ADVERTISEMENT

Newsome

Just another guy we don't need. Yes we want to keep in state players home, but if he so motivated to leave for an unproven has been program like debra more power to him. Sounds like he never really was a Hawk and its better that he is elsewhere.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
You ( by that I mean Husker fans that apparently have no other life than to cruise other teams message boards) are bizarre bunch. Cool support your team - but what is driving you to come to Hawkeye Report? The attention whoring is strong.

The admins at Hawkeye Report have a tradition of free speach and thinking, so fans of other teams get away with a lot more. The Nebraska Rivals site must be run by Dr. Goebbels' offspring. If you don't toe the party line you will disappear.

He does not have a commitable offer to IOWA so I haven’t been watching this one.
So Iowa pulled his offer? Otherwise, to my knowledge, the Hawks don't give out "non-commitable" offers. The Hawks only seem to have the requirement that they'll often not accept the commitment of a player until he's been on campus. Given that Newsom has been on campus many times - that would not be an issue for him.

The only way I'd see that the Hawks wouldn't accept a commitment from Newsom is if they already had one from Fox. However, as far as I know, while Fox really likes the Hawks ... he's still considering all his options in his recruitment.

So Iowa pulled his offer? Otherwise, to my knowledge, the Hawks don't give out "non-commitable" offers. The Hawks only seem to have the requirement that they'll often not accept the commitment of a player until he's been on campus. Given that Newsom has been on campus many times - that would not be an issue for him.

The only way I'd see that the Hawks wouldn't accept a commitment from Newsom is if they already had one from Fox. However, as far as I know, while Fox really likes the Hawks ... he's still considering all his options in his recruitment.
I think he means the coaches are liking what they are hearing from Fox, while realizing that Newsom is gone. It is a bit disappointing to see a talented instate kid go to Debby, but, we're full up with Hunt, Karchinski, and Fox (if he does end up with the Hawks). It's a cliche to say we don't need him, but if the cards fall like they look to be, we really don't.

We have lots of “comittable offers” that seem to lapse, hence becoming non commitable. Brock, DJ Miller, Larry Tracy are all recent examples of kids that had offers lapse.

I don’t doubt for a second that Iowa stopped recruiting Newsome. Whether Iowa or Newsome lost interest first is for message board fodder, but we moved on months ago when we took the DL out of Wisconsin and put the full court press on Hunt and Fox.

Nebraska is winning some recruiting. The Forst hype is a cloud 9 right now—but every new coach gets a bump because they can sell hope and have no negative track record. If Frost doesn’t win in year 1 or 2 the hype will come back down. And, as we know, slightly better ranked recruits has translated into domination by Nebraska since the joined thtime Big 10. We will see what if it’s different with Frost.

I think he means the coaches are liking what they are hearing from Fox, while realizing that Newsom is gone. It is a bit disappointing to see a talented instate kid go to Debby, but, we're full up with Hunt, Karchinski, and Fox (if he does end up with the Hawks). It's a cliche to say we don't need him, but if the cards fall like they look to be, we really don't.

According to the only source I have, there has been no communication between either party in some time. They are not accepting an offer from a recruit they are not communicating with. Plain & simple.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Had lunch with my nephew who played with at WSR and he said no one knows, not even his own family.

He too guessed Nebraska though.

He does not have a commitable offer to IOWA so I haven’t been watching this one.

Sad if he doesn’t have a commitable offer, considering he has an offer from three 2017 top 25 coaching staff.
Hope he goes Hawks.

Are we really going to pull the “we didn’t want him anyway” card on an in-state kid with a decent offer list?Makes us look a bit pathetic IMO.

We have lots of “comittable offers” that seem to lapse, hence becoming non commitable. Brock, DJ Miller, Larry Tracy are all recent examples of kids that had offers lapse.

I don’t doubt for a second that Iowa stopped recruiting Newsome. Whether Iowa or Newsome lost interest first is for message board fodder, but we moved on months ago when we took the DL out of Wisconsin and put the full court press on Hunt and Fox.

Nebraska is winning some recruiting. The Forst hype is a cloud 9 right now—but every new coach gets a bump because they can sell hope and have no negative track record. If Frost doesn’t win in year 1 or 2 the hype will come back down. And, as we know, slightly better ranked recruits has translated into domination by Nebraska since the joined thtime Big 10. We will see what if it’s different with Frost.

IMO, the dl out of Wisconsin(Karchinski) is a dt. But we'll see.

This is disappointing, as I see his eventual position as a DT, which is a position where I would like to see the Hawks sign someone, especially an in-state kid.
Not a big loss if he chooses elsewhere. I believe Iowa strongly encouraged him to "look around".

Seems like that there was drift that Newsom's stats indicated a guy who did little to lead his team. Numbers did not reflect a leader but follower type. That's not Iowa football.

Not a big loss if he chooses elsewhere. I believe Iowa strongly encouraged him to "look around".
I think the kid has talent or the Hawks would not have offered long ago. The competition he plays against vs. Karchinski, Hunt or Fox for that matter is a step below. Ironically I have lived in all 4 states during my career and have watched high school football. We definitely have two solid players committed and I am hoping for Fox.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/footb...s&utm_campaign=_Big Red Today Breaking news

Sam McKewon Reporter - Nebraska athletics

LINCOLN — At the time Erik Chinander made the prediction, he had to joke: He just might get in trouble for saying it.

But it was March, and Nebraska’s new defensive coordinator wanted to make a point about recruiting in Iowa. He grew up there. He played high school and college football there. He coached college football there. If there is one place in America where Chinander must know every recruiting nook and cranny, it’s NU’s next-door neighbor to the east.

“Since I grew up in Iowa, I’ll have the state of Iowa, and we’re going to steal some from there,” Chinander said.

Put one on the board for 2019.

Before coach Scott Frost made his first appearance at Big Ten media days in Chicago, Waverly-Shell Rock defensive end Mosai Newsom on Monday committed to the Huskers, becoming the first commit from Iowa since John Raridon in the 2016 class. The 6-foot-3, 255-pound Newsom — a three-star recruit according to the 247sports composite — had an offer from the home-state Hawkeyes. Michigan State, Minnesota and Northwestern had offered, too.
But Nebraska seemed to have Newsom’s attention all spring. He visited multiple times, bringing his family. And NU’s 3-4 defense fit him; he plays a true 3-4 end at Waverly-Shell Rock, where he had 38 tackles and 7.5 tackles for loss. He plays basketball and competes in track, as well, and was named to the first team of 247sports U.S. Army National Combine team.

Newsom’s coach, Mark Hubbard, said in the spring Newsom was just “scratching the surface” of his potential. He’s smart, too, as Ivy League schools showed interest. Newsom said in the spring he wanted to work on his hand placement and footwork as well.

He becomes NU’s 14th commit overall and the third true defensive line recruit in the class, joining Pima Community College nose tackle Tony Fair and Norfolk Catholic’s Ethan Piper who, depending on how much he grows, could be a nose tackle or a defensive end down the line.

Newsom becomes the seventh overall commit inside a 500-mile radius, joining Nebraska in-state commits Piper, Nick Henrich, Garrett Nelson and Garrett Snodgrass, Blanchard (Okla.) wideout Jamie Nance, Tulsa (Okla.) running back Thomas Grayson and Littleton (Colo.) Valor Christian quarterback Luke McCaffrey.

Reactions: Nebyank
The admins at Hawkeye Report have a tradition of free speach and thinking, so fans of other teams get away with a lot more. The Nebraska Rivals site must be run by Dr. Goebbels' offspring. If you don't toe the party line you will disappear.

The Nebraska rivals site sucks. Even if you are a Husker fan and don't toe the party line you are booted. I know from experience.

2d737b006b427e0f966760641adc383a.gif

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Staff feels pretty good with Fox, then becomes a numbers game & obviously you're not going to get a 3 star to walk-on. The kicker is Iowa will develop NFL caliber players from scratch, Nebraska will not.

Reactions: Tunadog
ADVERTISEMENT