ADVERTISEMENT

New Year and Two New Resolutions

The Deplorable Sleeping Dog

HR Heisman
Gold Member
May 9, 2018
The conversations and attacks have become very toxic and confrontational in the last 90 days. It's a new year and the site is apparently under new management. So how about all of us that post here try two things going forward:

1. Refrain from personally attacking the other posters or Iowa coaches. Simply don't call names, get snarky or impugn either intellect or character when posting. There will be far fewer personal fights if no one throws the first punch.

2. Check your politics at the door. If I think I can do this, it should be easy for others. Part of this resolution is removing the political snark and agitprop in footnotes, etc.. because those are ****ing grating and challenging if you don't agree. If you get political you know an argumentative response will follow from someone. There will be far fewer political fights if no one throws the first punch. Hell, like I said last year, this is kind of our town square and there are basically for months between the end of spring practice and the start of fall camp where there is little athletic news-a perfect time to vent your political debater urges.

Yeah, this sounds sanctimonious, but would it really hurt the dialogue if everyone just tried to be nicer and less confrontational?​

Last edited:
All well and good, but will last as long as most New Years resolutions do. Quite often the people doing the name calling and personal attacks on coaches and players don't seem to even understand , (or won't admit), that they are really attacking the person, and not the issue. Others call out these unnecessary attacks and are then labeled as either apologists or people who perform sexual acts on said individuals. (Like thats not also attacking someone and provoking an argument). So great thought, but I'm afraid this will be another case of spitting (or worse) into the wind and not expecting to get wet.

All well and good, but will last as long as most New Years resolutions do. Quite often the people doing the name calling and personal attacks on coaches and players don't seem to even understand , (or won't admit), that they are really attacking the person, and not the issue. Others call out these unnecessary attacks and are then labeled as either apologists or people who perform sexual acts on said individuals. (Like thats not also attacking someone and provoking an argument). So great thought, but I'm afraid this will be another case of spitting (or worse) into the wind and not expecting to get wet.
I just use the ignore button a lot.

Reactions: AlvySinger
The conversations and attacks have become very toxic and confrontational in the last 90 days. It's a new year and the site is apparently under new management. So how about all of us that post here try three things going forward:

1. Refrain from personally attacking the other posters or Iowa coaches. Simply don't call names, get snarky or impugn either intellect or character when posting. There will be far fewer personal fights if no one throws the first punch.
2. Check your politics at the door. If I think I can do this, it should be easy for others. Part of this resolution is removing the political snark and agitprop in footnotes, etc.. because those are ****ing grating and challenging if you don't agree. If you get political you know an argumentative response will follow from someone. There will be far fewer political fights if no one throws the first punch. Hell, like I said last year, this is kind of our town square and there are basically for months between the end of spring practice and the start of fall camp where there is little athletic news-a perfect time to vent your political debater urges.​

Yeah, this sounds sanctimonious, but would it really hurt the dialogue if everyone just tried to be nicer and less confrontational?​
I think if you left justify your formatting the comment will be easier to read. Just a suggestion, of course. Otherwise, good luck with the new year’s wishes. It is a comment board where people come to express a variety of ‘opinions’. Happy New Year!

The conversations and attacks have become very toxic and confrontational in the last 90 days. It's a new year and the site is apparently under new management. So how about all of us that post here try three things going forward:

2. Check your politics at the door. If I think I can do this, it should be easy for others. Part of this resolution is removing the political snark and agitprop in footnotes, etc.. because those are ****ing grating and challenging if you don't agree. If you get political you know an argumentative response will follow from someone. There will be far fewer political fights if no one throws the first punch. Hell, like I said last year, this is kind of our town square and there are basically for months between the end of spring practice and the start of fall camp where there is little athletic news-a perfect time to vent your political debater urges.

Dog you and I differ politically…… and I’ve noticed you’re pretty hardfast in your convictions 😎

So am I…… that being said if people set aside differences and focus on commonalities we’d find overall we usually agree on way more than we differ……. I see it all the time

problem is in this social media era where people can express whatever they want behind the cover of anonymity…… the differences and the fringe views become the narrative …..

I’d sit down and have a drink with you…. and we’d probably have an enjoyable conversation ….. until you call me a commie 😂

Happy New Year!

I bet things improve quite a bit when it's announced Brian will not be qb coach or OC next year. Doing the right thing even if it's years too late would buy Kirk a lot of goodwill

Reactions: luvmyhawks

I agree, but the Truth is, it’s already too personal to them. If you are so incensed by your favorite football team that 80% of your out loud and written thoughts are about how awful the team is, nepotism, Brian, F sucks, and anybody that doesn’t yell and scream about it it is an apologist… Because that’s the reality of it.

We’ve all posted clearly that we don’t like the offense and we want Brian to be gone but that’s not enough for them. It needs to be “personal“ for everyone. Those aren’t normal people Dog and the message isn’t gonna get to them.

I agree, but the Truth is, it’s already too personal to them. If you are so incensed by your favorite football team that 80% of your out loud and written thoughts are about how awful the team is, nepotism, Brian, F sucks, and anybody that doesn’t yell and scream about it it is an apologist… Because that’s the reality of it.

We’ve all posted clearly that we don’t like the offense and we want Brian to be gone but that’s not enough for them. It needs to be “personal“ for everyone. Those aren’t normal people Dog and the message isn’t gonna get to them.
Then why do you keep posting? It’s nothing but the same thing over and over and over dude.

Honestly, this board would be soooooooo much better if you would leave. So, why don’t you do everyone a favor.

Well, it's really personal to me as well, to be honest. That's why I literally ****ing hate most transfers and any Iowa kid that Iowa recruits who picks a different school. My rational mind tells me it does not really affect me, and it does not directly, but I am very emotionally and previously was financially invested in Iowa sports (before I realized I might actually live long enough to retire).

My actual fanatical loyalty to Iowa is what fuels my sort of rage at the constant negativity, the personal attacks on coaches, the imputation that KF/BF or anyone else has insidious motives etc... Then I noticed the decline in commentary and the disappearance of long-time members. So, I don't feel I am alone

I'm a problem solver and taking a whack at solving the problems. My preference is for everyone to have high volume posting. If a choice is forced, I'd prefer positivity and rational discussion rather than the negative shriekers driving the normies away.

Probably true. I see a problem and want to fix it. At least the bitter enders casting their endless paranoia and preposterous outrage might feel a little more isolated and obvious.

Great post. I think we should all recognize we want Iowa to win and are loyal fans. We pride ourselves on being a great fanbase and i take pride in hearing positive things about Iowa fans at bowls from other teams fans. I think the gay slurs and personal insults could be a little fewer. I try and respect everyone has an opinion and we'll all never agree on everything but a little kindness goes a long ways. Even when talking about our coaches and especially players. Great, good, mediocre, or not very good, the players are Hawkeyes and want us to win. They sacrifice quite a bit in some cases and deserve some respect. Petrash was a pet peeve of mine. Personal attacks are unnecessary. Again nice post. I'll even embrace DrPhilSeuss with a modicum of understanding!

Dog you and I differ politically…… and I’ve noticed you’re pretty hardfast in your convictions 😎

So am I…… that being said if people set aside differences and focus on commonalities we’d find overall we usually agree on way more than we differ……. I see it all the time

problem is in this social media era where people can express whatever they want behind the cover of anonymity…… the differences and the fringe views become the narrative …..

I’d sit down and have a drink with you…. and we’d probably have an enjoyable conversation ….. until you call me a commie 😂

Happy New Year!

Man you said a mouthful in your third paragraph. People do not speak to each other in person or attributable to the speaker like they do around here, and the political sites are so much worse.

Over a few drinks I'd persuade you to agree with me, I think. Love to have a convention for all the posters. Really see each other and talk about whatever we wanted.

Man you said a mouthful in your third paragraph. People do not speak to each other in person or attributable to the speaker like they do around here, and the political sites are so much worse.

Over a few drinks I'd persuade you to agree with me, I think. Love to have a convention for all the posters. Really see each other and talk about whatever we wanted.
That would be fun. I doubt many of us match the idea we have of each other.

• Haha
Reactions: iowaathletes

Chances of you leaving your political ideology out of conversations is about the same as DavidGraeberbullsheetjobs.

• Haha
Reactions: Bishop1971
Chances of you leaving your political ideology out of conversations is about the same as DavidGraeberbullsheetjobs.
I realize I'm considered a liberal radical by even liberals, lol. I understand that almost nobody would ever agree with me so i always just leave it at the door. Mistresses and politics are 2 things that shouldn't be discussed, lol.

Great post. I think we should all recognize we want Iowa to win and are loyal fans. We pride ourselves on being a great fanbase and i take pride in hearing positive things about Iowa fans at bowls from other teams fans. I think the gay slurs and personal insults could be a little fewer. I try and respect everyone has an opinion and we'll all never agree on everything but a little kindness goes a long ways. Even when talking about our coaches and especially players. Great, good, mediocre, or not very good, the players are Hawkeyes and want us to win. They sacrifice quite a bit in some cases and deserve some respect. Petrash was a pet peeve of mine. Personal attacks are unnecessary. Again nice post. I'll even embrace DrPhilSeuss with a modicum of understanding!
It is a great post. There is no place for personal attacks or name calling. It's fine to disagree....but that is no reason to call the other person names..

There is a certain poster (and he isn't the only one), who passes himself off as intellectually and morally superior to others. If someone shares his views, they are "good posters". If they don't, they are "dumb" and "stupid". He doesn't like people that he thinks complain too much. Yet that is what he spends a significant amount of his posts doing..... complaining about people who complain. He has absolutely NO IDEA he is exactly like the people he complains about! That's because he thinks his complaints are "intellectual analysis", but other's are "b*tching".

I have him on ignore. I took him off yesterday to see if he's changed. He made a post about all the people who "b*tch, win or lose". He then proceeded to b*tch about Iowa's offense! I just shook my head and put him back on ignore. Apparently he thinks he gets to decide who can complain, and what they can complain about. He also gets to decide how much complaining is allowed on a subject. Of course, these rules don't apply to him. It supposedly bothers him a lot. But not enough to just ignore the people he doesn't like, or just keep his mouth shut. No.....he has to respond with his "I'm so much better than these people" baloney.

The OP's points are good ones. Unfortunately the people the OP is talking about are too full of themselves to realize they are the ones being referred to!

It is a great post. There is no place for personal attacks or name calling. It's fine to disagree....but that is no reason to call the other person names..

There is a certain poster (and he isn't the only one), who passes himself off as intellectually and morally superior to others. If someone shares his views, they are "good posters". If they don't, they are "dumb" and "stupid". He doesn't like people that he thinks complain too much. Yet that is what he spends a significant amount of his posts doing..... complaining about people who complain. He has absolutely NO IDEA he is exactly like the people he complains about! That's because he thinks his complaints are "intellectual analysis", but other's are "b*tching".

I have him on ignore. I took him off yesterday to see if he's changed. He made a post about all the people who "b*tch, win or lose". He then proceeded to b*tch about Iowa's offense! I just shook my head and put him back on ignore. Apparently he thinks he gets to decide who can complain, and what they can complain about. He also gets to decide how much complaining is allowed on a subject. Of course, these rules don't apply to him. It supposedly bothers him a lot. But not enough to just ignore the people he doesn't like, or just keep his mouth shut. No.....he has to respond with his "I'm so much better than these people" baloney.

The OP's points are good ones. Unfortunately the people the OP is talking about are too full of themselves to realize they are the ones being referred to!
I have never put anyone on ignore even if i should. DrPhilSeuss is a nebby troll that used to drive me crazy but i realized he probably wishes he could complain about an 8 win season. But i absolutely understand what you are talking about. When i posted about kf going hard at the portal and Cade coming here 1 poster called me a troll, liar, attn whre, idiot, etc. I tried to talk to him but he refused to accept any discussion cause he was right even though i had seen the goal of portal players first hand and got news of Cade 1 person removed from his conversation with our staff. I don't like being called names or being treated like a troll. Ignore is a quality option if a real discussion isn't possible.

Honestly, this board would be soooooooo much better if you would leave. So, why don’t you do everyone a favor.

Dude, you couldn't go 24 hours with launching a personal attack at another poster? Even if you considered yourself as part of the group CM says, "aren't normal and the message isn't gonna get to them", your response proves his point.

You literally never said anything about CM's post, you just told him to quit posting forever. Do you see how that lack of civility and courtesy is bad for the board, continues to lower public discourse and makes no difference because CM isn't going to stop posting.

I have never put anyone on ignore even if i should. DrPhilSeuss is a nebby troll that used to drive me crazy but i realized he probably wishes he could complain about an 8 win season. But i absolutely understand what you are talking about. When i posted about kf going hard at the portal and Cade coming here 1 poster called me a troll, liar, attn whre, idiot, etc. I tried to talk to him but he refused to accept any discussion cause he was right even though i had seen the goal of portal players first hand and got news of Cade 1 person removed from his conversation with our staff. I don't like being called names or being treated like a troll. Ignore is a quality option if a real discussion isn't possible.
It really takes a lot for me to put someone on ignore. There are only a few, and all but a couple are on it because of their hateful political views.

Personally, I have enjoyed your posts. Hope your mom is doing fine!

It really takes a lot for me to put someone on ignore. There are only a few, and all but a couple are on it because of their hateful political views.

Personally, I have enjoyed your posts. Hope your mom is doing fine!
She is. I'm sitting with her now. She's on Facebook while i watch football. She's excited the season is almost over though, lol. Thanks for asking and i think the same about your posts. You're a reasonable fan. I can respect that.

Once again, another guy that couldn't go 24 hours. I rarely throw the first political punch, I just don't sit quietly when others use the forum to get a political dig or push some media meme.

Either way, I said I'm willing to try and your response was to just insult me. It kind of proves the point of the OP. You could have said nothing and waited for me to be the first to inject politics into a conversation that is not about politics then called me on it.

But your attack is not without a certain benefit. I think you have helped me persuade more people to be more polite and positive by the demonstration of personal rancor.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Once again, another guy that couldn't go 24 hours. I rarely throw the first political punch, I just don't sit quietly when others use the forum to get a political dig or push some media meme.

Either way, I said I'm willing to try and your response was to just insult me. It kind of proves the point of the OP. You could have said nothing and waited for me to be the first to inject politics into a conversation that is not about politics then called me on it.

But your attack is not without a certain benefit. I think you have helped me persuade more people to be more polite and positive by the demonstration of personal rancor.

It isn't an attack. It is an easily-verifiable statement. You have more politically-charged posts on here than anyone I have seen so it is pretty rich of you to produce an edict calling for everyone to eschew politics on the football board.
An attack would entail an insult or personal put-down. I just pointed out your posting history.

It isn't an attack. It is an easily-verifiable statement. You have more politically-charged posts on here than anyone I have seen so it is pretty rich of you to produce an edict calling for everyone to eschew politics on the football board.
An attack would entail an insult or personal put-down. I just pointed out your posting history.
I was told living to the left of stalin is no way to live. I'm far closer to a socialist I'm so liberal. And had nothing to do with the discussion other than at one time on another thread i said people dont have to agree with me. I know almost Noone agrees with my extreme liberal beliefs, even liberals probably think im a little nuts. Just ro make a point that i don't expect people to agree with me if they have a different viewpoint.

I was told living to the left of stalin is no way to live. I'm far closer to a socialist I'm so liberal. And had nothing to do with the discussion other than at one time on another thread i said people dont have to agree with me. I know almost Noone agrees with my extreme liberal beliefs, even liberals probably think im a little nuts. Just ro make a point that i don't expect people to agree with me if they have a different viewpoint.

I have not said anything critical of you. I apologogized for the post where I meant to reply to Soaker.

I have not said anything critical of you. I apologogized for the post where I meant to reply to Soaker.
Oh, no worries. That was actually funny. I was so confused, lol. I think you are a fine poster. I only laughed about that! Lol. It was funny! Don't even worry about it at all grayhair! Yeah, we've never had an argument or anything even though I'm sure we disagree about some stuff. I really did laugh about that!!!!

Then why do you keep posting? It’s nothing but the same thing over and over and over dude.

Waiting for this response….I’m here to combat you. People that suck the life out of things for other people deserve to get it back!

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Dude, you couldn't go 24 hours with launching a personal attack at another poster? Even if you considered yourself as part of the group CM says, "aren't normal and the message isn't gonna get to them", your response proves his point.

You literally never said anything about CM's post, you just told him to quit posting forever. Do you see how that lack of civility and courtesy is bad for the board, continues to lower public discourse and makes no difference because CM isn't going to stop posting.

Honestly, until very recently I never paid any attention to anything he said. Nor am I concerned about him now…

Mostly in life people wanna say whatever they want to say without getting any blow back… When people do get blow back, they want to chastise the person, giving them blow back without any sort of accountability on their own. All it does is make me chuckle and dig in more!

Of course, it was an attack. Not very potent, I'll concede but very much personal. The implication of your comment, the reason you made it, was to imply I'm a hypocrite as your statement: "I have seen so it is pretty rich of you to produce an edict..." obviously demonstrates. You know it; I know it and most readers will draw that conclusion, since you used a well-known sarcastic idiom that precisely defines a hypocrite without using the actual word. Now, let's explore your statement in a Q/A format.

1. How do you define "politically charged"? We have to agree on a common definition. For example, the people who have footnotes on every post that contains the same political statements. Are those "politically charged" for purposes of verifying your statement?

2. Precisely how many "politically charged" comments have I made, particularly in the last year?

3. Precisely how many "politically charged" comments has each other poster made in the same period you counted mine? Since you claim my hypocrisy is "easily verifiable" you should have the data to answer 2 and 3 readily available to you.

4. What percentage of my "politically charged" posts introduced politics into a topic and what percentage are simply responding to someone else's "politically comment?

If you cannot answer 1-4 with actual numbers you are not stating a fact, you are offering your opinion. It's an opinion that I very much dispute.​

Of course, it was an attack. Not very potent, I'll concede but very much personal. The implication of your comment, the reason you made it, was to imply I'm a hypocrite as your statement: "I have seen so it is pretty rich of you to produce an edict..." obviously demonstrates. You know it; I know it and most readers will draw that conclusion, since you used a well-known sarcastic idiom that precisely defines a hypocrite without using the actual word. Now, let's explore your statement in a Q/A format.

1. How do you define "politically charged"? We have to agree on a common definition. For example, the people who have footnotes on every post that contains the same political statements. Are those "politically charged" for purposes of verifying your statement?

2. Precisely how many "politically charged" comments have I made, particularly in the last year?

3. Precisely how many "politically charged" comments has each other poster made in the same period you counted mine? Since you claim my hypocrisy is "easily verifiable" you should have the data to answer 2 and 3 readily available to you.

4. What percentage of my "politically charged" posts introduced politics into a topic and what percentage are simply responding to someone else's "politically comment?

If you cannot answer 1-4 with actual numbers you are not stating a fact, you are offering your opinion. It's an opinion that I very much dispute.​

He struggles with accountability of his own actions! I routinely admit I’m being an ass to certain groups of people. Folks like him think he is “keeping it real” and holding the coaches accountable… I doubt he has any clue it was personal they don’t look in their own mirrors!

In other words, the largely unbridled conversation anticipated by the First Amendment. It can be done without personal rancor. Love to debate you on distributive justice and economic systems.

First and foremost, that was your resolution, not mine. My resolution for the board would be for the sanctimonious holier than thou bullshit posts to stop. Once that stops, I am fairly certain the personal attacks will stop.

Second. Just so I know if and when I might not be meeting your posting approval. You are ok with attacking groups, just not individuals, correct?

In other words, the largely unbridled conversation anticipated by the First Amendment. It can be done without personal rancor. Love to debate you on distributive justice and economic systems.
I don't debate but have discourse. I learn more that way. And economic policies would be fun too. I think you might be a bit of an oddball like me. Just different beliefs/approaches to certain issues. Yes, discourse is without rancor and you could even change my mind about certain things. In a few areas i am far more conservative than i let on. I like your thinking!

He struggles with accountability of his own actions! I routinely admit I’m being an ass to certain groups of people. Folks like him think he is “keeping it real” and holding the coaches accountable… I doubt he has any clue it was personal they don’t look in their own mirrors!

I think he did a lot for my OP about basic courtesy.

I think he did a lot for my OP about basic courtesy.
Well i see a kinder board today with less name calling. Maybe even 1 post about courtesy can make a difference. Maybe not all the time but even a little bit is something. I've had a great time on the bowl thread for weeks now and it was great. Everyone was awesome and good conversation. Stayed for the most part on subject, lol. I hope this inspires more of that.

First and foremost, that was your resolution, not mine. My resolution for the board would be for the sanctimonious holier than thou bullshit posts to stop. Once that stops, I am fairly certain the personal attacks will stop.

Second. Just so I know if and when I might not be meeting your posting approval. You are ok with attacking groups, just not individuals, correct?
I disagree completely. Most of the personal attacks thrown around here have nothing to do with sanctimony, etc... It has much to do with an inability to disagree in an intelligent logical way or to tolerate disagreeable facts and opinions.

Your second paragraph misreads my intentions entirely. You don't need my posting approval. I'm not in favor of attacking anyone unless they have attacked you first. On this issue I cannot say I am perfect but I'd say I'm close to 99%. Not just here but elsewhere in my life I do not launch personal attacks unless someone has chosen that path for me. I even warn people that have attacked me that they should chose a different course because I can get real nasty but would prefer not.

Your responses show that you disagree with the OP. I regret your animosity but I'm a blunt, iconoclastic free thinker, so I'm used to antagonistic responses. I can live with your disagreement.​

IMO: I just avoid folks that hit back with insults. Time and time again, I see on here that It ends up never getting resolved and is a huge waste of time trying to reason with name callers or putting people in whatever category because you disagree on something. To add to that, we all have to wade through all the insults to read what others think. People should not make it personal when commenting on something someone said. Just state the facts as you see it. If the other person resorts to name calling then DONT REPLY. Many do it to just start a fight and get laughs. We all see things differently that is human nature. Peace.

I disagree completely. Most of the personal attacks thrown around here have nothing to do with sanctimony, etc... It has much to do with an inability to disagree in an intelligent logical way or to tolerate disagreeable facts and opinions.

Your second paragraph misreads my intentions entirely. You don't need my posting approval. I'm not in favor of attacking anyone unless they have attacked you first. On this issue I cannot say I am perfect but I'd say I'm close to 99%. Not just here but elsewhere in my life I do not launch personal attacks unless someone has chosen that path for me. I even warn people that have attacked me that they should chose a different course because I can get real nasty but would prefer not.

Your responses show that you disagree with the OP. I regret your animosity but I'm a blunt, iconoclastic free thinker, so I'm used to antagonistic responses. I can live with your disagreement.​

i don’t disagree with your op. It would be great if all could treat others with respect. However, when you have some that feel their opinions are superior to others, that is going to create personal attacks and is the very definition of being sanctimonious. Fact.

My second paragraph does not misread your intention. I am questioning who, exactly, you feel you need to police here. You quoted my post and claim I am attacking someone but the very post I quoted was attacking a group of people. Why do you choose to quote and question me but not him? cmhawk is constantly attacking people on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT