ADVERTISEMENT

Next 3 months (and whether Oklahoma gets what it wants) could determine Big 12's Future

Have fun selling this to any P5 conference isu grad. Maybe you can get them to ignore this.

maps of college football fans

Clueless Jeff, the map does not matter, the only thing that matters is how big the population in a state, and does the conference have a team there currently. I pay for the BTN, does not matter that I am not a fan, every person that has cable or sat. TV pays. That is the genius of the system. Say ISU ends up the pac 12, your cable bill goes up in the state of Iowa if your supplier has the network. Iowa fans do not get to opt out, anymore than I can opt out of BTN. Money from the state flows back to the Pac 12. Whether you like it, watch it, or not, does not matter, everyone pays. That is the genius of the system Delany came up with.

Last edited:

Well, look who made it back to HR... what a surprise. [/SARCASM]

Nebraska versue Iowa as a "get" is open to debate. isu versus almost any other major conference athletic program is the challenge.

Your introduction now of football versus all else is just another poorly disguised straw man argument. No one has stated that it is only about football. To try to diminish football because it least benefits isu in this matter is an obvious attempt to move the context away from what it truly is.

Keep baying at your imaginary moon. You will surely find something to make isu appear more attractive than they are.

Do you think that the SEC would take Texas as its first choice? They have the Texas market covered with AM, so how is taking Texas going to be bring more money? Oklahoma would bring in more revenue. I do think the SEC would also take Oklahoma St. if it gets them the Sooners.

Does not matter at all what I think. Your statement, being as absolute as can be, was that the SEC would NOT ever invite Texas. That is blatantly false.

Clueless Jeff, the map does not matter, the only thing that matters is how big the population in a state, and does the conference have a team there currently. I pay for the BTN, does not matter that I am not a fan, every person that has cable or sat. TV pays. That is the genius of the system.

No network today would be able to generate more revenue by adding isu. This is because no network has deals in place like the BTN that don't already get all of Iowa's TV's.

Talk about clueless.

Its not conjecture at all, ISU is an AAU school, so it checks two of the boxes, new market, good academics. Now it does not check any boxes for the big 10, but does for the AAC and Pac 12. But maybe you are right, I am sure those conferences will be lining up to take K-state, O-state, WV or TT over ISU. Football wise, all four are better get than Iowa State, but academically no conference will take them without their sister school. That is not conjecture, just fact.

You speak/post as if you have some particular insight here. Go ahead and post all of the "links" showing the interest any of the other Power 5 Conferences have toward isu.

This is the first time I have heard that Story County is attractive to any conference. There have been maps put together of fans and that is about all that isu brings to the table.

Have fun selling the SEC or any P5 that isu brings anything to the table as far as a new market that is worth paying for.

Clueless, I am sure its the first time you have heard this, you are not the brightest bulb in the house. I have laid it all out for you. I guess you think all these conference presidents and AD's are just sitting around, think how can we make Iowa fans happy by screwing over Iowa State. Your are right, ISU has no value to the SEC, its a football conference, but the other two are academics first, football second.

No network today would be able to generate more revenue by adding isu. This is because no network has deals in place like the BTN that don't already get all of Iowa's TV's.

Talk about clueless.
Again you are clueless, both the SEC and Pac 12 already have them up and running, both were modeled after BTN. The ACC is trying to also start a network with espn, they have signed all the contracts, its just not up and running yet. The SEC is already now bringing in more money than BTN did in its first year. The money given to each school is about the same. Now the BTN is up for renewal in two years, that is when they hope to jump to 40 to 50 million per school. Those numbers are now in doubt with so many people cutting the cord on cable. But at worse, btn will bring in 30 to 35 million per school. Last year ISU receive 21 million through tv, and another 2-3 million through its cyclone tv. As we sit here today, the big 10 is averaging right at 25-27 per school, not a huge difference over the SEC and BIG 12. In fact Texas is making more than any school in the country off their media rights. 21-22 from the Big 12 and 10-15 through the Longhorn network.

You speak/post as if you have some particular insight here. Go ahead and post all of the "links" showing the interest any of the other Power 5 Conferences have toward isu.

5 I have no links, its common sense, just follow the money, that is all you have to do. Right now, there is no interest, if the conference breaks up, than we will see who is right, but only then. If the Oklahoma schools leave it will be to the SEC, then Texas will have to determine what is in their best interest. Keep the league together by adding other schools or going out on their own. If they would leave then I would guess the remaining big 12 schools would look at their options and maybe join with the A-10. The ACC, Pac 12 and Big 10 would then try to expand and pick the best schools to fill their spots. A lot would depend on what ND does, are they going a conference, what happens to the Kansas schools, can they be split or do you have to take both? Its a nice exercise to talk about but nothing more. If Armageddon happens ISU will be fine.

Well, look who made it back to HR... what a surprise. [/SARCASM]

Nebraska versue Iowa as a "get" is open to debate. isu versus almost any other major conference athletic program is the challenge.

Your introduction now of football versus all else is just another poorly disguised straw man argument. No one has stated that it is only about football. To try to diminish football because it least benefits isu in this matter is an obvious attempt to move the context away from what it truly is.

Keep baying at your imaginary moon. You will surely find something to make isu appear more attractive than they are.

So Iowa is now a better get for a conference than Nebraska. Man, its a little early to be drunk, is it not? How many national titles does Iowa have, how many Heisman trophy winners? The populations of the state are almost the same. Nebraska was an AAU at the time they entered the conference, and I have read they are trying to regain it again. Why would any conference take Iowa over Nebraska, if it can take one, Wrestling?

You whole argument is about football, ISU sucks at football so no conference will take them. That is what you have been stating for months. Now you say, oh, its not all about football. Change the topic to try and receive the desired results.

Last edited:
Does not matter at all what I think. Your statement, being as absolute as can be, was that the SEC would NOT ever invite Texas. That is blatantly false.
Kind of like you stating that KF does not have a losing record against Iowa State.

Again you are clueless, both the SEC and Pac 12 already have them up and running, both were modeled after BTN. The ACC is trying to also start a network with espn, they have signed all the contracts, its just not up and running yet. The SEC is already now bringing in more money than BTN did in its first year. The money given to each school is about the same. Now the BTN is up for renewal in two years, that is when they hope to jump to 40 to 50 million per school. Those numbers are now in doubt with so many people cutting the cord on cable. But at worse, btn will bring in 30 to 35 million per school. Last year ISU receive 21 million through tv, and another 2-3 million through its cyclone tv. As we sit here today, the big 10 is averaging right at 25-27 per school, not a huge difference over the SEC and BIG 12. In fact Texas is making more than any school in the country off their media rights. 21-22 from the Big 12 and 10-15 through the Longhorn network.

The SEC network is already available in Iowa on dish, Direct TV and Mediacom so they gain nothing by adding isu. The Pac-12 as best I can tell has never mentioned Story County let alone isu.

The only reason the Big 12 and SEC are close to the Big Ten is because they have renegotiated their contracts while the Big Ten hasn't.

Talk about clueless.

Last edited:

No, it is your statement that is wrong....blatantly false in your hyperbole.

The facts are that no conference has or ever will offer admission to anyone until extensive negotiation have concluded successfully. Like the cliche says, it takes two to tango. There is zilch evidence and even less reason to suppose that the U of Texas has or ever will have a smidgeon of interest in the SEC---which would be a huge step down academically for UTA, would hurt rather than help it increase its access to grants, contracts, ties to other major research universities. Truth is, the SEC is perhaps no longer the academic cesspool of its past, but it is still a bottum-feeder when research and scholarly priorities matter. And while it helped itself by gaining TX A&M, it didnn't help itself by adding Mizzou (next to the Big 12 taking in the vast academic swamp known as West Virginia U, probably the most dubious expansion since the NL added the Miami Marlins, or Ford added the Edsel).

Intro exercise in logic. Simple syllogism: (a). UTA won't bother to answer SEC phone calls or mail; (b) The SEC won't beg at a slammed door; Conclusion: Thus no offer is going to be made.

So Iowa is now a better get for a conference than Nebraska. Man, its a little early to be drunk, is it not? How many national titles does Iowa have, how many Heisman trophy winners? The populations of the state are almost the same. Nebraska was an AAU at the time they entered the conference, and I have read they are trying to regain it again. Why would any conference take Iowa over Nebraska, if it can take one, Wrestling?

You whole argument is about football, ISU sucks at football so no conference will take them. That is what you have been stating for months. Now you say, oh, its not all about football. Change the topic to try and receive the desired results.
Why do you yourself in successive paragraphs? You prattle moronic nonsense about football in paragraph 1; then yell loudly about how wrong your adversary is for babbling a bout football.

Far better that you end your tiresome string of 100 plus posts in this episode of Little Brother rants without this one. Falls in the category of knowing when to stop: you made some good points. Had the better of the argument: Iowa State, while not in the class of U o Texas, is a fine academic & research institution (too bad there are no others in the Big 12---where Bob Bowlsby has finally sunk to his level).

And your silly, stupid laundry list of Nebbie's proud moments in the previous century undermines your vantage in regard to academics & research. Even Moo U fans should curb the pejudice and irrationality of your comparison of UNL to the U of Iowa. Iowa is a first rate major research university. Nebbie is not. Iowa's med school,law school, Fine Arts, Pharmacy School rank in the top 20 nationally. No college at Nebbie does. Iowa has more than a half-dozen programs & departments rank 1-2-3 nationally. Nebbie has none. Iowa's admission standards are much higher. Indeed, Nebbie's most prestigious program isn't even at Lincoln: the med school is in Omaha with UNO.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, Nebbie was taken into the BT because of its future, despite its present and past. Possibly the most astute move that UNL could make would be to realize this is the 21st century, and that it should put its football memoroblia in a museum and leave the iover-the-top football mania to the fans at Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, Florida State and other such academoc losers and their Age of the Dinosaurs.
Omaha is an emerging cultural center, the agricultural base is land-rich and farmer-savvy, it has an energetic philantrophy. The only real obstacle to Nebbie reaching parity with other BT schools is likely to be its politics. which it shares with Mississippi, Arkansas, Alabama dersdpite its higher literacy.

Why do you yourself in successive paragraphs?

should curb the pejudice

football memoroblia in a museu

leave the iover-the-top football mania

other such academoc losers

an energetic philantrophy.

Alabama dersdpite its higher literacy.

This is so beautiful!

5 I have no links, its common sense, just follow the money, that is all you have to do. Right now, there is no interest, if the conference breaks up, than we will see who is right, but only then. If the Oklahoma schools leave it will be to the SEC, then Texas will have to determine what is in their best interest. Keep the league together by adding other schools or going out on their own. If they would leave then I would guess the remaining big 12 schools would look at their options and maybe join with the A-10. The ACC, Pac 12 and Big 10 would then try to expand and pick the best schools to fill their spots. A lot would depend on what ND does, are they going a conference, what happens to the Kansas schools, can they be split or do you have to take both? Its a nice exercise to talk about but nothing more. If Armageddon happens ISU will be fine.
If "fine' means the Mountain West then yep they will be "fine".

The SEC network is already available in Iowa on dish, Direct TV and Mediacom so they gain nothing by adding isu. The Pac-12 as best I can tell has never mentioned Story County let alone isu.

The only reason the Big 12 and SEC are close to the Big Ten is because they have renegotiated their contracts while the Big Ten hasn't.

Talk about clueless.

Are you really this stupid? So BTN is only in states that have conference schools, my god your really are clueless. BTN, PAC12, SEC network get to one price for a state that does not have a school in their conference , but charges a higher price to the people of a state that does. The people of Maryland could view BTN before they joined the conference, after they joined, the price goes up. Plus you have cable, a company like Mediacom here in Iowa may not SEC network, but when a school from that state joins, they would add, them, bringing in more money. The SEC has only been up an running for a little over a year, when BTN redoes their deal, they will pull away, and a couple of years later SEC network will do the same thing.

Are you really this stupid? So BTN is only in states that have conference schools, my god your really are clueless. BTN, PAC12, SEC network get to one price for a state that does not have a school in their conference , but charges a higher price to the people of a state that does. The people of Maryland could view BTN before they joined the conference, after they joined, the price goes up. Plus you have cable, a company like Mediacom here in Iowa may not SEC network, but when a school from that state joins, they would add, them, bringing in more money. The SEC has only been up an running for a little over a year, when BTN redoes their deal, they will pull away, and a couple of years later SEC network will do the same thing.

The BTN is nation wide. Mediacom in Iowa has the SEC network as does Dish and Direct TV. If you really believe isu has the fan base and clout to be able to demand that cable networks and the satellite providers pay more to cover Iowa, which they already do you are a moron. Either that or you truly believe no one that negotiates contracts has ever seen the map I have already posted. Why would anyone in their right mind do that?

Keep trying clueless isu grad.

The BTN is nation wide. Mediacom in Iowa has the SEC network as does Dish and Direct TV. If you really believe isu has the fan base and clout to be able to demand that cable networks and the satellite providers pay more to cover Iowa, which they already do you are a moron. Either that or you truly believe no one that negotiates contracts has ever seen the map I have already posted. Why would anyone in their right mind do that?

Keep trying clueless isu grad.

Again Clueless, it does not matter, which school has the most fans, I have direct TV, it does not matter that I do not watch the SEC network, I pay for it. When a school from a state joins the conference, the rates those people pay in that state increase. I do not have a say in matter. UNI, Drake, Iowa, or Iowa State fans, will all pay more. This is not a pissing contest of which school has the most fans in a state, everyone in that state would see the rate increase. How many people in NJ care about Rutgers, few if any, most are NFL fans, but they all saw an increase in their cable or sat. bill when Rutgers joined the Big 10. That is where the reported 40 million in new money came from. All of conference tv networks are nationwide, not just in the states that have a conference school.

Last edited:
Again Clueless, it does not matter, which school has the most fans, I have direct TV, it does not matter that I do not watch the SEC network, I pay for it. When a school from a state joins the conference, the rates those people pay in that state increase. I do not have a say in matter. UNI, Drake, Iowa, or Iowa State fans, will all pay more. This is not a pissing contest of which school has the most fans in a state, everyone in that state would see the rate increase. How many people in NJ care about Rutgers, few if any, most are NFL fans, but they all saw an increase in their cable or sat. bill when Rutgers joined the Big 10. That is where the reported 40 million in new money came from.

Why would anyone pay more to cover Iowa when they already do? isu brings nothing to justify paying more. Prove that rates increase when a network ADD's a school in a state that already has coverage on the network.

Good luck.

No contract negotiator in any company in any industry would be dumb enough to negotiate a contract which puts in cost escalation clauses unless that contract can also escalate the revenue side of the equation.

isu grad isn't smart enough to understand that is what he is arguing.

How many posts will it take before he figures it out, 20?

I will take the over.

No contract negotiator in any company in any industry would be dumb enough to negotiate a contract which puts in cost escalation clauses unless that contract can also escalate the revenue side of the equation.

isu grad isn't smart enough to understand that is what he is arguing.

How many posts will it take before he figures it out, 20?

I will take the over.
Why don't you two get a fn room!!

Why would anyone pay more to cover Iowa when they already do? isu brings nothing to justify paying more. Prove that rates increase when a network ADD's a school in a state that already has coverage on the network.

Good luck.

Jeff its in the BTN bylaws, the get say .25 cents from each home in a state that does not have a big 10 team in that state, and the price goes to a dollar when one is added. This has been reported many times here and on other sites. That is the genius of the system that Delaney came up with. Every home in the new state pays the increase, thereby bringing in extra money for the conference. But each school in the conference may get a smaller share. Going from 14 to 16 in the big 10 case, so that is why you are better off expanding to states with larger population bases.

I am not doubting there are different price structures. The whole crux of your argument is that isu would be fine because cost increases would automatically kick in for all satellite and cable providers just because isu would join the SEC.

Prove there is a cost escalation clause that all cable and satellite companies agreed to. The BTN by-laws can say whatever they want. BTN by-laws won't require satellite or cable providers to pay more because a school is added. That would only occur if each contract stated so. No satellite or cable company would be dumb enough to negotiate in an escalation in their costs.

If you can prove otherwise have at.

Link?

I am not doubting there are different price structures. The whole crux of your argument is that isu would be fine because cost increases would automatically kick in for all satellite and cable providers just because isu would join the SEC.

Prove there is a cost escalation clause that all cable and satellite companies agreed to. The BTN by-laws can say whatever they want. BTN by-laws won't require satellite or cable providers to pay more because a school is added. That would only occur if each contract stated so. No satellite or cable company would be dumb enough to negotiate in an escalation in their costs.

Link?
ISU in the SEC may be one of the dumbest things I have ever seen posted on here.JFC get a clue.

Link?

CLueless Jeff, I never said it applies only to Iowa State, it would be any school that joins a new conference. If this did not occur, how do you explain the big 10 gaining an extra 40 to 80 million by adding Maryland and Rutgers? I have never said the SEC will take ISU, they will not, but if the big 12 would break up, the ACC or PAC 12 would.

CLueless Jeff, I never said it applies only to Iowa State, it would be any school that joins a new conference. If this did not occur, how do you explain the big 10 gaining an extra 40 to 80 million by adding Maryland and Rutgers? I have never said the SEC will take ISU, they will not, but if the big 12 would break up, the ACC or PAC 12 would.

The increases the Big Ten has had isn't due to Rutgers and Maryland joining. None of the main contracts the Big Ten has with ESPN, ABC, Direct TV, Dish or cable have been re-negotiated with those schools as part of the new footprint. So as I have been stating there are no automatic cost increases in place until both the conference and providers (direct tv, dish, etc) agree to it.

Again feel free to prove otherwise.

You need to go back to cyclonefanatic you will fit in fine with the rest of their jibberish.

Reactions: HerkyFan
You need to go back to cyclonefanatic you will fit in fine with the rest of their jibberish.

I love it that he has isu fan in his screen name. The more the he posts the better it reflects on the quality of education that is provided by isu.

More please.

The increases the Big Ten has had isn't due to Rutgers and Maryland joining. None of the main contracts the Big Ten has with ESPN, ABC, Direct TV, Dish or cable have been re-negotiated with those schools as part of the new footprint. So as I have been stating there are no automatic cost increases in place until both the conference and providers (direct tv, dish, etc) agree to it.

Again feel free to prove otherwise.

Here you go clueless, four links that show how adding Maryland and Rutgers brought in the extra money. Increase in advertising plus allowed to charge more as an instate conference school.

awfulannouncing.com/.../big-ten-tv-revenue-expected-climb-40-million

www.forbes.com/.../why-adding-cash-strapped-maryland-and-rut.

www.si.com/college-football/2014/06/18/big-ten-expansion
www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/.../big_ten_expansion_qa_how_addi..

Not unless they were forced to as part of a package deal brokered and forced upon them by the NCAA.

ISU brings nothing to the table for either conference except ~500 tv sets and deep knowledge of bovine biology.

Reactions: HerkyFan
Here you go clueless, four links that show how adding Maryland and Rutgers brought in the extra money. Increase in advertising plus allowed to charge more as an instate conference school.

awfulannouncing.com/.../big-ten-tv-revenue-expected-climb-40-million

www.forbes.com/.../why-adding-cash-strapped-maryland-and-rut.

www.si.com/college-football/2014/06/18/big-ten-expansion
www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/.../big_ten_expansion_qa_how_addi..

Clueless clown fan needs help linking. None of his work.

isu grad showing off that wonderful degree yet again.

More please.

Did I not say the BTN would be up for negations in two years. that is how they hope to get to 40 to 50 million per school. I guess if Clueless Jeff posts it, it must be true.

Clueless clown fan can't read. BTN doesn't come up for re-negotiation for quite awhile.

Try reading my link again. Or not and continue to show off the value of the isu degree.

Reactions: Herkuleez
Not unless they were forced to as part of a package deal brokered and forced upon them by the NCAA.

ISU brings nothing to the table for either conference except ~500 tv sets and deep knowledge of bovine biology.

isu brings Story County to the table. The question is does any P5 conference see ANY value in adding Story County.

Reactions: Herkuleez

Iowa has 3.2 million people. Nebraska has 1.9. Two smallest staes in the B1G by far but I wouldn't say their populations are "almost the same".

I wonder if Boren is holding an ace in the hole? The B1G has researched taking them in the past several years so that cannot be completely out of the question. It would make Nebraska very happy. There are some issues that would need to be addressed, but you never know. The other suitor might be the SEC. Going to be interesting to see what happens.
Is Ok football enough to overcome the acad prob? If this comes to a vote, I can't see them getting the votes. KSU, ISU, Tex, Ok State won't vote against Tex. Not sure about the Tex club. I'm sure you people have a better idea than I do about the loyalties of the schools than I do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT