ADVERTISEMENT

New Two Deeps

Apr 8, 2003
DizA1PBUEAAeG2l.jpg

DizBMQLU0AEVlMg.jpg

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Brandon Smith ahead of Smith-Marsette is interesting to me. Banwart as 1 of the top 5 o-linemen shows he's made a jump as well. Colbert and Turner in the two deeps too.

It will be interesting to see if any of the incoming freshman might shake things up a bit.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
Only real surprise I see is Banwart over Levi at RG. That may not be settled until camp is over. Ditto with Snyder over Gervase at the one safety spot.

Total Bummer about Spencer Williams.

When push comes to shove and someone on the OLine gets hurt, I wonder who will be #6. My guess is that it is Levi. If the center gets hurt, Levi to RG and Banwart to Center. If it is LG, I really wonder if it will be Landon? My guess is it is still Levi. If it is RT, again, Levi since he was plugged in there during the bowl game and if it is LT, move Tristan over and plug in Levi to RT once again.

I am hoping that we do some rotation at both guard positions to get Kallenberger some game experience and to keep Levi sharp. We usually need #6 and #7 during the year. We haven’t often had to go to #8.

At safety, Stone is too good to be sitting on the bench. Maybe he and Gervase rotate in at the hybrid LB spot, if Phil really uses one.

Reactions: td77
Was Brandon Smith not a letterwinner? He played and recorded statistics. I guess I thought if you saw the field you lettered but I guess the requirements are a little trickier.

Only real surprise I see is Banwart over Levi at RG. That may not be settled until camp is over. Ditto with Snyder over Gervase at the one safety spot.
The coaches have been high on Banwart for a time. As for him being over Levi ... that also could have been reflective of the fact that Levi has been injured quite a bit. Thus, if he can actually remain healthy for a good block of time - he could have a chance to win back the spot.

It’s good to see Wade & Colbert listed in the two deeps.. If the D line does as well as expected they’ll (the LB’ers) have little cushion in the frying pan starting off. With that being said There’s a little Preseason All American not listed in the two deeps too! :)

Last edited:
I wonder if Kallenburger is next man in on the Oline. If "we" can just get through sept without O line injuries this team could be really good.

The coaches have been high on Banwart for a time. As for him being over Levi ... that also could have been reflective of the fact that Levi has been injured quite a bit. Thus, if he can actually remain healthy for a good block of time - he could have a chance to win back the spot.
I dont want to bag on the paulsens but I like the fact they are not plan A. Sometimes the best ability is availability, and your not available when you are injured.

I dont want to bag on the paulsens but I like the fact they are not plan A. Sometimes the best ability is availability, and your not available when you are injured.
That's absolutely true. Those who enjoy better health have their development interrupted less ... and that gives them more opportunity to improve. Of course, I'd still contend that it is important for the Paulsens to enjoy some good health ... because if they can be contributors ... that only helps our depth.

That's absolutely true. Those who enjoy better health have their development interrupted less ... and that gives them more opportunity to improve. Of course, I'd still contend that it is important for the Paulsens to enjoy some good health ... because if they can be contributors ... that only helps our depth.
Absolutely, if they can come in and provide some depth it might keep the miles off the #1. If they start and get injured we are out the depth.

Levi Duwa at backup center as a RSFR. Is he the real deal? Or are we missing someone there?

Levi Duwa at backup center as a RSFR. Is he the real deal? Or are we missing someone there?
Both ... Williams has left due to injuries ... and we need Banwart at OG. If we were "okay" at OG ... then Banwart would also likely be our #2 center. On the flip side, Duwa is a pretty athletic big guy ... and with excellent toughness. It will be interesting to see how Duwa's development progresses.

Brandon Smith ahead of Smith-Marsette is interesting to me.

It will be interesting to see if any of the incoming freshman might shake things up a bit.

The outside receiver often runs routes that are lower-percentage throws for the QB. Also, we're talking about a lot of fades and vertical routes ... a guy like Brandon Smith affords us the possibility of a guy who can win the jump ball.

In contrast, inside WRs, are typically open more for quick passes between the hashes ... and consequently, pass to them, are typically higher percentage passes. Furthermore, the inside WR is more apt to receive the ball in space ... thus, having a guy with speed at the position is a huge attribute.

Thus, I see having B. Smith at the SE as more of a recognition of his combo of explosiveness and jump-ball ability ... whereas, I think that we're seeing ISM listed at the same spot as Easley because it plays wonderfully to his skill-set (the objective of getting speed in space).

Regardless, when we're executing our 3-WR sets ... I'm willing to bet that our top 3 are Easley, B. Smith, and ISM.

Reactions: rchawk
Corners too..the Purdue game was a nightmare and big brother is gone.

Thankfully Mahoungou is now on the Eagles. He was the only receiver that torched us last year. I have full confidence in Hankins - he's a future NFL corner. OJ and crew are no slouches either. Secondary is far less of a concern than LB, especially with the glut of talent we have now at the S position. Hooker has talent to play CB if we get in a pinch.

Or DT depth is weak
I think with the new rules in place, and Nixon sitting out this year, we'll see Shannon or Linderbaum,(maybe both) get some early playing time. Reiff, will be out for the opener, most likely. As the season goes on, we'll see some pass sets with Gholston or Brinks, and Hesse at DT as well.

Reactions: td77
Linebackers need to show up, but tons of potential. Nice to see Snyder back in the saddle.
2019 not 2018. I’m with him though. It all depends on how many guys leave early. I think everyone can agree that Fant won’t be back. But we have Anthony Nelson, Alaric Jackson, Stanley that could leave for the NFL early.

Reactions: greenelite
The depth on the offensive line looks real thin. Let's hope the starting 5 stay healthy.
Our depth on the OL looks a lot better in '18 than it did in '15. Furthermore, entering the '17 season ... a lot of Hawkeye O-linemen were dinged ... so the depth last year was rather iffy too.

Idk man...been hearing good things about Mr. Duwa from his teammates. Time will tell, I suppose.
I dont know why, but, I have really been keeping an Eye on Duwa. By all accounts he is a mean/tough dude and I really like that on the Oline. I'm not sure that we will see him this year but he will be a stud on the interior at some point. The 2nd highlight of the video is him catching a Bomb as a TE. The thought of a guy with the feet to do that and intangibles is exciting. Him pulling out in front of a RB is the stuff we hawk fans dream of. Many linebackers are going to have to make buisness decisions when Duwa comes onto the feild.

Reactions: easy2
Our depth on the OL looks a lot better in '18 than it did in '15. Furthermore, entering the '17 season ... a lot of Hawkeye O-linemen were dinged ... so the depth last year was rather iffy too.

The Paulsens are coming off bench. Kallenberger and Duwa are getting really high praise early on in career - that doesn't happen unless they are real deal. That's 9 deep right there. I'm more worried about the starter talent at G/C than the depth.

Leistikow said Nate Weiland is not on the roster either now. Too bad. Really liked what he brought to the table. Anyone know why?

Reactions: Forgery5
Or DT depth is weak
A few years back, Newborg was practicing with the #2s at DT. Reiff and Lattimore quickly ascended the depth chart ... and bumped him down. He's subsequently moved back to the OL.

Schulte was a really impressive talent for Pella - last I checked he moved to the interior. Jansen earned the trust of the coaches enough to be a regular special teamer over the past 2 years (that's the way Brincks earned his way onto the depth chart) ... and he managed to wiggle his way onto the "NASCAR" pass-rushing package on obvious pass-rushing downs last year. Thus, Jansen definitely brings something to the table.

Jacobus caught the eye of Morgan enough to flash on the depth chart ... so he must be doing some good things too.

Lastly, BOTH Brincks and Golston were seeing reps at DT during the spring. If it's a quicker path to the field ... I'd imagine that Brincks could be contending for DT snaps too.

Thus, the bigger question for us may be this ... is Golston's mention on the depth chart a "reward" ... like how White was a long-time backup RB (but rarely saw snaps at the spot) ... and Brincks and Reiff get more DT reps ahead of him? OR is it more like the scenario of Lattimore in the latter half of the season ... he was listed on the depth chart AND he saw a lot of quality snaps at the position?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT