ADVERTISEMENT

New revenue share proposal in Cali

I read something about this and it's incredibly complex. Also it will likely face Title IX challenges.

Edit: Link attached
Pay for play

Last edited:
Direct compensation for players is coming fairly soon. I don’t believe a rev share is the answer but a uniform salary cap may be.

So, scholarships are a thing of the past now and will have to pay for their education?
How will taxes play a role in all this?

Imagine the accounting games that will occur with this....

That being said require all athletes to sign an agreement that states the schools get a percentage of any NIL deal. Add in to it that the school a player starts with gets a cut of any future NIL deal if a player should transfer.

Then layer in Revenue sharing as well.

How about this: 100% of TV money is divided among the athletes. The bigger TV deal a team/conference can get (ie: the more popular a team/conference is), the more money the athletes get.

Teams in smaller conferences manage to run athletic programs without TV money, so big schools should be able to give up that money without a problem.

Taking money from money generating sports is going to lead to a lot of non-revenue generating sports being cut since they fund those. Not to mention this will be a title IX debacle when men’s basketball players start getting more than women’s.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
How about this: 100% of TV money is divided among the athletes. The bigger TV deal a team/conference can get (ie: the more popular a team/conference is), the more money the athletes get.

Teams in smaller conferences manage to run athletic programs without TV money, so big schools should be able to give up that money without a problem.
Did I miss a sarcasm emoji. If not you may want to brush up on how those smaller schools run/fund their athletic departments. 18 of 229 public division one schools generated more revenue than they spent. At small schools say a UNI 61% of their revenue comes from government/school and student fees.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Did I miss a sarcasm emoji. If not you may want to brush up on how those smaller schools run/fund their athletic departments. 18 of 229 public division one schools generated more revenue than they spent. At small schools say a UNI 61% of their revenue comes from government/school and student fees.
Yeah, I’m going to admit to being naive here.

So if small schools find it beneficial to continue athletic programs via government/school funding and student fees, why couldn’t large schools?

I guess the point I was trying to make (and it might be a bad one) is that is doesn’t seem like schools are necessarily dependent on TV money to run their athletic programs. It they were, small schools wouldn’t have athletics.

In general, I am not at all a fan of paying student-athletes, but since we are pretty clearly too far down that path to turn back now, I was just spitballing ideas.

Said it a long time ago d1 will split into scholarship vs no scholarship (paid athletes).
Everyone will suffer because we can’t say no anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT