ADVERTISEMENT

New York high court to determine if Bronx Zoo elephant is a person

It’s true bub, sorry
goodfellas-two.gif
I know I went full douche. These people get me sometimes

Reactions: fredjr82
Animals are just dumber different looking "people." Animal rights will become a big thing in the future. Why should we have a right to put something in the zoo just because we're more clever?

I think it all boils down to the idea of speciation and what it means. I don't think it means anything, ultimately. All forms of sentient life need equal respect.
So you are a vegan?

When Mitt Romney famously said, "corporations are people" he didn't fully appreciate the fact that some Americans (mostly on the left) don't understand that the vast majority of corporations are basically just another name for the rich guy who owns the company.
So? By that definition, corporations are no more people than a folder on my desk is.

Whatever though, the country is in a far worse place now than it was before that decision and it may ultimately be among the worst decisions a Supreme Court has ever made ranking right up there with the decisions that kept slavery legal. Personally, I don't see how this ever gets fixed either because there will never be enough elected people in charge to write a law that gets rid of it.

I never have less than 25k in the bank account and 150k that I can instantly liquidate. I of course buy on credit and pay it off every month for those gains.

I never have less than 25k in the bank account and 150k that I can instantly liquidate. I of course buy on credit and pay it off every month for those gains. I own a house and two vehicles that I owe nothing on.I do not own a wetsuit. How are you doing?
I’m a douche for posting a pic, but you brag about money with ZERO proof?! 😂🤡😂🤡🎉 And we all know wetsuits don’t come in size XXX Walrus Belly!

A corporate entity is a legal shield for those who create/operate it.

It is created by and maintained by people to satisfy a legal and societal need.

It has nothing to do with animals. That's a ridiculous analogy.
And if you really don't think "corporations" have opinions that they advocate, I have several hundred thousand corporate DEI bureaucrats who would like a word...

It's weird that a living creature gets eye rolls and "this is crazy extremist stuff" when it's status as a living, thinking being is brought up but when corporations want to be treated like a person (at least in cases where it helps them, not when it is inconvienent) these same people eye roll give an enthusiastic "Yes sir!".

I don't really have an opinion on this specific case but at least an elephant needs food and water to survive, can make babies, and shows empathy. None of which a corporation does.
Your tin hat needs some new foil.

So? By that definition, corporations are no more people than a folder on my desk is.
A corporation is a group of people (or as mentioned, a person) organized in a specific manner to limit specific liability.
Should those people be denied their human rights while operating under the auspices of the organization?

This is why the decision freed labor unions to spend money advocating for their causes without the prior restriction that existed solely to shield entrenched politicians from the temporal proximity of speech they saw as politically damaging.

What’s the basis for the idea that people actively collectively lose rights they possess individually?

A corporation is a group of people (or as mentioned, a person) organized in a specific manner to limit specific liability.
Should those people be denied their human rights while operating under the auspices of the organization?

This is why the decision freed labor unions to spend money advocating for their causes without the prior restriction that existed solely to shield entrenched politicians from the temporal proximity of speech they saw as politically damaging.

What’s the basis for the idea that people actively collectively lose rights they possess individually?
Those people are free to exercise their rights as they see fit. Nobody is stopping them. They just have to do it on their own.

You don't like cancel culture? Overturn citizens united. You don't like Rand Paul openly advocating and policy making for our nation's enemies? Overturn citizens united. Nothing good has happened from this decision. Nothing.

Those people are free to exercise their rights as they see fit. Nobody is stopping them. They just have to do it on their own.
You confirm holding the opinion, but my question remains:

You don't like cancel culture? Overturn citizens united. You don't like Rand Paul openly advocating and policy making for our nation's enemies? Overturn citizens united. Nothing good has happened from this decision. Nothing.
If you want to do away with Citizens United, then corporate taxation must come to an end. No taxation without representation…

Reactions: NCHawk5
If you want to do away with Citizens United, then corporate taxation must come to an end. No taxation without representation…
Corporations aren't people. No wonder Republicans want an autocratic, fascist state. They think corporations have more rights than actual, breathing citizens do.

You confirm holding the opinion, but my question remains:

Let me know when those same people can be collectively charged with crimes.

Can you honestly say that the United States is in a better place since Citizens United? The ruling has completely destabilized our government and I'm not sure it's going to survive it. We already have states that are trying to completely ignore the Constitution. Fortunately, none of them have tried ignoring court rulings yet, but DeSantis is close. He's had two redistricting maps thrown out but he doesn't seem to care.

Let me know when those same people can be collectively charged with crimes.
That’s your basis for the idea that people should lose their human rights when they act collectively?
Do I dispel your entire premise by pointing out there are charges for conspiracy? A conspiracy requires more than an individual’s actions.
I don’t think you’ve explained why you believe people should lose their human rights when they act collectively.
Not a big fan of the civil rights marches?

Can you honestly say that the United States is in a better place since Citizens United?
Yes, restricting free speech because politicians don’t like people talking about them negatively near elections is abhorrent. I’m glad the law was overturned and the crucial right to free speech was protected.

That’s your basis for the idea that people should lose their human rights when they act collectively?
Do I dispel your entire premise by pointing out there are charges for conspiracy? A conspiracy requires more than an individual’s actions.
I don’t think you’ve explained why you believe people should lose their human rights when they act collectively.
Not a big fan of the civil rights marches?

Yes, restricting free speech because politicians don’t like people talking about them negatively near elections is abhorrent. I’m glad the law was overturned and the crucial right to free speech was protected.
They don't lose their "human" rights. It's weird that you would say a business is human.

Corporations can be charged with crimes and a group of executives can be charged with crimes.

Google "respondeat superior" and "RICO".
It's cute that you think that happens anymore. Just like there aren't supposed to be monopolies either.

I’m triggered. The writer clearly doesn’t respect pronouns of the elephant/human. We don’t know how this elephant identifies. The writer made an assumption based on sex organs which is frankly disrespectful

They don't lose their "human" rights. It's weird that you would say a business is human.
I think it’s weird you think a corporation only exists for business.

a company or group of people authorized to act as a single entity (legally a person) and recognized as such in law.

The Latin derivative means ‘combine into one’.
Your comprehension appears to be stymied by your knowledge in this regard.

I think it’s weird you think a corporation only exists for business.

a company or group of people authorized to act as a single entity (legally a person) and recognized as such in law.

The Latin derivative means ‘combine into one’.
Your comprehension appears to be stymied by your knowledge in this regard.
Great. Stay out of politics. If you want to make recommendations to your employees on who to vote for or whatever, sure, I don't have an issue with that. But actively funding campaigns used to be called bribing and pay-for-play corruption. The behavior of Congresspeople has reflected this change as well. We are a weaker country because of it. Not to mention all of the foreign money this has injected into the system. You think Rand Paul advocates for Putin because he suddenly loves Russian ideology?

Great. Stay out of politics. If you want to make recommendations to your employees on who to vote for or whatever, sure, I don't have an issue with that. But actively funding campaigns used to be called bribing and pay-for-play corruption. The behavior of Congresspeople has reflected this change as well. We are a weaker country because of it. Not to mention all of the foreign money this has injected into the system. You think Rand Paul advocates for Putin because he suddenly loves Russian ideology?
I don’t think Rand Paul advocates ‘for Putin’.
I think he would prefer our country quit involving itself in foreign wars.

What do you know of the actual Citizens United case?

I don’t think Rand Paul advocates ‘for Putin’.
I think he would prefer our country quit involving itself in foreign wars.

What do you know of the actual Citizens United case?
Well, Rand Paul does. You might want to get used to that. He can't hide from his actions.

Citizens United opened up politicians to unlimited money from dark money sources where anyone on the planet can provide untraceable financing to any politician they want. Now this is the part where you play dumb and pretend that there couldn't be any possible way that anyone would actually abuse this completely unregulated money fund. Groups like the NRA can accept money from anyone, not have to report where it came from, and then give that money to any politician they want. I bet you think it's a crazy coincidence that the NRA went bankrupt shortly after it was found out they had accepted hundreds of millions of dollars in foreign money.

Animals are just dumber different looking "people." Animal rights will become a big thing in the future. Why should we have a right to put something in the zoo just because we're more clever?

I think it all boils down to the idea of speciation and what it means. I don't think it means anything, ultimately. All forms of sentient life need equal respect.
So will crating a dog be considered false imprisonment or picking a puppy out of a litter considered kidnapping?

Well, Rand Paul does. You might want to get used to that. He can't hide from his actions.
You misinterpret his actions.
But that’s neither here nor there.

Citizens United opened up politicians to unlimited money from dark money sources where anyone on the planet can provide untraceable financing to any politician they want.
That’s incorrect.
But also not even what I’m asking about.
Do you know what/who Citizens United was? What their ‘criminal act’ actually was?

Groups like the NRA can accept money from anyone, not have to report where it came from, and then give that money to any politician they want.
No, they can’t.
They can spend as much as they want on communications about a candidate, but the Citizens United decision didn’t allow unlimited donations to politicians.
You are clearly misunderstanding and conflating things here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT