ADVERTISEMENT

NEXT OPPONENT DISCUSSION: The 4-1 Fighting Illini appear to be for real, open as 3 Point Favorite

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
From ESPN's game story:

Yesterday the Illini beat host Wisconsin by 24 points (34-10); in comparison, tOSU beat Wisconsin by 31. The Illini won in Madison for the first time since 2002. They play a physical brand of football and beat the Badgers at their own game.

Illinois got 17 points off 3 Wisconsin turnovers & scored the game's final 27 points.

They held Wisconsin to 2 yds rushing on 24 carries.

Chase Brown rushed for 129 yards. Brown, who entered the day with an FBS-leading 151 yards rushing per game, produced his sixth straight 100-yard performance.

Illinois' winning formula:

* The Illini outrushed Wisconsin 137-2
* They made fewer mistakes than their opponent
* They were more physical on both sides of the ball

Last edited:
Reactions: Beattheohiostate
In the annual preseason Cleveland.com poll, Illinois was picked only ahead of Northwestern in the B1G West Division.

WEST DIVISION

1. Wisconsin (31 first-place votes) 246 points
2. Iowa (3) 198
3. Minnesota (2) 162
4. Purdue 153
5. Nebraska 123
6. Illinois 65
7. Northwestern 61

EAST DIVISION

1. Ohio State (36) 252
2. Michigan 203
3. Penn State 169
4. Michigan State 162
5. Maryland 104
6. Rutgers 60
7. Indiana 58

Iowa has the exact same problems Wisconsin has, only Iowa is worse at it. At this point I'm debating whether or not I'm even going to bother to watch. I feel like I already know how the game is going to play out and I'm not sure I need that aggravation in my life.

It's hard to see why illini would go away from the formula they used against wisky on D. Selling out to stop the run is the go to move for any D coordinator against Iowa anyway. Stuff the run game and then deal with a QB who can't run and is more easily spooked than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Illinois will pummel Petras. You thought Spencer leading us to zero points in the 4th quarter today was pathetic, it could be worse on Saturday.

As I mentioned early this morning in the orig post, Wisconsin had 24 carries and a grand total of 2 yards rushing. Never thought I would see that out of Wisconsin.

What do you think we will get? If we can't run the ball, we are in big trouble.

Illini will do exactly what what they did to Wisconsin. They blitzed every time and stacked the box. Forced Mertz to beat them and he couldn't.

Wisconsin had 2 rushing yards.

So, how does Brian attack their D?

Or, better yet, how would you attack their D? ;)

I have not watched any of Wisconsin; is their OL as bad as ours? Normally, Wisconsin can still rush on an opponent, no matter how much stacking of the box there is.

This is Bert's 2nd year. Pretty impressive what he's done there so far.

We are getting pressure on the QB rushing 3-4. The key has been the tight coverage by the DB's. Illinois leads the nation in opponent team passing efficiency. Bielema credits that to the DL being able to pressure the QB without a lot of blitzes.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
This is weird to say, because Spencer is no prize.

Iowa is better at the QB position than Wisconsin. On top of being better, he also doesn’t make some of the horrible decisions Mertz makes. Wisconsin would have been ahead 10-7 at halftime if Mertz doesn’t make a completely boneheaded play in the second quarter.

Illinois is no joke, but as I said in another thread, people are not taking into account just how bad Wisconsin appears to be.

Or, better yet, how would you attack their D? ;)

I have not watched any of Wisconsin; is their OL as bad as ours? Normally, Wisconsin can still rush on an opponent, no matter how much stacking of the box there is.

I would put Cooper at QB.

Or, better yet, how would you attack their D?
;)

The difficulty with that line of thought is that no competent offensive coordinator, let alone the posters here, would be trotting out the nonsense that Iowa tries to pass for an offense.

If you're going to limit it to the same scheme, plays and personnel(particularly qb1) that we know KF will be going with, then I've got nothing for you. Trying to do the same thing with the same players in the same positions and you should expect the same results.

I thought he would do well but it would be a 4 year project. Big Bert is a good coach. Still a lot of football to be played this year but they are in the mix.

I forget. Did Bert inherit a ton of talent that just didn't put it together under Smith? Ie, the cupboard was fairly full when he arrived?

From ESPN's game story:

Yesterday the Illini beat host Wisconsin by 24 points (34-10); in comparison, tOSU beat Wisconsin by 31. The Illini won in Madison for the first time since 2002. They play a physical brand of football and beat the Badgers at their own game.

Illinois got 17 points off 3 Wisconsin turnovers & scored the game's final 27 points.

They held Wisconsin to 2 yds rushing on 24 carries.

Chase Brown rushed for 129 yards. Brown, who entered the day with an FBS-leading 151 yards rushing per game, produced his sixth straight 100-yard performance.

Illinois' winning formula:

* The Illini outrushed Wisconsin 137-2
* They made fewer mistakes than their opponent
* They were more physical on both sides of the ball
For some reason IDK WHY! but I feel Iowa will bounce back and beet these FIBS .. will see but Iowa has DEFINITELY had Illinois number over the years

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT