ADVERTISEMENT

New NIL World

You're exactly right. The way the NCAA set this up is it wasn't supposed to be used for recruiting purposes. The intent of it was for an athlete to deal strictly with an entity AFTER he's already started playing for said college, not before; the schools were to play no part in it. Somehow, the NCAA has already allowed the lines to become blurred.
Bingo

Luckily it will implode eventually. Boosters won't be able to afford to pay millions of dollars on the side for class after class that may or may not perform well and also keep donating millions of dollars to athletic departments forever. Going to be a lot of athletes that blow their money and owe a lot of taxes.
We can hope. LOL I will be 58 in May, so I am old school, but I have always thought that a full ride scholarship, and all the free meals these kids get are more then enough that they don't need this NIL. I guess a free college education is not important anymore. To be honest, if they can get paid for their autograph, fine, I have no problem, but that is about as far as I would go with NIL. These kids would hate me. LOL I went to DMACC and on year to a state school, (ISU, I dare to say) and it took me years to pay back my student loans, so I still think full ride schollies are plenty. But, I apparently am out of touch now days. LOL

Reactions: MVPFAN
I'll dm you my venmo acct. Send it to me and I'll make sure it gets into the right hands. Tell your friends.
I think Venmo has a $5k limit. My friends and I are gonna need something way more accommodating than that. Also, I totally trust where you're coming from but my friends are more cynical. If you can forward me your SSN, birth date, and bank information for a quick background check I can get 6 figures into your account for distribution by the end of the week. Go Hawks!

Luckily it will implode eventually. Boosters won't be able to afford to pay millions of dollars on the side for class after class that may or may not perform well and also keep donating millions of dollars to athletic departments forever. Going to be a lot of athletes that blow their money and owe a lot of taxes.

Another thing that will stop it is when these boosters get burned by it. Give a kid some NIL money thinking the kid will be at that school for the rest of his eligibility, only to have the kid transfer to another school a year later because he got more money elsewhere. That booster won't ever take that chance on another kid.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Pandora's box has been opened and the kids will never want to go back to what college football was, but the NCAA or someone better get some rules in place to curb it in some way, or it will eventually ruin the game for the General old fan like me. Same with the Transfer portal, I don't know all the TP rules, but I would say one and done so kids cannot transfer every year to a different school. I already lost interest in pretty much all pro sports, so this is all I have sports wise these days, and once I lose interest in college football, I guess I will take more interest in my yard. LOL

Ive asked many times on here...How much money is really there to pay college athletes? There is only so much money that is available to give to college programs so there is a limit somewhere. I dont think too many, if any, schools have the donors to be playing multiple player 6 to 7 figure deals and a annual basis. So many of these deals will fall through, kids will leave programs, kids wont pan out, kids get in trouble, teams dont pan out etc. These donors will stop giving. Coaces will avoid schools where the donors are paying the high dollars because they will want immediate results, or else. The big city schools donors dont pay near as much attention to collage sports as they do pros. Here in PHX we never see college athletes on commercial/billboards etc...Its always the cardinals, coyotes or the suns players.
look up how much players are making, its all over the internet. From 6 figured freshman QBs to 7 OL getting 50k in texas.

NIL is going to be the death of college football as we know it and love it. This whole NIL thing is going to get very crooked very fast. Good thing I am getting old so I have fewer years left to watch this crap play out. LOL
Ad basketball also. One of the stupidest decisions ever made in college athletics. Kinda goes along with everything going on today😟

Again, thats whats happening right now. Point is will donors keep shelling out the $ year after year.
That is what donors do, especially at big time programs (AL, TX, OSU, ND, LSU, USC, etc - not Iowa).

IMHO this will end up dividing D1 into two, making your elite teams "semi-pro" and then the others. It's no longer about an education (hasn't been for sometime for most of the blue bloods), win baby is all the donors want.

In combination with the transfer rules, I think you are spot on. Obviously blue bloods will use NIL $$ to lure players from other programs to shore up their rosters, widening the gap considerably. It's already started and will only get worse.
Hopefully there are people in positions of power that see that and can do something to curb it before it gets completely out of hand. Once it is out of hand, it's over because the kids will have been financially corrupted and will seek money over the game and will fight tooth and nail to keep it that way. There should at least be a cap put on what a kid who is receiving a full ride scholly can make.

Reactions: LakeviewHawkeye
Hopefully there are people in positions of power that see that and can do something to curb it before it gets completely out of hand. Once it is out of hand, it's over because the kids will have been financially corrupted and will seek money over the game and will fight tooth and nail to keep it that way. There should at least be a cap put on what a kid who is receiving a full ride scholly can make.
Already out of hand.

1. While at the Texas High School Coaches Association's annual convention, per The Athletic, Saban noted quarterback Bryce Young is nearing the $1 million mark in sponsorships.
    "Our quarterback already has approached ungodly numbers—I'm not going to say what they are—and he hasn't even played yet. Hasn't even started," Saban said. "... It's almost seven figures. And it's like, the guy hasn't even played yet. But that's because of our brand."
    Young's only known partnership is with Cash App, so it's unclear how close exactly he is to $1 million.

BYU football​

NIL deal: $136,000 ... plus tuitions

This is an example of a university's athletic program thinking outside the box. In a deal with Built Bar, all 136 Brigham Young football players -- that's scholarship players AND walk-ons -- can earn up to $1,000 as brand ambassadors.

Oh, and the deal also pays for the tuition for all walk-ons.

McKenzie Milton, Florida State football, and D'Eriq King, Miami football​

NIL deal: $20,000, plus signing bonus

Texas offensive linemen​

NIL deal: $800,000

A non-profit entity will give $50,000 to each of 16 Texas offensive linemen on scholarship, with the twist being that the players must use the funds to support charitable causes.

University of Miami football​

NIL deal: $540,000

In an unusual deal, a line of fitness centers in South Florida is offering every University of Miami football player $500 per month to endorse the gym.

• Sad
Reactions: scotthawk1964
Listening to the podcast Bussin with The Boys they stopped in Lincoln and talked with Frost and the new QB transfer from Texas. Hearing how they are concentrating on NIL is a bit concerning because I’m guessing our coach who happens to be Medicare age isn’t on board with doing as much as he can to get payers money.

As much as I dislike Fros, and Nebraksa is a garbage program Frost says he hates the new NIL world but it’s currently the game being played so they are going to play it the best they can. They said they have multiple companies in Lincoln that are specifically there to help Football players get money. Do they have these in Iowa city?

The new QB transfer into Nebraksa said most starters for Nebraska are making at least 6 figures. Said he could probably double his money if he took all opportunities but is being selective. Again I think Nebraksa is trash but if they can throw 6 figures$$ in cash at each starter that has to help with recruiting.
So you're telling me every starter at Nebraska is getting 100K in NIL money. So that's $220,000. As I've stated in other threads, I see a few things being tossed out about money but very little TRUE information. Hearing the qb from Nebby saying the entire starting O and D is getting 100K I don't believe. And then everyone goes on about the NIL being the death of sport and blah blah blah. Wake me up when Nebraska has a winning record. And I'm being serious.

Reactions: kceasthawk
So you're telling me every starter at Nebraska is getting 100K in NIL money. So that's $220,000. As I've stated in other threads, I see a few things being tossed out about money but very little TRUE information. Hearing the qb from Nebby saying the entire starting O and D is getting 100K I don't believe. And then everyone goes on about the NIL being the death of sport and blah blah blah. Wake me up when Nebraska has a winning record. And I'm being serious.
No doubt. And what dumb ass is going to fork over a 100K to the right guard on a team that is 4-8? And just how long before they expect some ROI? You know what they say, "about a fool and his money"....

Reactions: littlez
No doubt. And what dumb ass is going to fork over a 100K to the right guard on a team that is 4-8? And just how long before they expect some ROI? You know what they say, "about a fool and his money"....
Total BS. Agree KC.

The list just continues to grow. OSU alone raked in nearly 3million for 220 athletes. It is no longer about the student.
----------------------
The 6-foot-3, 160-pound point guard out of Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis will make $2 million on the deal with Web Apps America, according to his father.

Miller is committed to Tennessee State University, where he'll play in the fall.

"It's incredible. This is gonna change the way college athletes want to stay in school," Master P told TMZ Sports.

Master P told TMZ Sports the deal had been in the works for some time, but he was waiting on various NIL rulings to make it official.

"I signed a deal with an American technology company. Like my dad said, it's a blessing," Hercy Miller said.
------------------------
What’s more, colleges are generally tight-lipped about how much their athletes make in these types of deals — and there’s really no regulatory body that governs a requirement of disclosure — but it’s estimated that at Ohio State University alone, a total of $2.98 million has been paid to 220 athletes for more than 600 reported NIL activities since July 2021.
----------------------
And you thought fried chicken was racist when mentioned with a black person:
“We’re thrilled to have Ky’Wuan join Team Bojangles as the first HBCU athlete on our roster,” said chief brand and marketing officer at Bojangles, Jackie Woodward, in an official statement. “We look forward to continuing our partnerships with HBCUs and athletes throughout our footprint.”
--------------------

ESPN reports that the four-star quarterback prospect has signed a four-figure NIL deal with Athletes in Recruitment (AIR), a recruiting app. According to the outlet, the Pittsburg High School player is “believed to be the first high school football player to profit from endorsements,” AfroTech previously reported.

By the Numbers: $200,000 in education

--------------

When Travis Hunter committed to Jackson State University, AfroTech reported that his last-minute decision to switch may have netted him a seven-figure NIL deal.

“Rumors have been circulating about the five-star defensive back landing what’s said to be a seven-figure name, image, and likeness (NIL) deal with Barstool Sports and Penn National Gaming,” we reported.

By the Numbers: Unavailable, but rumored to be in the seven figures.
------------

The University of Central Florida wide receiver has not one, not two, but three NIL deals, proving that he’s one of the hottest prospects in the sports industry today, according to Sports Illustrated.

His most recent NIL deal was with Your Brand Voice, a digital marketing company in Orlando, FL. Prior to that, he signed a NIL deal with Travous Dever, a real estate agent in the area. And his first NIL deal came from JS2 Cattle Company, located in Geneva, FL.
-------------
Alabama Crimson Tide freshman Ga’Quincy McKinstry’s NIL deal was a full-circle moment. From his childhood to his collegiate career, his nickname has been “Kool-Aid.” Then, he partnered with the drink company itself.
--------------
According to USA Today, Kayshon Butte — who plays football with LSU — announced that he’d signed a NIL deal in January 2022 with attorney Gordon McKernan, who is based in Baton Rouge, LA.

“Gordon is a great man looking to help out the LSU football program and its players. Very excited to work with Big G and see what the future holds,” Boutte said in a press release on Gordon McKernan Injury Attorneys’ website.
-----------------
17-year-old Mikey Williams was signed to a NIL deal with PUMA while he was still in high school. Although he’s not eligible for the NBA draft until 2024, Williams’ deal was historic in that he became the first American high school basketball player to sign a sneaker deal with a global footwear company, ESPN reports.
----------------

NIL is going to be the death of college football as we know it and love it. This whole NIL thing is going to get very crooked very fast. Good thing I am getting old so I have fewer years left to watch this crap play out. LOL

I agree with your basic premise that NIL is going to be the death of college sports as we knew them, but the NIL concept is not "crooked"; it has been legalized by the United States Supreme Court.

This is the one hope, barring a change in the law. Boosters at every level could end up concluding that the whole thing is beyond their ability to fund and manage it.

I hate the whole thing for college football but don't blame the players one bit for getting paid. Also, fighting and being stubborn about it isn't going to win many games .

If this Twitter account is to be believed then it sounds like 30 schools may break away and form their own thing. Also talks a lot about what Big Ten schools are offering, some that don't care.

OSU has set up a Foundation to promote NIL, with Urban Meyer at the helm. This is a major development IMO, and is simply the beginning of all this. It will be a quasi-pro sport very soon, if not already.

There is no doubt that KF is close to losing his lunch over this - and I admire that in him. The entire NIL thing is a disgrace to college sports and it will prove to be the undoing of it as we know it. Hopefully it will morph into something just as much fun.

Lincoln has a population of 283,000, which is larger than the 380 corridor (250k?), but corridor businesses are simply not as irrational about Iowa sports at the Lincoln businesses probably are.

OSU. Mich, Nebby are likely to have millions to throw around. It's just another thing that destroys parity.
And just when parity was starting to creep in, just a tad (with Cinci getting into the final 4).

Telling ya, there will be 2 D1 divisions within the next 5yrs if NIL isn't controlled or eliminated. There are 20-25 "Big" named schools that will be D1A\Semi-pro and have multi-million dollar NIL deals for the 5* and highly regarded4* athletes. The Iowa's of the world will be in the Small Business equivalent category or the D1B division.

There will be 2 National championships played for. The "student" athlete will virtually no longer exist in D1A. D1B will be on the CBS, ABC, NBC while D1A will be on Prime, ESPN, and other "pay" sites to keep their revenue stream flowing.

Reactions: bumpstock
Iowa better get their shit together with NIL.

All this just shows the Frost cannot win with kids he recruited, he will probably hit that magic "keep your job number" of wins, but the Nebby donors will get soured quickly when they have to shell out even more money to keep a 8 win coach around, plus pay for talent.

And just when parity was starting to creep in, just a tad (with Cinci getting into the final 4).

Telling ya, there will be 2 D1 divisions within the next 5yrs if NIL isn't controlled or eliminated. There are 20-25 "Big" named schools that will be D1A\Semi-pro and have multi-million dollar NIL deals for the 5* and highly regarded4* athletes. The Iowa's of the world will be in the Small Business equivalent category or the D1B division.

There will be 2 National championships played for. The "student" athlete will virtually no longer exist in D1A. D1B will be on the CBS, ABC, NBC while D1A will be on Prime, ESPN, and other "pay" sites to keep their revenue stream flowing.
I think you're very close to describing the future of college football.

Reactions: obfuscating

There is no parity. Remember when Kansas football played in the Orange Bowl in the last decade or two? Sometimes teams just hit a short term combo that executes.

There is no parity. Remember when Kansas football played in the Orange Bowl in the last decade or two? Sometimes teams just hit a short term combo that executes.
More parity now then ever before. Still have the top 10 that will always be the top 10. Going undefeated is pretty difficult now, even the IAA top tier teams compete and at times beat a top 25 D1. NIL will cause another chasm that will be difficult to overcome for most teams under the top 15.

While I am no fan of NIL, I have also not been a fan of all the corruption and cheating that has gone on in college sports either. So I do think something had to be done although it sure seems like the wild west right now.

I think if Iowa's athletic department is going to be dependent on big donors and the private sector to keep up with the competition with regards to NIL is just lazy. It does kind of seem like the department has kind of thrown its hands up and said, "hey kids, if you want to go make some money you are free to do it, but we really don't want anything to do with it". But on the flip side, the University has no problem licensing the tigerhawk logo out to whoever is willing to pay a royalty.

So if I was the AD, this is what I would do:

1. First thing would be to re-structure the athletic department top to bottom. Just brainstorming here, but I think it would be necessary to place marketing/merchandising, licensing and recruiting under the same umbrella. These endeavors all have to work hand-in-hand, and from the very beginning of recruitment there needs to be a team consisting of the recruiting coordinator, coach(es), and marketing involved.
2. The next thing is for the university to develop a merchandising agreement with each player (standard as an athlete), implement strategies to not only offer but promote individual merchandising opportunities. There should be no reason that only a few football or basketball jerseys are offered for sale. Every player needs to have at minimum their jersey offered for sale, but on top of that, merchandise that is specific for a particular sport, i.e. football, should have a percentage of the proceeds go to the general football NIL fund that would be split evenly among the players. The biggie biggie biggie here is whether or not the university is going to allow the athlete the usage of the Iowa trademarks including the tigerhawk.
3. I would also implement a "branding" department that would be available to help the players do exactly how it is named, build their brand. A lot of interns could be utilized here. This would consist of so many things: licensing and trademarking (like Tory Taylor's slogan), building and maintaining websites and online stores, legal agreements, merchandising contacts, etc. There is so much money to be made here by the athlete and the university of it is done right. It is not even that far away from providing representation of the athlete, because, if you think about it, why give all of that money away to Klutch Sports or some other agent when the school had a relationship with the player for much longer. Lets say that Old Spice wants to do a commercial with Keegan Murray? Instead of just allowing it to happen and let the Murray's try to fumble through the complexities of contractual agreements and negotiations, instead either Old Spice contacts the university or the university promotes the athlete through one of their partners and the university handles all of the business end of things and Keegan does the commercial and cashes his check. Why, again, allow all of that opportunity to be wasted and not taken advantage of.
4. One more thing I would do within the athletic department would be to have an outside sales team that actively procured marketing opportunities for the athletes, as well as providing a central location for fans or businesses to go to in order to request an athlete ambassador. This would be everything from TV and radio ads, personal appearances, birthday parties, camps, autograph signings, etc. This would then not just be available to those that have the contacts of knowing someone that knows someone, but a real professional way for the public to utilize these resources. I want to have a Hawkeye football player or two come to by 8 year old kids' birthday party for 2 hours and I am willing to spend 800-1000 bucks, this should be easy. I have a small business and I want to have them come to a grand opening? Call the number.

There are a whole host of other ideas, but these are just a few. The bottomline is that as long as there are fans that are willing to spend money then there is opportunity for everyone involved. Luka could have made a billion dollars because he was so good and such a great ambassador for the program, but hell, who wouldn't still buy a "Little Lick" jersey as a gag gift? I think there are so so so many opportunities for all of the athletes as well as the athletic department. And it goes much much further than what we are seeing right now which is the lazy way of doing things like "if you come to this school you will get a new Range Rover". In some instances that athlete will be cutting his own throat by taking that deal instead of a percentage of merchandise. If I was the athlete, I would bet on my myself, take the percentage without a cap and then play my ass off.

While I am no fan of NIL, I have also not been a fan of all the corruption and cheating that has gone on in college sports either. So I do think something had to be done although it sure seems like the wild west right now.

I think if Iowa's athletic department is going to be dependent on big donors and the private sector to keep up with the competition with regards to NIL is just lazy. It does kind of seem like the department has kind of thrown its hands up and said, "hey kids, if you want to go make some money you are free to do it, but we really don't want anything to do with it". But on the flip side, the University has no problem licensing the tigerhawk logo out to whoever is willing to pay a royalty.

So if I was the AD, this is what I would do:

1. First thing would be to re-structure the athletic department top to bottom. Just brainstorming here, but I think it would be necessary to place marketing/merchandising, licensing and recruiting under the same umbrella. These endeavors all have to work hand-in-hand, and from the very beginning of recruitment there needs to be a team consisting of the recruiting coordinator, coach(es), and marketing involved.
2. The next thing is for the university to develop a merchandising agreement with each player (standard as an athlete), implement strategies to not only offer but promote individual merchandising opportunities. There should be no reason that only a few football or basketball jerseys are offered for sale. Every player needs to have at minimum their jersey offered for sale, but on top of that, merchandise that is specific for a particular sport, i.e. football, should have a percentage of the proceeds go to the general football NIL fund that would be split evenly among the players. The biggie biggie biggie here is whether or not the university is going to allow the athlete the usage of the Iowa trademarks including the tigerhawk.
3. I would also implement a "branding" department that would be available to help the players do exactly how it is named, build their brand. A lot of interns could be utilized here. This would consist of so many things: licensing and trademarking (like Tory Taylor's slogan), building and maintaining websites and online stores, legal agreements, merchandising contacts, etc. There is so much money to be made here by the athlete and the university of it is done right. It is not even that far away from providing representation of the athlete, because, if you think about it, why give all of that money away to Klutch Sports or some other agent when the school had a relationship with the player for much longer. Lets say that Old Spice wants to do a commercial with Keegan Murray? Instead of just allowing it to happen and let the Murray's try to fumble through the complexities of contractual agreements and negotiations, instead either Old Spice contacts the university or the university promotes the athlete through one of their partners and the university handles all of the business end of things and Keegan does the commercial and cashes his check. Why, again, allow all of that opportunity to be wasted and not taken advantage of.
4. One more thing I would do within the athletic department would be to have an outside sales team that actively procured marketing opportunities for the athletes, as well as providing a central location for fans or businesses to go to in order to request an athlete ambassador. This would be everything from TV and radio ads, personal appearances, birthday parties, camps, autograph signings, etc. This would then not just be available to those that have the contacts of knowing someone that knows someone, but a real professional way for the public to utilize these resources. I want to have a Hawkeye football player or two come to by 8 year old kids' birthday party for 2 hours and I am willing to spend 800-1000 bucks, this should be easy. I have a small business and I want to have them come to a grand opening? Call the number.

There are a whole host of other ideas, but these are just a few. The bottomline is that as long as there are fans that are willing to spend money then there is opportunity for everyone involved. Luka could have made a billion dollars because he was so good and such a great ambassador for the program, but hell, who wouldn't still buy a "Little Lick" jersey as a gag gift? I think there are so so so many opportunities for all of the athletes as well as the athletic department. And it goes much much further than what we are seeing right now which is the lazy way of doing things like "if you come to this school you will get a new Range Rover". In some instances that athlete will be cutting his own throat by taking that deal instead of a percentage of merchandise. If I was the athlete, I would bet on my myself, take the percentage without a cap and then play my ass off.

Iowa already has the NIL branding support in place....has been since late last summer. Iowa cannot participate directly in NIL...cannot pay players for their NIL or serve as an intermediary for NIL contracts. They can educate the players, but they cannot participate.

Iowa already has the NIL branding support in place....has been since late last summer. Iowa cannot participate directly in NIL...cannot pay players for their NIL or serve as an intermediary for NIL contracts. They can educate the players, but they cannot participate.
I didn't know they couldn't be an intermediary. I don't understand that, all it does is let that part of it be unregulated while the cheaters are going to be the intermediary. But, whatever.

That is interesting about the branding support. Do you know in more detail what they are doing with that?

I didn't know they couldn't be an intermediary. I don't understand that, all it does is let that part of it be unregulated while the cheaters are going to be the intermediary. But, whatever.

That is interesting about the branding support. Do you know in more detail what they are doing with that?
FLIGHT

ADVERTISEMENT