ADVERTISEMENT

New NIL World

percyland

HR MVP
Apr 16, 2011
Listening to the podcast Bussin with The Boys they stopped in Lincoln and talked with Frost and the new QB transfer from Texas. Hearing how they are concentrating on NIL is a bit concerning because I’m guessing our coach who happens to be Medicare age isn’t on board with doing as much as he can to get payers money.

As much as I dislike Fros, and Nebraksa is a garbage program Frost says he hates the new NIL world but it’s currently the game being played so they are going to play it the best they can. They said they have multiple companies in Lincoln that are specifically there to help Football players get money. Do they have these in Iowa city?

The new QB transfer into Nebraksa said most starters for Nebraska are making at least 6 figures. Said he could probably double his money if he took all opportunities but is being selective. Again I think Nebraksa is trash but if they can throw 6 figures$$ in cash at each starter that has to help with recruiting.

Reactions: mikesright
The new QB transfer into Nebraksa said most starters for Nebraska are making at least 6 figures. Said he could probably double his money if he took all opportunities but is being selective. Again I think Nebraksa is trash but if they can throw 6 figures$$ in cash at each starter that has to help with recruiting.
and I thought I was overpaid

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Some how I don’t believe a college kid is leaving over $100k on the board for being selective.

I do wish there was a more concerted effort in reaching out to Iowa fans and setting something up. I know plenty of fans that would donate to funds but have no idea how or where.

Some how I don’t believe a college kid is leaving over $100k on the board for being selective.

I do wish there was a more concerted effort in reaching out to Iowa fans and setting something up. I know plenty of fans that would donate to funds but have no idea how or where.
He said that he got offers from places like OnlyFans for like QB lessons and other weird websites he passed on. Talked about money from car dealerships. Again apparently there are a few companies in Lincoln that the sole purpose is to get Nebraska players money. Something unfortunately I think Iowa is going to be very slow at. Hell KF just recently allowed Twitter.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
OSU has set up a Foundation to promote NIL, with Urban Meyer at the helm. This is a major development IMO, and is simply the beginning of all this. It will be a quasi-pro sport very soon, if not already.

There is no doubt that KF is close to losing his lunch over this - and I admire that in him. The entire NIL thing is a disgrace to college sports and it will prove to be the undoing of it as we know it. Hopefully it will morph into something just as much fun.

Lincoln has a population of 283,000, which is larger than the 380 corridor (250k?), but corridor businesses are simply not as irrational about Iowa sports at the Lincoln businesses probably are.

OSU. Mich, Nebby are likely to have millions to throw around. It's just another thing that destroys parity.

Listening to the podcast Bussin with The Boys they stopped in Lincoln and talked with Frost and the new QB transfer from Texas. Hearing how they are concentrating on NIL is a bit concerning because I’m guessing our coach who happens to be Medicare age isn’t on board with doing as much as he can to get payers money.

As much as I dislike Fros, and Nebraksa is a garbage program Frost says he hates the new NIL world but it’s currently the game being played so they are going to play it the best they can. They said they have multiple companies in Lincoln that are specifically there to help Football players get money. Do they have these in Iowa city?

I’m hearing our sports marketing dept is more of a hindrance so far vs an asset when compared to other schools.
Just sayin.

Combine this with the new transfer policy and only a few schools will ever have the talent to compete for a national title. It will be the same 4-6 teams in the CFP every year. Oh, wait…….

It sucks, but hasn’t changed things a whole lot. Programs like Iowa will still need to win with development and culture.

Oh, and the Hawks will continue to kick Nebraska’s ass.

I thought the QB from TX trashed the Longhorn fball team for not getting enough players cars--said only 3 plyers got cars. Said at Neb. if you start you get a car. Said like 17-18 players have cars now.

• Angry
Reactions: scotthawk1964
Combine this with the new transfer policy and only a few schools will ever have the talent to compete for a national title. It will be the same 4-6 teams in the CFP every year. Oh, wait…….

It sucks, but hasn’t changed things a whole lot. Programs like Iowa will still need to win with development and culture.

Oh, and the Hawks will continue to kick Nebraska’s ass.
funny stuff--tell Nebby we will give them the first 85 picks and we will take the leftovers and still smoke em.......

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
NIL is going to be the death of college football as we know it and love it. This whole NIL thing is going to get very crooked very fast. Good thing I am getting old so I have fewer years left to watch this crap play out. LOL
In combination with the transfer rules, I think you are spot on. Obviously blue bloods will use NIL $$ to lure players from other programs to shore up their rosters, widening the gap considerably. It's already started and will only get worse.

Texas A&M went whole hog into NIL this past class. One student athlete signee has a deal that could end up paying out $8 million over his career there. They basically signed the best class in college football history. Iowa's not going to compete in that space, but college sports isn't fair anyways. Continue to build the program and good things with donors will happen. But Iowa better get its own NIL collective together sooner rather than later.

OSU has set up a Foundation to promote NIL, with Urban Meyer at the helm. This is a major development IMO, and is simply the beginning of all this. It will be a quasi-pro sport very soon, if not already.

There is no doubt that KF is close to losing his lunch over this - and I admire that in him. The entire NIL thing is a disgrace to college sports and it will prove to be the undoing of it as we know it. Hopefully it will morph into something just as much fun.

Lincoln has a population of 283,000, which is larger than the 380 corridor (250k?), but corridor businesses are simply not as irrational about Iowa sports at the Lincoln businesses probably are.

OSU. Mich, Nebby are likely to have millions to throw around. It's just another thing that destroys parity.
The corridor is like 450k people

I thought the QB from TX trashed the Longhorn fball team for not getting enough players cars--said only 3 plyers got cars. Said at Neb. if you start you get a car. Said like 17-18 players have cars now.
If you start….. 11 on each side…..17-18 have cars….. so not all starters.

If fans are unhappy with the NIL opportunities at Iowa then it's up to the fans to change that. The burden is on the fans and the community not the AD or coaches. Iowa has a good season ticket holder base, but that doesn't translate to a strong donor base. In the end, I don't think it's a big deal either way. Iowa doesn't have the capability to win Conference or National Championships so it's not like NIL is going to cost Iowa something they would gotten otherwise.

I was at the Iowa Nebraska basketball game in Lincoln this year.
Iowa does a halftime golf putt across the floor for football season tickets.
Nebraska did a golf putt across the floor for a Porsche Cayenne…

Reactions: michael.nelson311
NIL and the transfer rules are gross and are going to change college football for the worse no doubt. But if you’re playing college football that’s the new rules. Iowa is going to need better NIL strategy not just to win but just to stay competitive. Not having NIL in this day and age would be like not having a mobile quarterback… oh wait we haven’t quite upgraded to that either

Reactions: MVPFAN
NCAA football has always been a big business. Now that the players are getting fair compensation, coaches need to treat that aspect like any big business. Hopefully we hire someone or have someone in place to go out and get our major donors to give cash so we can compete. Unfortunately, we’ll never be able to compete with major markets and programs with larger bases.

If fans are unhappy with the NIL opportunities at Iowa then it's up to the fans to change that. The burden is on the fans and the community not the AD or coaches. Iowa has a good season ticket holder base, but that doesn't translate to a strong donor base. In the end, I don't think it's a big deal either way. Iowa doesn't have the capability to win Conference or National Championships so it's not like NIL is going to cost Iowa something they would gotten otherwise.
Okay so I'm confused Why exactly is it on "the fans' to change things? The Name Image and Likeness rules were created for the athletes to be compensated for the usages of those three things. For instance if they are used in commercials or if THEY sell something using their Name Image or Likeness. Its not a wait for the fans to start sending you envelopes of $$ or for the bag man to show up at their door. I can't understand why people keep posting that the "fans" are supposed to be "donating" in an attempt to recruit players. That's not why this was created, and frankly neither is players getting free cars unless their actually doing commercials or somehow actually working for car dealerships. None of this other crap falls under the NIL, and is still just illegal under the table crap as far as I understand it. This is NOT a FAN issue......

NCAA football has always been a big business. Now that the players are getting fair compensation, coaches need to treat that aspect like any big business. Hopefully we hire someone or have someone in place to go out and get our major donors to give cash so we can compete. Unfortunately, we’ll never be able to compete with major markets and programs with larger bases.
Again, I don't believe they can just GIVE them cash. Its supposed to be compensation for the use of their NIL, its not supposed to be a handout. This was created so that if the school or some entity sells say jersey's with the players name on them, then they should get a cut. If the school or someone shows clips or recruiting messages with their image, then they should get a cut. If they do a commercial or autograph signing, they can be paid for that. It was never created for someone to just show up with your bag of $$. Hopefully at some point this will all be better defined, but the NCAA generally appears toothless so we'll see...

Iowa’s donor base is significant both athletically and academic.

The school will have to figure out how donations to a nil fund for sports equals a donation to the i club or foundation. They will also have to make future contracts for clothes, ads, etc split into some nil opportunities for athletes vs straight into UI coffers.
This will be needed to remain competitive.

Reactions: mikesright
Okay so I'm confused Why exactly is it on "the fans' to change things? The Name Image and Likeness rules were created for the athletes to be compensated for the usages of those three things. For instance if they are used in commercials or if THEY sell something using their Name Image or Likeness. Its not a wait for the fans to start sending you envelopes of $$ or for the bag man to show up at their door. I can't understand why people keep posting that the "fans" are supposed to be "donating" in an attempt to recruit players. That's not why this was created, and frankly neither is players getting free cars unless their actually doing commercials or somehow actually working for car dealerships. None of this other crap falls under the NIL, and is still just illegal under the table crap as far as I understand it. This is NOT a FAN issue......

You're exactly right. The way the NCAA set this up is it wasn't supposed to be used for recruiting purposes. The intent of it was for an athlete to deal strictly with an entity AFTER he's already started playing for said college, not before; the schools were to play no part in it. Somehow, the NCAA has already allowed the lines to become blurred.

I think this shores up in 3-5 years. The folks handing out the $ and cars will get burned a few times on kids that dont pan out, get in trouble or transfer. Second, there are only so many 5 star or high 4 star athletes to go around. If they end up at the typical blue blood schools anyway there wont be much of a difference in distribution of these players. There is only so much playing time to go around at these schools too. All these guys want to see the field because the NFL money is better than NIL money.

If you start….. 11 on each side…..17-18 have cars….. so not all starters.
We are in spring ball...maybe he meant returning starters and locks? Not a single school in the country is returning all 22 starters from last year...

That's because the university is SUPPOSED to be nowhere NIL initiatives.

Iowa doesn’t have the capability to win conference championships???

NIL will either end D1 football as we know it and force a "minor league" for NIL teams, or it will turn into such a scandal that many teams end up sanctioned\penalized\ending their program.

When you get money involved (at the level that NIL is getting to) in college sports, not much good can come from it.

Iowa is so far behind the times not only with their Offense, but with any "new" ways to compete (NIL and Transfer portal). If change happens it will have to be donors planting a flag and saying "we demand change".

NIL will either end D1 football as we know it and force a "minor league" for NIL teams, or it will turn into such a scandal that many teams end up sanctioned\penalized\ending their program.

When you get money involved (at the level that NIL is getting to) in college sports, not much good can come from it.

Iowa is so far behind the times not only with their Offense, but with any "new" ways to compete (NIL and Transfer portal). If change happens it will have to be donors planting a flag and saying "we demand change".
Ive asked many times on here...How much money is really there to pay college athletes? There is only so much money that is available to give to college programs so there is a limit somewhere. I dont think too many, if any, schools have the donors to be playing multiple player 6 to 7 figure deals and a annual basis. So many of these deals will fall through, kids will leave programs, kids wont pan out, kids get in trouble, teams dont pan out etc. These donors will stop giving. Coaces will avoid schools where the donors are paying the high dollars because they will want immediate results, or else. The big city schools donors dont pay near as much attention to collage sports as they do pros. Here in PHX we never see college athletes on commercial/billboards etc...Its always the cardinals, coyotes or the suns players.

Reactions: desihawk and MVPFAN
I think there's a certain segment of the Iowa fan base who feel like, we're competing now-we'll be just as competitive in 5 years, the NIL doesn't affect us, we're a "development" program. My response would be past performance isn't indicative of future success. The Hawks doing good in the first year of NIL doesn't mean it won't kill us a few years down the line. One mediocre year will be all it takes for the outcry to really kick in.

I think there's a certain segment of the Iowa fan base who feel like, we're competing now-we'll be just as competitive in 5 years, the NIL doesn't affect us, we're a "development" program. My response would be past performance isn't indicative of future success. The Hawks doing good in the first year of NIL doesn't mean it won't kill us a few years down the line. One mediocre year will be all it takes for the outcry to really kick in.
How many Iowa players in the last 5 years would have got more NIL money elsewhere? If it hurts Iowa it wont be because we cant get the players we usually get, it will be because other teams that we normally beat can take more advantage of NIL.

NIL is just another brick in the wall.

all-in-all-you-re-just-another-brick-in-the-wall.png

Again, I don't believe they can just GIVE them cash. Its supposed to be compensation for the use of their NIL, its not supposed to be a handout. This was created so that if the school or some entity sells say jersey's with the players name on them, then they should get a cut. If the school or someone shows clips or recruiting messages with their image, then they should get a cut. If they do a commercial or autograph signing, they can be paid for that. It was never created for someone to just show up with your bag of $$. Hopefully at some point this will all be better defined, but the NCAA generally appears toothless so we'll see...
My brother was approached by a group starting a nil fund for iowa. Guessing they are starting with large donors first.

NIL is going to be the death of college football as we know it and love it. This whole NIL thing is going to get very crooked very fast. Good thing I am getting old so I have fewer years left to watch this crap play out. LOL
Luckily it will implode eventually. Boosters won't be able to afford to pay millions of dollars on the side for class after class that may or may not perform well and also keep donating millions of dollars to athletic departments forever. Going to be a lot of athletes that blow their money and owe a lot of taxes.

ADVERTISEMENT