ADVERTISEMENT

New Years Day

goldmom

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
Happy New Year Hawkeyes!

In the South we must have Black Eyed Peas with Collards and Cornbread. “Hoppin John” and I have ZERO clue why John is hoppin so don’t ask. 😏

Is there a must have in the Midwest for good luck in the coming year?

I’m just having a taste of it because my diverticulitis is acting up but I gotta keep up with tradition.

Last edited:
Happy New Year Hawkeyes!

In the South we must have Black Eyed Peas with Collards and Cornbread. “Hoppin John” and I have ZERO clue why John is hoppin so don’t ask. 😏

Is there a must have in the Midwest for good luck in the coming year in the Midwest?

I’m just having a taste of it because my diverticulitis is acting up but I gotta keep up with tradition.

That's gross.

Tradition or not, screw that.

I'm smoking some brats.

That's gross.

Tradition or not, screw that.

I'm smoking some brats.
Well besides that I’m doing a small honey sliced ham, sweet potato casserole, tomato and cucumber salad and cheddar biscuits.
Brats = Farts.
We all have to sit in the same room for the playoff games and I don’t wanna deal with the uh, odor 🤧

Happy New Year Hawkeyes!

Sounds wonderful!! I miss the south and living in Savannah. I regret moving back to Iowa and some day will return to the costal empire!

We just get together and make the meals that made us feel good when we were kids. We did it last night though, chicken enchiladas, candied chicken with bacon, lasagna, homemade biscuits and gravy for brunch, all kinds of candies, various dips and chips and fruits, deer sausage and cheese, and I’m sure I’m leaving some out. There’s about 25 of us when you include the kids so we get a lot of food and a lot of craziness. New Year’s is our big get together.

We just get together and make the meals that made us feel good when we were kids. We did it last night though, chicken enchiladas, candied chicken with bacon, lasagna, homemade biscuits and gravy for brunch, all kinds of candies, various dips and chips and fruits, deer sausage and cheese, and I’m sure I’m leaving some out. There’s about 25 of us when you include the kids so we get a lot of food and a lot of craziness. New Year’s is our big get together.
Sounds great.
Go all out one more time for the holidays!

Reactions: jawatkins
Black eyed peas, greens, rice, corn bread and some pork on the smoker. Didn’t work last year for luck, but hopefully it will for 2024.

Reactions: goldmom
I need to learn how to make black eyed peas. I’ve had some good ones at bbq places but mine always turn out terrible.

Reactions: billanole
Happy New Year Hawkeyes!

We are headlining with collards for money, black eyes for luck, turkey sausage for health (substituting for pork which I can no longer tolerate) corn bread with apple butter, new potatoes, and various pickles, sauces, etc…
Hoping for a prosperous and Happy New Year, for all y’all.

• Love
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Wings and little smokies so far today. I’m gonna need some comfort food after this game.

I need to learn how to make black eyed peas. I’ve had some good ones at bbq places but mine always turn out terrible.
Wifey put ’em in the slow cooker for five hours today with black and red pepper with a liberal dose of olive oil. For years I boiled them for several hours with salt, pepper and cut up bacon.
Pepper vinegar is awesome to serve them with.

Wifey put ’em in the slow cooker for five hours today with black and red pepper with a liberal dose of olive oil. For years I boiled them for several hours with salt, pepper and cut up bacon.
Pepper vinegar is awesome to serve them with.
I’ll have to try some new ways. I hear they’re awesome if you do them right. I might grab a bag and get them soaking tonight just to see what happens. The dog and fiancé might have to deal with some booms if I mess up though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT