ADVERTISEMENT

Next Iowa commitment?

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
I don’t even know now? Skyler Bell? Fidone? I think it will end up being a surprise that no one expected. Do we shoot for another RB? Did we even offer any other RB’s that have any Iowa interest as of now? I am not saying a fall back recruit but maybe someone off the radar?

I don’t even know now? Skyler Bell? Fidone? I think it will end up being a surprise that no one expected. Do we shoot for another RB? Did we even offer any other RB’s that have any Iowa interest as of now? I am not saying a fall back recruit but maybe someone off the radar?

I don't know but the rb recruiting will get interesting. If we could flip Irving that would be good.

Per Millhawk: "I don't know but the rb recruiting will get interesting. If we could flip Irving that would be good".

Some info on the MN recruit:

Mar'Keise Irving
"Per 247Sports, Irving is a 5-foot-10, 175-pound back who attends Hillcrest High School in Illinois. He had an outstanding 2019 campaign, rushing for 1,733 yards and 22 touchdowns while adding 405 yards and four touchdowns as a receiver.

Those totals, as well has his elusiveness, strength and speed, has earned Irving a four-star ranking in 247Sports’ Composite. He’s listed as the No. 18 running back in the 2021 recruiting cycle and is the No. 6 prospect from the state of Illinois. Overall, Irving ranks No. 311.

Along with Minnesota, Irving received offers from Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Purdue and Wisconsin".

I don't know but the rb recruiting will get interesting. If we could flip Irving that would be good.

Millihawk... I know Iowa ALWAYS seems to take at least one RB per year.... this may take a while as some under the radar kid like Shadrick Byrd may crop up. Iowa has some talent behind Goodson in Byrd, Leshon and Gavin Williams. I think Iowa is in a good place for Arlen Harris (2022). A lot of kids are missing the attention that summer camps bring. It could be a long open season.

Iowa needs to find 2 more CBs for this class (IMO). Nice to be in the home stretch for the numbers game.

Millihawk... I know Iowa ALWAYS seems to take at least one RB per year.... this may take a while as some under the radar kid like Shadrick Byrd may crop up. Iowa has some talent behind Goodson in Byrd, Leshon and Gavin Williams. I think Iowa is in a good place for Arlen Harris (2022). A lot of kids are missing the attention that summer camps bring. It could be a long open season.

Iowa needs to find 2 more CBs for this class (IMO). Nice to be in the home stretch for the numbers game.

2 more CBs?

I don't see that happening. Maybe 1 CB and 1 safety.

I think we won't see a commit for awhile. But if I were to guess I would say it will be one of the OL.

2 more CBs?

I don't see that happening. Maybe 1 CB and 1 safety.

Iowa can always pick up a safety in recruiting or transfer. Even by offering a preferred walk-on spots. Cornerbacks don't come that cheaply. Most quality CB are from out of state and more likely in the Southeast part of the US. California and Arizona kids don't usually want to come to the Midwest for football (school). :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hankins is a senior and Moss is a junior with Brents (Big Time) will be a redshirt sophomorethis senior. DJ Johnson's departure opens another roster slot. Iowa don't not usually land the plug and play kids that the blue bloods cherry pick each year. Iowa's type usually need a year or two of development time. Getting 2 more to go with Oladokun should fill some gaps the CB room.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Iowa can always pick up a safety in recruiting or transfer. Even by offering a preferred walk-on spots. Cornerbacks don't come that cheaply. Most quality CB are from out of state and more likely in the Southeast part of the US. California and Arizona kids don't usually want to come to the Midwest for football (school). :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hankins is a senior and Moss is a junior with Brents (Big Time) will be a redshirt sophomorethis senior. DJ Johnson's departure opens another roster slot. Iowa don't not usually land the plug and play kids that the blue bloods cherry pick each year. Iowa's type usually need a year or two of development time. Getting 2 more to go with Oladokun should fill some gaps the CB room.

Gaps?

Eligibility after this season:
Moss - 1 year left
Brents- 2 years
Harris- 3 years
Roberts- 2 years
McKinney- 3 years
Deasfernandes- 4 years
Lawson- 4 years
Oladokun- 5 years

We don't have a lot more scholarships to give. I don't see more than 1 more CB added.

You minimize safety but the reality is we play 3 safeties with the cash position and typically 2 CBs.

It's important to add a quality rb every year just like a qb, imo. And there's been some good vibes about Byrd. We need the one cb for sure but I don't see Iowa going for two. Iowa has targeted 2 ol guys if they only get one I think they settle for the five committed. And we have another db transfer then you could be right.

Yeah I'm excited about our spot with Arlen Harris jr but there's a long way to go there.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki

My impression is that Phil really likes Harris ... so I'd look for him to be an eventual "riser" for the Hawks. Furthermore, Roberts is a guy who has been climbing the proverbial ladder for the Hawks ... and has been continuing to earn Phil's trust. So I believe that the Hawks current depth at CB is a little better than the picture you're painting.

However, with that said, it is true that Phil tends to bring DBs into the program in "batches" ... and, from there, he separates the wheat for the chaff. Despite Phil being a pretty well-loved coach from "his guys" ... we still tend to have a pretty high attrition rate at DB. As we've been coming to learn ... maybe part of that has been attributable to Doyle. However, Phil is still known to be quite the yeller and is a VERY detail-oriented guy. Many players might have the raw skills ... but if they cannot learn the nuances ... they're not going to earn Phil's trust and they won't see the field as much.

Consequently, with the departure of DJ Johnson ... I kinda agree. Furthermore, we have to remember that Gulley didn't make it academically - so he failed to enter the program with the rest of the '20 recruiting class. So he's another CB-type who's not there supplying future depth for us at DB. Thus, with those losses, I CAN see the Hawks potentially looking to add another CB/DB-type.

My impression is that Phil really likes Harris ... so I'd look for him to be an eventual "riser" for the Hawks. Furthermore, Roberts is a guy who has been climbing the proverbial ladder for the Hawks ... and has been continuing to earn Phil's trust. So I believe that the Hawks current depth at CB is a little better than the picture you're painting.

However, with that said, it is true that Phil tends to bring DBs into the program in "batches" ... and, from there, he separates the wheat for the chaff. Despite Phil being a pretty well-loved coach from "his guys" ... we still tend to have a pretty high attrition rate at DB. As we've been coming to learn ... maybe part of that has been attributable to Doyle. However, Phil is still known to be quite the yeller and is a VERY detail-oriented guy. Many players might have the raw skills ... but if they cannot learn the nuances ... they're not going to earn Phil's trust and they won't see the field as much.

Consequently, with the departure of DJ Johnson ... I kinda agree. Furthermore, we have to remember that Gulley didn't make it academically - so he failed to enter the program with the rest of the '20 recruiting class. So he's another CB-type who's not there supplying future depth for us at DB. Thus, with those losses, I CAN see the Hawks potentially looking to add another CB/DB-type.

IMO, Harris was vastly under recruited.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT