ADVERTISEMENT

New PG Prospect: JUCO

JerryDennard

HR MVP
Feb 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Would come in as Soph: 6'2", 200 lbs

Stats: 21.5 pts / 40 min. 7.1 ppg / 13 mpg. 50% FG. 41.7% 3Pt. 78.8% FT. 1.2 Steals PG. 4.4 Assists PG. 1.7 TOs pg. (CORRECTED)

Why not Devontae Lane? He already works and plays well with the Brothers McCaffrey....

Last edited:
Sorry didn't see your post L Wade.

I think 7 ppg is misleading bc he only played 13 mpg. Points per 40 min is standardizing.

Point is: he's obviously good with both McCaffrey boys, he's a winner, he's right here in our backyard... why reach for an unknown like Hutchins?

Reactions: brokenarrow73

I think 7 ppg is misleading bc he only played 13 mpg. Points per 40 min is standardizing.

Point is: he's obviously good with both McCaffrey boys, he's a winner, he's right here in our backyard... why reach for an unknown like Hutchins?

Why is he only playing 13 minutes a game in JUCO? That’s a little troubling.

Last edited:
Indian Hills has someone that could help the Hawkeyes virtually every year. I do not think that is Lane. Maybe he will make a big jump his sophomore year...?

That noted, wasn't he the best player his senior year for IC West? I do not know. But I do remember hearing his name a lot...

He hasn't earned a spot on the Hawkeye roster yet, but I would sure take him as a walkon! Then, if he deserves it, give him a scholly. Baer style. Earn it....

Indian Hills has someone that could help the Hawkeyes virtually every year. I do not think that is Lane. Maybe he will make a big jump his sophomore year...?

That noted, wasn't he the best player his senior year for IC West? I do not know. But I do remember hearing his name a lot...

He hasn't earned a spot on the Hawkeye roster yet, but I would sure take him as a walkon! Then, if he deserves it, give him a scholly. Baer style. Earn it....
Lane will play for free somewhere. He probably won’t be walking on somewhere.

Reactions: Mitjacks
Ive always thought of Lane as a better athlete than ball player, but thats not based on any real scouting. Anybody think otherwise that has seen him play more? I thought the same think about Wes but he really improved at UNI. If I was Lane that is where I would go.

I’m not a math major, but 34.5 points per 40 minutes doesn’t seem like the right extrapolation for 7 ppg in 13 mpg...

The dog days of summer basketball, meh. I remember when people cared about the dog days: Legend used to be on statistics patrol & he would have eaten your face for such a blatant error let alone the stretch of faith.

Yeah it is hard enough keeping track of the players we are recruiting. When people throw out names of people our coaches haven't scouted it get real confusing

At least this kid is a IC kid I guess

Yeah, for him to not be playing D1 ball at all is probably not a great sign.

Yeah it is hard enough keeping track of the players we are recruiting. When people throw out names of people our coaches haven't scouted it get real confusing
looks-like-clickbait-gang-lets-search-the-comment-section-for-clues.jpg

What is the interest level in Gordon, and what schools would we be competing with? Didn't see much in the recruiting database when I looked a while ago.

Not uncommon for true freshmen to not play big minutes when the sophomores are typically getting showcased for offers in the coming year. IHCC has a couple really good sophomore guards.

Ali Farokhmanesh barely played his freshman year at Indian Hills and ended up transferring to Kirkwood.

Eh got me on a stupid math error.

Look, I'm just saying, if we just need your standard "good athlete, good ball-handler, good A/TO ratio, hits 3s, decent defender" at PG - like a Bryce Cartwright or a "game manager QB" - who can compete but won't poison the locker room if he doesn't play 30 minute a game in his first year...

... isn't that Devontae Lane?

We're not going to get a generational talent in 2019. We're gonna get a serviceable player to backup CMac and JBo. Devontae at least would come in with 2 years of experience (unless we brought him in now, not sure if we could).

Any 4-5 star PG we recruit for 2020 / 2021 we can still sell playing time, be the franchise, here are the keys.

Last edited:
Eh got me on a stupid math error.

Look, I'm just saying, if we just need your standard "good athlete, good ball-handler, good A/TO ratio, hits 3s, decent defender" at PG - like a Bryce Cartwright or a "game manager QB" - who can compete but won't poison the locker room if he doesn't play 30 minute a game in his first year...

... isn't that Devontae Lane?

We're not going to get a generational talent in 2019. We're gonna get a serviceable player to backup CMac and JBo. Devontae at least would come in with 2 years of experience (unless we brought him in now, not sure if we could).

Any 4-5 star PG we recruit for 2020 / 2021 we can still sell playing time, be the franchise, here are the keys.
I think it is a valid observation. We keep wanting this highly ranked point guard recruit. But clearly we could have used someone similar to Bryce on recent rosters.

I think it is a valid observation. We keep wanting this highly ranked point guard recruit. But clearly we could have used someone similar to Bryce on recent rosters.

That might be an argument some fans would make, but it does not appear to be the head coaches position. What we've seen in the recent past are attempts at "big time" point guards with high level handles and superior drive and dish ability. When he doesn't get them, though, the fallbacks have not been of that type/style.

That might be an argument some fans would make, but it does not appear to be the head coaches position. What we've seen in the recent past are attempts at "big time" point guards with high level handles and superior drive and dish ability. When he doesn't get them, though, the fallbacks have not been of that type/style.
That is curious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT