ADVERTISEMENT

New York’s Surging Covid Cases Driven by New Omicron Subvariants

Kenneth Griffin

HR Legend
Jan 13, 2012
Two new omicron subvariants that appear even more transmissible than the highly-contagious BA.2 are driving an uptick in Covid cases in New York, the state’s health department saidWednesday.

While there’s no evidence that either causes more severe disease, the department estimates they have a 23% to 27% growth advantage over the BA.2 variant that was itself more infectious than the original omicron. It’s the first reported instance of significant community spread due to the two subvariants in the U.S.

“We are alerting the public to two omicron subvariants, newly emerged and rapidly spreading in upstate New York, so New Yorkers can act swiftly,” State Health Commissioner Mary Bassett said in a statement. “While these subvariants are new, the tools to combat them are not.”

The discovery of the two new subvariants in the U.S. comes as both cases and hospitalizations increase nationwide due to the BA.2 subvariant. With more people using at-home tests, there is also concern the numbers could be an underestimate. On Wednesday, U.S. officials extended the pandemic public health emergency and the mask mandate for travelers, citing the rise in cases.

What We Know About Omicron and Its Subvariant BA.2: QuickTake

A few weeks ago, the state health department started investigating an unusual uptick in cases in Central New York, a region of upstate New York. Using open access genomic sequences available through the GISAID database, as well as information sent to the Wadsworth Center from labs in New York, they identified the two subvariants now known as BA.2.12 and BA.2.12.1. They currently represent 90% of cases in the Central New York region and have also been detected in the neighboring Finger Lakes region.

State data released Wednesday show the seven-day average of cases per 100,000 people in Central New York, where the subvariants were identified, is higher than any other region. They are almost twice as high as those in New York City.

The department is continuing to urge residents to get vaccinated and consider wearing masks while indoors. They also suggested upcoming Easter and Passover celebrations be moved outdoors to reduce infection risk.

Nobody here in NYC cares.

Nothing has changed.
Nobody who goes outside for more than 30 minutes a day cares. The only people that still care about covid are basement dwellers and introverts who thought this was their great break.

Last edited:
Doc on GMA said you can expect to see case counts rise but hospitalizations to stay minimal and this is a variant that really don’t do much to our daily lives!

Thank god I saw this while at the store. Thanks OP!

R.c3646a9922374edecb426b7c2e6f04fb

Doc on GMA said you can expect to see case counts rise but hospitalizations to stay minimal and this is a variant that really don’t do much to our daily lives!

The variant doesn't. But the government and scolds will try to disrupt us.

Nobody here in NYC cares.

Nothing has changed.

I assume masks are still required at Broadway shows? How about restaurants and museums? Last time I was there you had to show proof of vaccination for just about everything, and wear a mask.

Nobody who goes outside foe9re than 30 minutes a day cares. The only people that still care about covid are basement dwellers and introverts who thought this was their great break.
It's amazing to read reddit threads on the ongoing fight against COVID. There's a large segment of internet dorks who honestly live for this isolated, no contact with other people shit. They're relishing having a "reason" to always wear a mask in public from now on to limit social interactions with other people.

I mean, they're all anime/video game dorks that are likely some shade of translucent white and never left the house before COVID, but still....

We'll start the bidding at $100 to be able to smack OP 5 times in the face while his hands are tied behind his back. I'll be the first bid at $500.

It's amazing to read reddit threads on the ongoing fight against COVID. There's a large segment of internet dorks who honestly live for this isolated, no contact with other people shit. They're relishing having a "reason" to always wear a mask in public from now on to limit social interactions with other people.

I mean, they're all anime/video game dorks that are likely some shade of translucent white and never left the house before COVID, but still....
Yep. I was warning about this in early 2020 and people thought I was nuts. Think of all the people bitching about having to go back to work and interact in the office.

Two new omicron subvariants that appear even more transmissible than the highly-contagious BA.2 are driving an uptick in Covid cases in New York, the state’s health department saidWednesday.

While there’s no evidence that either causes more severe disease, the department estimates they have a 23% to 27% growth advantage over the BA.2 variant that was itself more infectious than the original omicron. It’s the first reported instance of significant community spread due to the two subvariants in the U.S.

“We are alerting the public to two omicron subvariants, newly emerged and rapidly spreading in upstate New York, so New Yorkers can act swiftly,” State Health Commissioner Mary Bassett said in a statement. “While these subvariants are new, the tools to combat them are not.”

The discovery of the two new subvariants in the U.S. comes as both cases and hospitalizations increase nationwide due to the BA.2 subvariant. With more people using at-home tests, there is also concern the numbers could be an underestimate. On Wednesday, U.S. officials extended the pandemic public health emergency and the mask mandate for travelers, citing the rise in cases.

What We Know About Omicron and Its Subvariant BA.2: QuickTake

A few weeks ago, the state health department started investigating an unusual uptick in cases in Central New York, a region of upstate New York. Using open access genomic sequences available through the GISAID database, as well as information sent to the Wadsworth Center from labs in New York, they identified the two subvariants now known as BA.2.12 and BA.2.12.1. They currently represent 90% of cases in the Central New York region and have also been detected in the neighboring Finger Lakes region.

State data released Wednesday show the seven-day average of cases per 100,000 people in Central New York, where the subvariants were identified, is higher than any other region. They are almost twice as high as those in New York City.

The department is continuing to urge residents to get vaccinated and consider wearing masks while indoors. They also suggested upcoming Easter and Passover celebrations be moved outdoors to reduce infection risk.

Unpossible

Warrior Poet insisted these aren't "Omicron variants"

(Despite being handed dozens of links showing they are clearly Omicron variants...)

Unpossible

Warrior Poet insisted these aren't "Omicron variants"

(Despite being handed dozens of links showing they are clearly Omicron variants...)
You’re arguing with a Russian bot. No matter what, you’re losing.

He literally lives for this kind of stuff.
He’s a real sack of shit as well. Has made comments to me about my dead wife because I disagree with him politically. A real disgrace of a human.

Reactions: 83Hawk

you-in-a-glass-house-homie-put-the-stone-down.gif

Who the F is still testing!

A lot of people get tested when they get symptoms. Or if they have contact with someone was positive. Or if they are going to travel. Some unvaccinated people have to test regularly for their job or their college.

ADVERTISEMENT