ADVERTISEMENT

New U of Iowa President

hawkfeever

HR Heisman
Aug 5, 2016
Has anyone heard anything in regard to the process or when Regents are doing interviews? Who they choose can impact U of I athletics greatly and certainly the future of the AD and coaches. I thought Harreld was done by sometime in April.

I thought Harreld did a really good job under the strange circumstances and considering the "outrage" when he was hired. He was very good for the athletic department so hoping they find someone that takes that side seriously and wants to see us improve on our current success.

I thought he did a good job considering the animosity toward him when hired. Also wise of him to move on now, as presidents almost always outlive their welcome. It's a political job, and at some point the long knives come out for a college president. Will be interesting to see what direction the Regents take the next hire.

Concerning the athletic department the first order of business for the new president will be to keep Barta or not. Most coaches are locked up through 2024 at least.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
The biggest issue that him and other Presidents will have to deal with is the full on assault but morons at the capitol who cut higher education funding. Harreld even said as much.
I think the regents are doing a good job raising questions on programs, funding, out of state student rates, etc.
I’m also tired of the funding complaints from schools with billion dollars of endowments and millions of waste.

Has anyone heard anything in regard to the process or when Regents are doing interviews? Who they choose can impact U of I athletics greatly and certainly the future of the AD and coaches. I thought Harreld was done by sometime in April.

Mary Sue Coleman wasn't willing to come back, so they're back to ground zero

I thought Harreld did a really good job under the strange circumstances and considering the "outrage" when he was hired. He was very good for the athletic department so hoping they find someone that takes that side seriously and wants to see us improve on our current success.

Who cares?...
Having someone in that position that sees the value in athletics and being successful in athletics is a big deal. That's why you should care.

Most of the outrage was born out of his shady hiring. I think as for as overall for the University he has been a B. His biggest mistake on the athletic side of things was keeping Barta. He could have been fired for cause and probably should have been.
It sure came across as academics whining that a career academic wasn't chosen over someone with real world experience.

When does Lori Loughlin get out of prison? She has to be qualified right? Have mercy!

At least hire someone with experience. Ken Starr was President of Baylor and is available for hire.

I think the regents are doing a good job raising questions on programs, funding, out of state student rates, etc.
I’m also tired of the funding complaints from schools with billion dollars of endowments and millions of waste.

This x 1000. Higher education costs have risen faster than any other part of the economy for over 20 years. With money coming at them from government grants, subsidies, student loans, etc., they've had no incentive to run themselves efficiently.

I'd be in favor of not just cutting, but slashing their budgets, 25% minimum. Force them to cut powder puff courses, slash non-teaching personnel, place larger loads on the teachers. ........ If they cut some of those things correctly, they might learn enough to even cut tuition. Learning a new skill is a wonderful thing.

Harreld has made or been involved in several incidents that have cost the athletic department money and competitiveness, and cost taxpayers big too. Not to mention several incidents were very embarrassing to the university, and that’s not mentioning keeping Gary Barta in charge, who is not exactly a visionary leader in this business.

Incidents: The Meyer/Griesebaum trial could have been settled out of court for a lot less than $6 million, and he was a big driver of the department being required to give $2 million per year to the university above and beyond all of the other financial contributions they make. On top of that, stiffing contractors with the modern piping debacle with the hospital.

$12 million plus that could have been used to hire more competitive coaches, get through the pandemic with less debt, create a new facility, etc.

This x 1000. Higher education costs have risen faster than any other part of the economy for over 20 years. With money coming at them from government grants, subsidies, student loans, etc., they've had no incentive to run themselves efficiently.

I'd be in favor of not just cutting, but slashing their budgets, 25% minimum. Force them to cut powder puff courses, slash non-teaching personnel, place larger loads on the teachers. ........ If they cut some of those things correctly, they might learn enough to even cut tuition. Learning a new skill is a wonderful thing.
my issue with the regents, and I might be off base, but allowing ISU to build a business and journalism school out of left field when UI and UNI had them covered did not seem right.
Even Pomerantz said this at the time. duplication of efforts and spending.
I get there will be some overlap but to add these this late in the game is not the wisest move me thinks.
I also fall into the category regarding k-12 spending along with college tuition.
We spend more and more per pupil every year but do not seem to be getting the payback. Administration eats up a lot of this money--you go to Omaha and their school admin. is housed in what used to be an older HS, it is huge....

my issue with the regents, and I might be off base, but allowing ISU to build a business and journalism school out of left field when UI and UNI had them covered did not seem right.
I get there will be some overlap but to add these this late in the game is not the wisest move me thinks.
I also fall into the category regarding k-12 spending along with college tuition.
We spend more and more per pupil every year but do not seem to be getting the payback. Administration eats up a lot of this money--you go to Omaha and their school admin. is housed in what used to be an older HS, it is huge....
Higher education (indoctrination) is coddling the minds of young Americans and stripping the country of any ideology but theirs. If they want equality in schools, it should be an equal split on political lines with professors as well.

If student loans are forgiven, expect even higher costs and less efficiency going forward.

Harreld has made or been involved in several incidents that have cost the athletic department money and competitiveness, and cost taxpayers big too. Not to mention several incidents were very embarrassing to the university, and that’s not mentioning keeping Gary Barta in charge, who is not exactly a visionary leader in this business.

Incidents: The Meyer/Griesebaum trial could have been settled out of court for a lot less than $6 million, and he was a big driver of the department being required to give $2 million per year to the university above and beyond all of the other financial contributions they make. On top of that, stiffing contractors with the modern piping debacle with the hospital.

$12 million plus that could have been used to hire more competitive coaches, get through the pandemic with less debt, create a new facility, etc.

Regarding the lawsuit, you listen to the attorneys. He didn't just wing it and say keep going. Sometimes the attorneys are wrong. Also, I cannot recall who it was but someone came in shortly after that decision and donated an amount amazingly similar to the judgment amount.

ISU has business related majors for as long as my recall. I know of someone who graduated from there with accounting degree in the 1970s.

This is a good point. I think the state legislature and the regents would have been better served looking at the three public schools as working in tandem instead of competing. All three are going to have liberal arts colleges and some standard programs. Plus there will be some college overlap because of history(Iowa's engineering college was established in 1904 and isn't going away even though ISU has the larger engineering program). But Iowa should never start up a veterinary college or anything in the realm of animals/farming. ISU shouldn't create a law, medicine, dentistry, nursing, or pharmacy college. And UNI should stick with what they do as a smaller/lesser funded/lower tuition liberal arts/education/business college. Each of the three schools has strengths and weaknesses on an academic front. The state should be investing in the strengths of each of the individual schools and not try to create additional programs in areas that are non-existent or weaknesses, like ISU and UNI creating business colleges back in the 1980s when Iowa already had a long established and successful one.

This is a good point. I think the state legislature and the regents would have been better served looking at the three public schools as working in tandem instead of competing. All three are going to have liberal arts colleges and some standard programs. Plus there will be some college overlap because of history(Iowa's engineering college was established in 1904 and isn't going away even though ISU has the larger engineering program). But Iowa should never start up a veterinary college or anything in the realm of animals/farming. ISU shouldn't create a law, medicine, dentistry, nursing, or pharmacy college. And UNI should stick with what they do as a smaller/lesser funded/lower tuition liberal arts/education/business college. Each of the three schools has strengths and weaknesses on an academic front. The state should be investing in the strengths of each of the individual schools and not try to create additional programs in areas that are non-existent or weaknesses, like ISU and UNI creating business colleges back in the 1980s when Iowa already had a long established and successful one.

All still exist. Certainly isn't a reason tuition has to go up. Competition for students and their $.

If the Athletic Dept brings in more money than it spends, and doesn't embarrass the U, the new President will not give much attention to it.

But that's the culture now.

The "outrage" was fully justified by a less than transparent hire of a man with virtually no serious qualifications for serving as president of a world class academic institution. Better qualified candidates were passed over because the the Regent president at the time had a hard on for Harreld.

Harreld is a nice guy, by all accounts, just largely unqualified by virtue of having zero experience in matters related to the job he was hired to do. Even by corporate business standards his qualifications were minimal, having never been a CEO. He knew this upon arrival, receiving a President's salary while undergoing months of on the job training. Leading a complex organization like a major liberal arts university is not and should never be the same thing as a "business" making widgets for profit. Missions differ dramatically.

To illustrate the point, should the athletic department hire a successful sporting goods store manager to coach the Hawkeye football team? Good business manager, right? Apples and oranges do not usually a good mix make.

Harreld apparently did well in the likeability realm but never distinguished himself in the leadership sense. Iowans deserve better in the next hire. Time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT