ADVERTISEMENT

New US covid cases peaked July 17th,

Madman_1

HR All-American
Dec 28, 2002
and have been in a downhill slide since. If this slide continues, is there a decent chance that fan pressure makes the Big Ten powers allow fall football?

Now that colleges and schools have opened, the new-case metric can be expected to rise and perhaps even test previous peak/s, so not sure the new case # means much by itself to dissuade playing.

Reactions: BlackNGoldWings
With what is going on in college towns all over the country, we are about to see a big increase in cases. Packed into bars with no masks or loitering outside with no spacing, Iowa City now has the third most increase of new cases in the nation. Eagle Pass,Texas is number one, Lawton OK is #2, and Iowa City is #3. Our number went from 154 new cases to 354 cases per week. The next two weeks will be worse.

A small bump is possible (not at all assured), but "test previous peaks"?

Good grief, will the nonesense ever stop?
The peaks part was only meant to convey that new-case# by itself isn’t the most relevant criterion for decision making

Well, the peak was at 70,000 new cases per day and now there are "only" 45,000 cases per day. In early April, though, there were "only" 35,000 per day. Additionally, the new cases in the Midwest, particularly Iowa and Illinois, are on the rise. Football is not going to happen in the B10 this year. It sucks, but grasping at straws isn't going to change the outcome.

You don't think cases will go up when hundreds of thousands of kids start back up on campuses across the nation? That's kind of delusional

Well, I said "a small bump is possible" so no that's not consistent with thinking cases won't go up when kids get back on campus. Nonetheless, there's two strong reasons to suspect cases won't go up dramatically, and particularly not even approaching the previous peak:

1) More kids on campuses also means less kids elsewhere. So it's possible more transmission occurs where little or none has been occurring of late (college campuses), but that also likely means less will occur everywhere else (off college campuses).

2. The overall infection rate has been falling dramatically for weeks. This isn't a function of whether specific members of society are located on a college campus or off of a college campus. Rather, it's likely a function of the combination of T-Cells and anitbodies are beginning to produce some measure of immunity. College students changing their location is unlikely to have much if any impact on that.

Reactions: Ldgator and pmtdc
I see the president isn't the only one trying to practice medicine without a license or, in many cases, without a brain. Well done. And those 170,000 dead Americans aren't really dead. It's all a hoax. You know it. FOX News knows it. It's the Deep State. It's voodoo. The liberals will literally try anything to bring down Fuhrer Trump as he attempts to make Germany, er, America great again. Sic em.

But most of all, play ball! That's what REALLY matters.

I see the president isn't the only one trying to practice medicine without a license or, in many cases, without a brain. Well done. And those 170,000 dead Americans aren't really dead. It's all a hoax. You know it. FOX News knows it. It's the Deep State. It's voodoo. The liberals will literally try anything to bring down Fuhrer Trump as he attempts to make Germany, er, America great again. Sic em.

Here we go. You even had to prove Godwin's Law correct in the process.

With what is going on in college towns all over the country, we are about to see a big increase in cases. Packed into bars with no masks or loitering outside with no spacing, Iowa City now has the third most increase of new cases in the nation. Eagle Pass,Texas is number one, Lawton OK is #2, and Iowa City is #3. Our number went from 154 new cases to 354 cases per week. The next two weeks will be worse.
And yet the kids were probably more sick the next day after attending the bars than they ever would be had they tested positive for COVID, the fear mongering and hand wringing must stop.

Well, the peak was at 70,000 new cases per day and now there are "only" 45,000 cases per day. In early April, though, there were "only" 35,000 per day. Additionally, the new cases in the Midwest, particularly Iowa and Illinois, are on the rise. Football is not going to happen in the B10 this year. It sucks, but grasping at straws isn't going to change the outcome.

I don't view this as grasping at straws. There is already a strong argument that the conference made the wrong decision.

The Big Ten has decided to cancel football this year. They have not communicated what led to that decision. As has been pointed out over the last couple weeks, their decision does not seem to be based upon player safety. In other words, the Big Ten's rationale for this decision is on very shaky ground.

If Covid cases continue to fall, combined with other major conferences playing football, the backlash from the parents and the fans, and the questionable reasoning used in this decision; that could generate a tremendous amount of criticism and ridicule for the leadership in the Big Ten.

I'm just wondering if it will be enough to cause a reversal of the decision.

Last edited:

There'd be many thousands more alive if not for Cuomo and DeBlasio.

Kiddies don't care about this stuff. Think back to when you were that age at college.

Reactions: pmtdc

Players would be safer using the protocols they had in place, than not playing

You cute little naive commies just make me want to go out and vote for Trump, I can't wait.

The problem was the resurgence of Covid in late June to the end of July. Sucks. Had people just worn a mask we'd be watching football next week.... But with NO national plan. NO national strategy. NO plans for opening schools. NO plans for testing. NO nothing. The people of the United States were left guessing.

It's a jumbled mess.... A mess that had lots of people panicking wondering WTF is going on. Still does. Heck I still do not know exactly what my daughter is going to be doing for school exactly, and we start in less than 2 weeks!

Now, I am certainly Not worried about The 19 for myself or my daughter. I wear a mask for others... But the confusion on everything lead to the hot mess. Now, no fall sports for most. And still more confusion about those that are going forward. Fudge me..

and have been in a downhill slide since. If this slide continues, is there a decent chance that fan pressure makes the Big Ten powers allow fall football?

Largely asymptomatic which is integral to herd immunity acquisition. The young, largely unaffected, are the brakes to the virus. This is good and necessary to ever burn out the virus. Hiding those able to resist the effects of the disease only insures continuation way beyond necessary with collateral damages worse than the disease. But then, that is the agenda.

The problem was the resurgence of Covid in late June to the end of July. Sucks. Had people just worn a mask we'd be watching football next week.... But with NO national plan. NO national strategy. NO plans for opening schools. NO plans for testing. NO nothing. The people of the United States were left guessing.

It's a jumbled mess.... A mess that had lots of people panicking wondering WTF is going on. Still does. Heck I still do not know exactly what my daughter is going to be doing for school exactly, and we start in less than 2 weeks!

Now, I am certainly Not worried about The 19 for myself or my daughter. I wear a mask for others... But the confusion on everything lead to the hot mess. Now, no fall sports for most. And still more confusion about those that are going forward. Fudge me..

There was no resurgence. The virus merely took hold in places that it had previously been less common, meaning where viable hosts remained. There could be additional hot spots in the future, but they're unlikely to be where the virus has already run rampant once.

Lulz. Think I wouldn't notice that?

#PlayBall :cool:

P.S. Just under 100,000 more people in the U.S. have been diagnosed with coronavirus (just diagnosed), than the number of people worldwide who have died from starvation and hunger-related effects/illnesses.

So I think you know what comes next......

Play ball! :)

I believe just recently Iowa had its highest amount of cases ever....

And the dirty little secret is there are just as many on both sides that don't wear masks. With heavy non compliance with the younger folks (18 to 22 year olds or so).

Given the fact that schools are opening I would anticipate cases to peak again- so many kids interacting at all age levels that have not been exposed to the virus in the last six months.

There'd be many thousands more alive if not for Cuomo and DeBlasio.

In their mind it's still Trumps fault, he allowed them to make those wonderful 'send them to the nursing home instead of the Red Cross Hospital' decisions. If Trump had taken their decision making ability away ......

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
Hey those 175,000... soon to be 200,000 dead people... well "It is what it is". Good grief the lack of leadership.

Yes! Finally somebody said it! If the protesters, rioters, & looters weren't allowed to go around unmitigated, we'd have football.

A small bump is possible (not at all assured), but "test previous peaks"?

Good grief, will the nonesense ever stop?

To answer your question, no. The leaders now quite like the power that a health crisis has given them, so we will be in a perpetual state of our fearless leaders getting to determine which constitutionally protected liberties we get to exercise. Out of the goodness of their hearts they may let us every so generously use some of them on a given day "if it's safe"

I don't view this as grasping at straws. There is already a strong argument that the conference made the wrong decision.

The Big Ten has decided to cancel football this year. They have not communicated what led to that decision. As has been pointed out over the last couple weeks, their decision does not seem to be based upon player safety. In other words, the Big Ten's rationale for this decision is on very shaky ground.

If Covid cases continue to fall, combined with other major conferences playing football, the backlash from the parents and the fans, and the questionable reasoning used in this decision; that could generate a tremendous amount of criticism and ridicule for the leadership in the Big Ten.

I'm just wondering if it will be enough to cause a reversal of the decision.

There's not going to be a reversal of the decision. Unless new cases fall to under ten thousand per day nationwide for at least a month straight, then I don't see any change in direction. At this point, it's still 45,000 new cases per day so we're nowhere near getting to a point where the B10 will reverse course. There's not enough mask wearing and social distancing and hygiene-maintenance occurring nationwide to expect the numbers to drop. If anything, the new cases-per-day rate will go back up if there are a lot of K-12 schools holding in-person classes.

There's not going to be a reversal of the decision. Unless new cases fall to under ten thousand per day nationwide for at least a month straight, then I don't see any change in direction. At this point, it's still 45,000 new cases per day so we're nowhere near getting to a point where the B10 will reverse course. There's not enough mask wearing and social distancing and hygiene-maintenance occurring nationwide to expect the numbers to drop. If anything, the new cases-per-day rate will go back up if there are a lot of K-12 schools holding in-person classes.
This is just nuts. The original goal was to flatten the curve, and the left continues to want to move the goal posts completely ignoring the science. Hospitalizations are down to where they were in March, protect the elderly is all we are really required to do as a society. 275 million people go to a Walmart weekly.()https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/walmart-statistics/[URL]https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/walmart-statistics/[/URL],
To argue that we cannot have college football is assinine. If we had vaccinations tomorrow, there will still be half the nation filled with cowering hand wringers whining that it is still not safe.

Amazing... Attack instead of debate which is the language of either the ill prepared, or the anarchist.
Please try to add to the knowledge base as opposed to the rhetoric.

Reactions: unclesammy
Amazing... Attack instead of debate which is the language of either the ill prepared, or the anarchist.
Please try to add to the knowledge base as opposed to the rhetoric.

Both sentences perfect description of and advice for a certain President. But don't hold your breathe waiting for it. It'd require a level of maturity and character.

Last edited:
Reactions: not_mantiteo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT