ADVERTISEMENT

New Wrestling Facility

Novakht

HB MVP
Aug 3, 2013
Yesterday I got a tour and watched a bit of the workout that was going on--I hadn't been to the place yet-- combination of busy, schedule conflicts, and I knew the staff was focused on Spencer Oly prep. I have read most of the criticism and thought it was malarky but wanted to get my eyes on it-- Some thoughts.

1. The place is locked down tighter than Ft Knox--keycard access to get in, then most areas have face scanners--- unfortunately gone are the days to walk in and say hi--or drop in for a practice. This was the university's decision- and for safety . Appt only to get in.

2. Lots of finishing touches still to go, trophy wall, pictures, mirrors, and so forth-- still a bit of a work in progress.

3. Coaches/Staff offices are incredible-- much more room, modern, functional --really nice. Tom's office has a comfortable "deck" that overlooks the room.

4. The wrestling room and that part of the facility is better than I imagined-- when the term world-class gets thrown around it is not an exaggeration--weight room, lockers, cold plunge, and trainers area are stunning. As far as the room there is a huge difference, no columns, and plenty of space for guys/gals to wrestle without falling into others or obstacles. The wrestling mats, overall feel good and look even better.

5. Tunnel- I got to walk the tunnel-- is its a bit surreal, the lighting, the shape, 56' underground, and all of a sudden you open the door and are in Carver! Here is an interesting tidbit. Our team bench will now be where the opposing team was and the opposing team will be where our bench was. So our team and coaches will be closest to the new tunnel. This will take some getting used to!

When I was on the HWC board and served as President-- This facility was a bit of a dream. It was hard to imagine raising 30 million dollars plus so it could become a reality--, but Tom/Terry and the staff never thought it was a dream. They thought it was just a matter of time to get the funds raised and get it built. Now it is a reality and something we all should be proud of. On the outside--it stands out.

There are a LOT of people that are connected to this forum that donated hard-earned money, and networked to help raise even more money -- THANK YOU.! Thank you very much. The Iowa Wrestling facility is stunning!

Love where the Gable statue is now located--again, might take a bit to get used to--but it "fits"

Saw Warner wrestling with Kueter-- Tom and a few others leave with him to go to Spain early next week. Ben is a big dude--very lean.

Go Hawks!

Yes TY for the run down. Would you say BIG Ben added some bulk? He was very lean last year and has the frame to add a LOT of MUSCLE!!! He will be a force with around 30-40 more pounds!!!

<<Would you say BIG Ben added some bulk? He was very lean last year and has the frame to add a LOT of MUSCLE!!! He will be a force with around 30-40 more pounds!!!>>

A little-- If I were to guess in the 230 to 235 range-- I dont think he needs to put on 30/40, He would look good adding 15/20 in my opinion.

<<Would you say BIG Ben added some bulk? He was very lean last year and has the frame to add a LOT of MUSCLE!!! He will be a force with around 30-40 more pounds!!!>>

A little-- If I were to guess in the 230 to 235 range-- I dont think he needs to put on 30/40, He would look good adding 15/20 in my opinion.
Agree, Ben in the 250lbs range is ideal, imo

So randy, does this mean that saturday practices prior to iowa football games will no longer be open to the public? Or are you talking about regular practices just not being open.

<<So randy, does this mean that saturday practices prior to iowa football games will no longer be open to the public? Or are you talking about regular practices just not being open.>>

I can't speak for the team or the procedure-- My gut feeling is they will figure out a way to open the room before Iowa Football games. But I didnt think to ask.

Reactions: OILCHECKER
5. Tunnel- I got to walk the tunnel-- is its a bit surreal, the lighting, the shape, 56' underground, and all of a sudden you open the door and are in Carver! Here is an interesting tidbit. Our team bench will now be where the opposing team was and the opposing team will be where our bench was. So our team and coaches will be closest to the new tunnel. This will take some getting used to!
Tonight Show Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

BIG Ben is 6' 4", lets just say he was 220ish last season around? He was EXTREMELY lean!!! His frame would EASILY allow him to be a FULL 275!!!

IF he added that quality bulk, he would be literally a MAN amongst boys!!! I came from the Carlton Hasilrig era. I saw him up close at regionals several times. He was BIG and it was said he was around the full 275 pound mark. I do not believe the Heavies of today could have beaten him( not that anyone else could either)!!! He was just TWOOOO BIG and STRONG!!!

He was able to go to the NFL and become ALL-PRO very quickly without ever playing any college ball(Not even sure he played HS?) Obviously for BIG BEN it would be how he feels and moves, but from what I saw last season, I think he could be the next GREAT Heavy and that would include Olympic GOLDS!!!

Now I have NO good idea how he is/was making out on the Grid Iron? Again, from what little I saw of his HS Football days, I just was not blown away if you will. NOT saying he was not great and that he could not eventually make it in Football!!! Just saw much greater talent as a WRESTLER!

EITHER way(wrestling or football) he needs to grow into that frame. Not seeing him as a 250 pound LBer, seeing him more as a 275+ D-end in football, or a TOTAL FREAK on the wrestling mat!

Reactions: T8KUDWN
He was able to go to the NFL and become ALL-PRO very quickly without ever playing any college ball(Not even sure he played HS?)

Haselrig played football growing up and was originally a football player at Lock Haven. He injured his knee and transferred to UPJ for his second semester.

<<Do you know if long time season ticket holders had their seats reassigned because of the new bench location?>>

I dont know specifics, but is clear that we lost some seating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT