ADVERTISEMENT

New University of Iowa diversity head resigns after one month

On a college visit last year, one of the university reps said, in effect, if you don’t have a bulldozer actively working on campus, the school is getting left behind. Tons and tons of wasted tuition on bulldozer projects and $220,000 positions. It still amazes me that it’s taken this long to really, truly look at the price of attending college and what you actually get for the tuition.

What did you decide to do instead of going to college?

What did you decide to do instead of going to college?
I have two Bachelors degrees and a MA. I love everything about the college experience, with the exception of the cost. I’m not saying it should be free, but I think there should be more oversight on budgets, more critical analysis of truly needed positions.

Bunch of white people bitching about a position responsible for diversity.... shocking

I have two Bachelors degrees and a MA. I love everything about the college experience, with the exception of the cost. I’m not saying it should be free, but I think there should be more oversight on budgets, more critical analysis of truly needed positions.

What are the truly needed positions and which ones don’t meet your qualifications.

What are the truly needed positions and which ones don’t meet your qualifications.
That’s a great question and I don’t have a solid answer. But I work in public education so I’m used having reviews done by administration, school boards and community for just about everything we do, every new initiative and many staffing positions.

The University of Iowa brings in over $3billion dollars a year. Compare senior leadership salaries to corporate salaries of similar size.

Also, any major construction on the University is typically largely if not completely privately funded. Tuition does not typically pay for new buildings.

Also, at most universities you are not able to specifically create a scholarship for a minority race, gender, etc.

Also, this position, I would assume, is largely overseeing title 9 compliance which is a BIG deal. It’s not just a marketing/recruiting ploy. Messing up would cost the University a LOT more than $220k.

The University of Iowa brings in over $3billion dollars a year. Compare senior leadership salaries to corporate salaries of similar size.

Also, any major construction on the University is typically largely if not completely privately funded. Tuition does not typically pay for new buildings.

Also, at most universities you are not able to specifically create a scholarship for a minority race, gender, etc.

Also, this position, I would assume, is largely overseeing title 9 compliance which is a BIG deal. It’s not just a marketing/recruiting ploy. Messing up would cost the University a LOT more than $220k.
I get the majority of what you’re saying but I struggle with the idea that you have to pay someone $220k as a reason for not messing something up. My salary isn’t based on what it would cost if I messed up.

I assume he was in charge of getting minorities to go to Iowa ? Also to make sure they are comfortable on campus to retain them ?

How much leeway do you get in terms of academic eligibility to promote diversity ?

Seems to me the marketing department would able to handle that.

ddei_organizational_chart.jpg

Found this on the UI Diversity website. There is also a bunch of stuff about harassment and ADA compliance. It looks like a ton of feel good committees and organizations that have programs all over campus. It seems like the kind of job that requires experience and strategic leadership.

Reactions: cigaretteman
My take is that the guy got here and realized he’s over his head. Someone that hired him f’d up and offered him a lesser job for a few months until he can figure out his next move.
Or being from the south he realized Iowa isn’t for him. Could be a lot of things, just sayin.

Reactions: Jackie Treehorn
Does anyone really think he gave up this gig voluntarily? Also, it would be interesting to know the total number of staff involved in minority affairs.

Does anyone really think he gave up this gig voluntarily? Also, it would be interesting to know the total number of staff involved in minority affairs.

Perhaps it wouldn't look good if a black administrator in charge of diversity was fired at a state institution in a state that is overwhelmingly white.

Whether he was fired or wanted to resign, somebody didn't do the due diligence on a high profile position.

Or being from the south he realized Iowa isn’t for him. Could be a lot of things, just sayin.

Probably read some online articles about the Polar Vortex last February and realized he had never been in temps within 50 degrees of that ever in his entire life.

Reactions: UKGrad93
That seems incredibly high. Citation?

Found it. UI hospitals and clinics income are included and must be huge.
Education budget was $745 million this year.

https://fmb.fo.uiowa.edu/sites/fmb....g_uploads/budget_narrative_fy19_all_funds.pdf

That's only general education fund, a really simple and not complete picture of all the things the university does. Doesn't include hospital, restricted funds (which have over a billion in revenues and expenses from things like support services such as buses, athletics and the student union. Also donations go in here)

Overall its $4 billion.
fy_2019_budget_pies_uw_exp.png

Reactions: Gonolz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT