ADVERTISEMENT

New Spring Depth Chart

Apr 8, 2003
The spring prospectus, including new depth chart, is now online, linked below.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/hawkeyesports.com/documents/2017/3/20/2017_Spring_Prospectus.pdf

C7Yk5VwVoAAkiFD.jpg

C7YlWmWVwAQtSmA.jpg

Reactions: StallmanCurse
Vandeberg not listed at WR, but he is still returning punts and kicks!

My biggest "nice to see" is Devonte Young listed #1 at WR, PR and KR.

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
Vandeberg not listed at WR, but he is still returning punts and kicks!

My biggest "nice to see" is Devonte Young listed #1 at WR, PR and KR.
Pretty pumped to see A Jackson in the 2 deeps at left tackle. Hoping he'll progress to where he can take that spot and keep it sometime next season. At 6'7" and 320, thats one big dude!

This will probably be a pretty tough year to be honest. New system, new coaches (all positive in my opinion), but we're young, loss a lot of key players and the offense will only go as far as Akrum and Stanley's progress takes us.

Reactions: PinkLockerRoom
Here are the updates compared to what they listed in January.

SE - Devonte Young, Adrian Falconer (In Jan it was Jerminic Smith, Devonte Young)
LT - Boone Myers, Alaric Jackson (same)
LG - Keegan Render, Ross Reynolds (same)
C - James Daniels, Lucas LeGrand, Cole Banwart (Banwart is new)
RG - Sean Welsh, Levi Paulsen (same)
RT - Ike Boettger, Dalton Ferguson (same)
TE - Peter Pekar, Noah Fant
WR - Jerminic Smith, Nick Easley (It was Matt VandeBerg, Jay Scheel in Jan)
QB - Nathan Stanley, Tyler Wiegers, Drew Cook (same)
FB - Brady Ross, Austin Kelly (Drake Kulick, Brady Ross in Jan)
RB - Akrum Wadley, Toks Akinribade (Mitchell was still listed in Jan)

DE - Anthony Nelson, Matt Nelson (same)
DT - Cedrick Lattimore, Brady Reiff (Garrett Jansen was also listed in Jan)
DT - Nathan Bazata, Jake Hulett (same)
DE - Parker Hesse, Sam Brincks (same)
OLB - Ben Niemann, Kevin Ward, Kristian Welch (same)
MLB - Josey Jewell, Jack Hockaday, Angelo Garbutt (same)
WLB - Bo Bower, Amani Jones, Aaron Mends (same)
CB - Joshua Jackson, Michael Ojemudia (Ojemudia was listed as the starter in Jan)
CB - Manny Rugamba, Cedric Boswell (same)
SS - Miles Taylor, Amani Hooker (same)
FS - Brandon Snyder, Jake Gervase (same)

This will probably be a pretty tough year to be honest. New system, new coaches (all positive in my opinion), but we're young, loss a lot of key players and the offense will only go as far as Akrum and Stanley's progress takes us.
I don't know. I doubt the system will be all that different. Hopefully some nice tweeks to the passing game, but the premise of the offense will be the same. Also not sure we lost "a lot of key players", either. On defense we lost Jaleel, and King. Still think the defense will be very solid. Young corners showed promise last year. I'm confident we'll figure out the D line in the first couple of games. On offense we lost CJ, Kittle, and L Daniels. CJ and Kittle were hurt quite a bit last year, and under performed. Excited to see what Stanley's got. I think we'll be better at tight end with Fant, Hock, Beyer, and Pekar, Wisneiski.. We'll be fine at running back. Offensive line should be at least as good hopefully better. Think Ike is ready to step forward at one tackle if he can stay on the field. Hopefully A Jackson pushes Meyer to step up or step out of the way at left tackle. Damn solid up the middle on offensive line. I would think we lost fewer key players than most of the teams in the BIG. Looking forward to this season.

A little early to get on the hate train isn't boys? Damn. Haven't even got to Spring drills and already on it for some of you.
I am not hating, just disconcerting to see Bower at the top of the WLB food chain.

Motivational 2 deeps without freshman. I doubt this will be the same for the opener.

Young must be impressing, or Falconer is unimpressive in practice.

This is a major Jerminic Smith "show me" year. If he doesn't impress this year he's a lost cause.

Where is this guy???? Where is that guy???? This "kid" sucks....that kid sucks???? Our offense is terrible???? Coaches know nothing!!!! Comical how little people actually know about football and how much they think they know at the same time.

While we may not be stacked with highly rated receivers, we do have a new offensive coordinator, several new coaches and a talented young QB's. Let's give them all a chance to see what they can do to improve the run-pass balance on this years team. I believe it can only be better than what we saw last year.

Kind of surprised one the nelsons hasn't moved to DT.

Kirk addressed that in pressed. Said will try Matt at DT this Spring to see how he does. Anthony will be staying at DE as he doesn't have size Matt has

From what I recall, he LEAD the TEAM in Tackles in several games.

You never played football, right K O K ??
He seemed to show good progress throughout the year but then crapped the bed in the OB. Hopefully that was a fluke and he'll look better with another year under his belt

Reactions: K OKeefe
Pretty pumped to see A Jackson in the 2 deeps at left tackle. Hoping he'll progress to where he can take that spot and keep it sometime next season. At 6'7" and 320, thats one big dude!

That's fine as long as Boone then moves to guard. He's a pretty good as a road grader.

It's almost hard to believe that the O-line might be improved after winning the Joe Moore trophy but it looks like it could be even nastier next year. It's a great time to be an Iowa running back.............

Reactions: RogerKint
That's fine as long as Boone then moves to guard. He's a pretty good as a road grader.
Whatever makes the Hawks better. The coaches say Boone is an excellent athlete, but he doesn't seem to have the quickness to keep end rushers from going right around him. The competition at guard will be fierce. Very solid in the middle with Daniels and Welch. Render, Reynolds, Paulsen, and Legrand have all looked good in their appearences last season so, may the best men win.

He seemed to show good progress throughout the year but then crapped the bed in the OB. Hopefully that was a fluke and he'll look better with another year under his belt

Bower was not only defensive player to "crap the bed" in the Outback Bowl. It was a poor performance all around. Other LBs will have to up their performance and earn their union card. None of them have shown much on the field so this Spring will be their next chance.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Thinking the same thing.

I just dont understand why we continue to put zero premium on WR recruiting.
I'm sure we put a premium on WR recruiting. It's just that with our WR track record mediocre passing game......we're not exactly on a lot of WR's wish list.

I'm sure we put a premium on WR recruiting. It's just that with our WR track record mediocre passing game......we're not exactly on a lot of WR's wish list.
I know right? It's almost comical that people say the coaches are not trying to recruit high level players at every position. Their success rate at some positions may not be what anyone would like, for a number of reasons, but its not because their not going after players. They just spent a year chasing Oliver Miller around, only to have him jump in a pool with Harbough.

I know right? It's almost comical that people say the coaches are not trying to recruit high level players at every position. Their success rate at some positions may not be what anyone would like, for a number of reasons, but its not because their not going after players. They just spent a year chasing Oliver Miller around, only to have him jump in a pool with Harbough.

Yes and No

Rutgers has had like 4 or 5 NFL receivers in the last 8 years. Im not talking practice players either.

Rutgers.....yes Rutgers. A perennially bad team that doesn't throw the ball well or often.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Yes and No

Rutgers has had like 4 or 5 NFL receivers in the last 8 years. Im not talking practice players either.

Rutgers.....yes Rutgers. A perennially bad team that doesn't throw the ball well or often.
I get that hex, I'm sure there are many examples of players going to other schools, and we can't understand why not Iowa. There are many reasons. Heck look at the linebacker we were after that went to UAB instead of Iowa and they haven't even had a football team for awhile, until next year I believe. My point is with posters who constantly say the staff doesn't put a premium, or put real effort into recruiting this position of need. How many receivers did we offer last year? We didn't get some for sure. We did bring in four or five, I think. Lets not throw all these new faces out with the wash, until we see what they've got. Hell I'm pretty excited to see what Devonte Young has playing across from MVB. The eternal optimist I guess.

Some schools look for good athletes, some look for good football players. The blue bloods get mostly both in the same guy.

Whatever makes the Hawks better. The coaches say Boone is an excellent athlete, but he doesn't seem to have the quickness to keep end rushers from going right around him. The competition at guard will be fierce. Very solid in the middle with Daniels and Welch. Render, Reynolds, Paulsen, and Legrand have all looked good in their appearences last season so, may the best men win.

Not all looked good in their appearances last year, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT