ADVERTISEMENT

New York bishop robbed of $1 million in jewelry during live stream

Gonolz

HR Legend
Aug 6, 2002
A bishop was robbed at gunpoint of more than $1 million in jewelry while in the middle of giving a live streamed sermon at a church in New York City on Sunday, police said.

The bishop, Lamor Miller-Whitehead, was speaking at his Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministry on Ramsen Avenue in Brooklyn when three people barged and demanded jewelry from him and his 38-year-old wife, a spokesperson for the NYPD confirmed to UPI.

"The individuals removed more than $1 million worth of jewelry from the two victims," the spokesperson said.

Being a bishop must pay better than I thought. Note that the Bishop and his wife were robbed of $1 million in jewelry. Not from their house. These two were actually wearing $1 million worth of jewelry!

Bishop and Wife robbed of $1 million in jewelry

Why aren’t we taxing these conmen again?
FYIfwCkX0AMjxvp

A bishop was robbed at gunpoint of more than $1 million in jewelry while in the middle of giving a live streamed sermon at a church in New York City on Sunday, police said.

The bishop, Lamor Miller-Whitehead, was speaking at his Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministry on Ramsen Avenue in Brooklyn when three people barged and demanded jewelry from him and his 38-year-old wife, a spokesperson for the NYPD confirmed to UPI.

"The individuals removed more than $1 million worth of jewelry from the two victims," the spokesperson said.

Being a bishop must pay better than I thought. Note that the Bishop and his wife were robbed of $1 million in jewelry. Not from their house. These two were actually wearing $1 million worth of jewelry!

Bishop and Wife robbed of $1 million in jewelry
Sounds to me he was robbing his followers blind.

Not tax deductible church donations from individuals, dipsh*t. The churches themselves don't pay federal, state or local taxes, nor do they pay property tax.

But the only way the churches have money is by people giving them the money.

If it's tax deductible for the giver it's by logic tax deductible for the receiver as well.

Companies "give away their earned money" to employees and contractors every day.

And every one of those employees and contractors pay taxes on that money.

Those people are giving money for a good or service. Not a charity. A church isn't a good or service. I've never been to a church where people who give a lot receive any different level of spiritual care than those who give little to none.

Don't get me wrong I certainly think the people who follow this pastor should be asking why he has a million bucks worth of anything, especially Jewelry. If that came from their donations than they should get rid of him.

I will note however that some (but not all) of the rich pastors that people harp about often make their big money via book sales and not directly from their church. Book sales are of course taxed.

The biggest corruption I see is pastors who operate as if the church where simply an extension of themselves. So they basically have it so the church owns a bunch of stuff (that might be taxed if they owned it or bought it.) but they are the only people in the church that gets to use it. For the ultra wealthy types this might include the church's private jet or the church's big gigantic mansion it calls a parsonage.

This is also why I don't trust mega churches and churches that have only had one pastor. Most of the church's I've attended have been around since the 1800's and have had usually least a dozen different head pastors.

The thing about taxing churches is that you are hurting the majority 95% who are not corrupt in order to deliver a flick of the ear to the corrupt 5%. You have all the support from me going after the corrupt 5% as long as you don't hurt the 95% that are not corrupt. I don't know how you do it but I'll support it if I believe it can be done.

Last edited:
Reactions: EagleHawk

If it's tax deductible for the giver it's by logic tax deductible for the receiver as well.
Huh??? If the donation is tax deductible to the giver, then it is not taxed income. If you also let the receiver (i.e., the church) receive it without paying tax, then it is never taxed. It is the government losing tax revenue it otherwise should have had.

I don't support government giving up tax revenue so that conmen can wear $1 million worth of jewelry tax-free.

Reactions: nelly02
Huh??? If the donation is tax deductible to the giver, then it is not taxed income. If you also let the receiver (i.e., the church) receive it without paying tax, then it is never taxed. It is the government losing tax revenue it otherwise should have had.

I don't support government giving up tax revenue so that conmen can wear $1 million worth of jewelry tax-free.

Yeah that's true and that's true of any money that goes to a 501-c-3. If I give money for cancer research the same thing happens. If I give money to a league that provides poorer children the opportunity to play soccer without it costing them a large amount of money it's the same thing.

My ballroom dance club in college was/is a 501-c-3. I personally filed the paperwork with the IRS for it.

The average local congregation in your community.
struggles to meet their annual budget. The pastor
does not receive a big salary and lives paycheck to
paycheck. The mega-churches in our nation have
given Christianity a bad name with the extravagant
lifestyle of their pastors.

iu

Is this a pic of you when you were with your ballroom dance club?

No I had to get executive board approval on expenses over $500. Also we had like $3,000 in revenue the last year I was treasurer.

Remember though any changes to this law hurts the 95% of churches that are not corrupt. If you hate organized religion you might call that a two for one sort of deal but if you are really just trying to go after the corrupt pastors then you are trying to get justice upon a murderer by nuking the entire city he lives in.

I'm not familiar with Olsteen's finances but while I'm not a fan of his preaching or heresies I am under the impression that his wealth is via book sales, not donations.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if this was not the case or he uses his "church" as a front to shelter his wealth by doing things like having the church buy him a private jet.

I have no loyalty to the man, I just want to point out there are some pastors who got wealthy via book sales and not by being corrupt.

I love that idea. I'm going to tell my boss to cancel my salary and instead donate money to me every month. That way neither of us has to pay taxes on it. Thanks for the advice.

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
I love that idea. I'm going to tell my boss to cancel my salary and instead donate money to me every month. That way neither of us has to pay taxes on it. Thanks for the advice.

It is possible to do although illegal. But you would first have to set up a charity and show a charitable purpose. Taking care of yourself does not count as a charitable purpose.

Lol…have you seen how those “holy people” live?

I've seen how a lot of clergy live and most live relatively normal middle class lives. Some even struggle financially.

Clergy that have millions either via book sales or via using their church as a front for their own luxuries are the exception not the rule.

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT