ADVERTISEMENT

Newly elected lawmaker Frost denied D.C. apartment over bad credit

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Guess he'll have to sleep in his office!:

Rep.-elect Maxwell Frost (D-Fla.), the first member of the Gen Z generation elected to Congress, said Thursday that a company in Washington rejected his application to rent an apartment because of his bad credit score.
As Azi Paybarah reports, Frost declined to identify the building, the size of debt or credit score, but said the building where his application was rejected was in the Navy Yard neighborhood, which is just over a mile from the U.S. Capitol.
“I was excited because I had finally found a place that made sense for me, that was in my price range,” Frost said in an interview. Before applying, he said he disclosed “that my credit was bad. I told the guy my whole situation and he said ‘apply, you’re going to be fine.’”
Per Azi:
Frost said he paid a $50 application fee and submitted his information. After the rejection — and the loss of the fee — Frost said he was “told there really is nothing I can do. It’s just unfortunate. They said you can call and dispute the result, but I said I don’t know what I’d be disputing. I have a bad credit — I admit it.”
Frost, 25, famously drove an Uber to pay his bills while campaigning full time in his central Florida district. He has quickly become a potent force within the Democratic Party ...
In true Gen. Z fashion, Frost first aired his housing woes on social media.
“Honestly I just posted it because I was pretty angry about what had happened,” he told The Washington Post. His message on Twitter quickly generated thousands of responses, including some from Republican critics that Frost argued were hypocritical, considering former president Donald Trump’s multiple bankruptcies.
For now, Frost told Azi he’s probably “going to have to look at individual landlords, and mom-and-pop kind of shops as far as apartments are concerned. But also, I just might need to do some couch surfing or staying with somebody a little while I figure it out, or AIRBNB.”
Read more on Frost’s rental woes — and the difficult D.C. housing market — here.

I haven’t lived in an apartment for a quarter of a century. What kind of score do you need to rent? 700?

Don't worry young man. You are in Government now. You will be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Thought he handled the situation really well...appreciate his candor.

That said....he'll fit right in the house. Spending beyond your means is pretty standard. Almost required :)
He invested really. Getting himself a congressional seat at his age gives him a decent salary and he’s already a best selling author he just hasn’t written the book yet.

In DC? I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine it's pretty competitive.
I think they make 174k. Maintaining two residences puts a crimp on that salary. For perspective, my wife and I make just short of that and I wouldn’t want to pay for an apartment in dc on that salary as well as my regular living expenses.

I really really really wish that they would pass a stipend law for
Living expenses in dc. Maybe 20-25k a year. It would open up the job to more people.

Reactions: Cougar63
“I was excited because I had finally found a place that made sense for me, that was in my price range,” Frost said...
This part confuses me because the Navy Yard area is one of the most expensive areas in DC to live.

He wasn't looking for an affordable place, he was looking for a trendy place.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
This part confuses me because the Navy Yard area is one of the most expensive areas in DC to live.

He wasn't looking for an affordable place, he was looking for a trendy place.

It wasn’t about cost. He can afford it, they just won’t rent to him because his credit shows a history of being not-so-good with money.

It wasn’t about cost. He can afford it, they just won’t rent to him because his credit shows a history of being not-so-good with money.
Right, I get that. I was more commenting on him saying he'd found a place in his price range - no real need to say that because his price range was obviously at the top end of rents for DC.

More like he will be able to afford it once his congressional salary kicks in. That said, $174K isn't much in DC. He'll be spending a good portion of that on rent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT