clearly necessitate a student-athlete's immediate departure from the previous school (e.g., physical assault or abuse, sexual assault) unrelated to the student-athlete's athletics participation.

Purely athletics-based motivations such as lack of playing time and "position presence" will not be considered valid reasons to receive a waiver.

The new rules will go into effect in the 2023-24 school year.

With the landscape of college sports constantly changing, this won't be the last time transfer guidelines are tweaked. The transfer portal, NIL and other advancements have changed everything.

The NCAA became the wild west over night. You just had to know they would step in again with new rules. My guess is we will be seeing many new rules over the next several years.

Guessing not too many Lax fans on here but it is big where I am from. Last year 1 team in the finals had like 17 transfers on their team. I think you have to have some kind of limits otherwise you create a landscape like pro sports. Some will argue about "free market" and all, but even in pro sports they have all sorts of rules and regulations to try and keep it in check!

Reactions: bluroptimo
The NCAA became the wild west over night. You just had to know they would step in again with new rules. My guess is we will be seeing many new rules over the next several years.

Guessing not too many Lax fans on here but it is big where I am from. Last year 1 team in the finals had like 17 transfers on their team. I think you have to have some kind of limits otherwise you create a landscape like pro sports. Some will argue about "free market" and all, but even in pro sports they have all sorts of rules and regulations to try and keep it in check!
Quite frankly it is worse than pro sports. At least there you often have actual multi year contracts that can't be broken. Unless of course you whine enough that your team has to trade you.

Good. NCAA needs to keep making adjustments. On one basketball broadcast a kid was onto his fourth school. Give them one freebie, and anything after that you sit.

Reactions: tosal563
Good. NCAA needs to keep making adjustments. On one basketball broadcast a kid was onto his fourth school. Give them one freebie, and anything after that you sit.
I agree. Kids need to learn to live with their decisions. We all can understand that they do not know much and can make mistakes and so the one freebie to transfer could be argued as acceptable. However, after that, make better decisions or live with the poor decision.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
ADVERTISEMENT