Peaky Blinders
Sons of Anarchy
Merlin
Goliath
Seven Seconds
Chance

Last edited:
To start, no pic of wife.

We just finished the Americans so we are looking for another series to start after the kids go to bed. We have access to Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, and some Fx (apparently they have tiers).

We’ve seen (or caught up on):
  • Americans
  • Suits
  • Sopranos
  • Breaking Bad
  • The Crown
  • Jack Ryan

I’m watching without her (on her yoga nights):
  • Vikings
  • Game of Thrones
  • Better Call Saul

We have no interest in:
  • Walking Dead
  • Westworld
  • Making a Murderer
  • Stranger Things
  • House of Cards
  • American Horror Story
  • Mr Robot
Bosch is simply the best series out there.

Reactions: Brown Dog
Watching Homecoming, Luther and House of Cards at the moment. Just finished The Night Manager and The Bodyguard. All pretty good.

If you haven't watched Billions or Goliath that's what you need to do immediately.

Top 12: (that I can remember)

Billions (best drama ever)
Goliath
Breaking Bad
The Last Kingdom (way better than Vikings)
Tin Star
Fortitude
Dexter
Bosch
Ozark
Sneaky Pete
Better Call Saul
Shameless

Last edited:
Reactions: no_one_
Watch Person of Interest ASAP. It's criminally underrated and was ahead of its time on surveillance and AI.

Ozark
Barry
Fargo
Better Call Saul
Haunting of Hill House

My wife and I both liked all of the above.

"Deadwood," "Justified," "Sons of Anarchy," "The Amazing Mrs. Maisel," "Black Sails," "Ray Donovan," "Ozark," "Longmire," "The Crown" should get you started. There's violence in all of those except the Crown and Mrs. Maisel, which is a really quirky but outstanding series.

I started watching The Crown while home sick for a few days, and it is excellent. Foy and Lithgow are tremendous. Visually it is stunning.

The thing about a period piece like The Crown is there is so much extra to get right. The sets, the clothing, the language of the day, the absence of jet contrails in the sky while filming outdoors...
Lithgow nails the mannerisms of Churchill. I don’t know how old Lithgow is, but he makes the viewer feel every ache as the aging lion walks into a room. And, he is spot on for the pomposity of Churchill.

The Deuce on HBO

GREAT suggestion. We started this late last night and stayed up too late. Fantastic opening episode. Think I see where it’s going, but it will be fascinating watching the storylines start to slowly come together. Great writing. Gyllenhal is incredible. Best actress in a series that I have seen in a long while.

Reactions: SF HAWKEYE
I’ll echo what a few others have said and say don’t rule out Stranger Things. It’s not the type of show my wife and I would typically watch but once we started it we couldn’t stop. Try two episodes before saying no to it. Ozatk was great and all the Narcos were better than I expected.

I’ve realized that pretty much any original Netflix programming is watchable, it’s just deciding which one to watch next.

Reactions: StonesCat

We just finished the Americans so we are looking for another series to start after the kids go to bed. We have access to Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, and some Fx (apparently they have tiers).

• Americans
  • Suits
  • Sopranos
  • Breaking Bad
  • The Crown
  • Jack Ryan

• Vikings
  • Game of Thrones
  • Better Call Saul

We have no interest in:
  • Walking Dead
  • Westworld
  • Making a Murderer
  • Stranger Things
  • House of Cards
  • American Horror Story
  • Mr Robot
Black Sails; several seasons. Lots of blood and boobs.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2

• Americans
  • Suits
  • Sopranos
  • Breaking Bad
  • The Crown
  • Jack Ryan

• Vikings
  • Game of Thrones
  • Better Call Saul

We have no interest in:
  • Walking Dead
  • Westworld
  • Making a Murderer
  • Stranger Things
  • House of Cards
  • American Horror Story
  • Mr Robot
Outlander is a pretty good couples series.....lots of romantic stuff mixed with Scottish clansmen killing people. Enough fighting and killing to keep me interested along with the lead actress getting naked in about every episode...If you can handle the romantic drivel parts it's pretty good :)

Reactions: jellyfish10

• Americans
  • Suits
  • Sopranos
  • Breaking Bad
  • The Crown
  • Jack Ryan

• Vikings
  • Game of Thrones
  • Better Call Saul

We have no interest in:
  • Walking Dead
  • Westworld
  • Making a Murderer
  • Stranger Things
  • House of CardsGet
  • American Horror Story
  • Mr Robot
Get Shorty

Just finished Salvation. It’s a summer sci if political thriller. If you liked Under the Dome, this is similar. On Amazon.

You didn’t mention Breaking Bad, which is great.

* Brickmire

* Fargo

Also, the 10-episode Godless was really good.

Mike Judge's Tales from the Tour Bus. Its on Cinemax and you can get a free trial via Amazon Prime Video. Season 1 is all about Country: George Jones, Waylan, Johnny Paycheck... Real interviews with managers, back up band members, and other people around at the time about the drinking, drugs, and debotchery that went on. Season 2 is all funk: Rick James, George Clinton, James Brown, Bootsie Collins, Morris Day...

You could serisously watch both seasons in about 4 days. So freaking good. Search Youtube for a couple clips if you are not convinced.

Watch Person of Interest ASAP. It's criminally underrated and was ahead of its time on surveillance and AI.

I really enjoyed the first couple of seasons, when they stuck with the original “Equalizer”type formula. It each season they drifted away from that, and I eventually lost interest.

I really enjoyed the first couple of seasons, when they stuck with the original “Equalizer”type formula. It each season they drifted away from that, and I eventually lost interest.

I liked it from the beginning, but I really fell in love with the show when they went all in on the AI/surveillance culture angle.

Both seasons of Patriot are so good. Best streaming serial ever.

Ozark
Mindhunter

Three German language must see shows (watch them with subtitles not dubbed)

Dark - so much thinking involved
Babylon Berlin - amazing Weimar Republic era series
Dogs of Berlin - this recently dropped and is really good

Both seasons of Patriot are so good. Best streaming serial ever.

Ozark
Mindhunter

Three German language must see shows (watch them with subtitles not dubbed)

Dark - so much thinking involved
Babylon Berlin - amazing Weimar Republic era series
Dogs of Berlin - this recently dropped and is really good
I disagree on "Patriot." I really, really tried - watched the first season and three episodes of the second -- but I just couldn't get past the self-consciousness and I got tired of the primary character just staring expressionlessly into space. Sorry.

Ozark was outstanding
Ozark reviews on HROT and elsewhere have been raving about Ozark. Usually when a show gets this much good publicity its is way over rated and I skip watching. In this case I was 100% wrong. Wife(no pics) and I started watching last week and all I can say is it is one of the best shows in a couple of decades.

Reactions: hawkifann
I disagree on "Patriot." I really, really tried - watched the first season and three episodes of the second -- but I just couldn't get past the self-consciousness and I got tired of the primary character just staring expressionlessly into space. Sorry.

I understand that. It is definitely a love it or hate it presentation. Sort of like Wes Anderson movies. Or cilantro.

ADVERTISEMENT