ADVERTISEMENT

NEXT OPPONENT DISCUSSION: The 4-1 Fighting Illini appear to be for real, open as 3 Point Favorite

I believe Illinois is a good, solid, balanced team. I don't know how "tested" they are. If faced with adversity, they might panic. It seems to me that you guys are the more "seasoned" program.

Game feels like a pick'em.

Illinois won’t need to blitz to slow down the run game. They had to against Wisconsin to overwhelm their OL, but such measures aren’t needed against us.

An Illinois win cashes my over 4.5 RSW bet, but I would prefer if they wait until later in the season to do it.

I will certainly watch the game but I am not anticipating seeing us do anything different. I think the most I can find myself hoping for is that they get going on the passing earlier in the game. It was "there" against Michigan early but we rarely tested them and when we had a drive going then 2 over throws killed that. Once we were behind by 20 then SP was taking a piss pounding on a regular basis.

I am not sure what everyone else thought about Michigan but I was not overly impressed outside the initial drive where they definitely took it to our defense. We just don't possess the offense to respond.

Well assuming we're also not gonna get blown out by Illinois...............

This is a massive game for the remainder of the season for Iowa.

A loss Saturday and Iowa will be sitting at 3-4 going into Halloween weekend against a Northwestern team thirsty for a signature Fat Pat Fitzgerald hang their hat on beating his most hated rival Iowa.

Iowa, and more importantly Kirk and Brian need the Hawks to come out on top or there is major risk of losing the team.

And I honestly doubt KF, in particular, will care enough to do anything to make sure to avoid a loss knowing that it will (or will eventually/inevitably) lose him the team..........

Looking forward to it.....can't wait........... :confused:

Illinois won’t need to blitz to slow down the run game. They had to against Wisconsin to overwhelm their OL, but such measures aren’t needed against us.

An Illinois win cashes my over 4.5 RSW bet, but I would prefer if they wait until later in the season to do it.
They don't need to blitz much. Just a few well-timed A gap blitzes to confuse our fat linemen, and make sure to have a defender crashing the backside on our stretch zone runs to either run down the line unblocked and make the tackle or to destroy Petras for a sack on our PA.

Teams have picked up on how to defend against the zone scheme and at this point, it's too easy.......

Wisconsin didn't play well. I don't think Illinois will run all over us. We'll need to sustain drives and avoid turnovers. I think we are starting to gel a bit on the offensive line in the running game and Luke Lachay is now another legitimate option at TE. Iowa wins 20 - 13.

Last edited:
Continued improvement in the run game (I like our improved blocking and running backs) PLUS lets hope to get some improved Pass Pro. I don't see Illinois scoring 31 on us. may 10-14 points, with Iowa 17-24 at least. Iowa wins 24 - 10.

Wisconsin didn't play well. I don't think Illinois will run all over us. We'll need to sustain drives and avoid turnovers. I think we are starting to gel a bit on the offensive line in the running game and Luke Lachay is now another legitimate option at TE. Iowa wins 20 - 13.
Our run defense is growing increasingly suspect as the season progresses and teams see more film of us.

Let's see if Phil can adjust like he does with Purdue WRs.......................

So, how does Brian attack their D?

Or, better yet, how would you attack their D? ;)

I have not watched any of Wisconsin; is their OL as bad as ours? Normally, Wisconsin can still rush on an opponent, no matter how much stacking of the box there is.

This is Bert's 2nd year. Pretty impressive what he's done there so far.
In 1985 Miami Dolphins had the same problem with da bears. Shula had Marino roll out every play. Dolphins beat those nasty Bears

Iowa has the exact same problems Wisconsin has, only Iowa is worse at it. At this point I'm debating whether or not I'm even going to bother to watch. I feel like I already know how the game is going to play out and I'm not sure I need that aggravation in my life.

I always figured you to be the cut and run type.

It's hard to see why illini would go away from the formula they used against wisky on D. Selling out to stop the run is the go to move for any D coordinator against Iowa anyway. Stuff the run game and then deal with a QB who can't run and is more easily spooked than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Not that Iowa will call many of these plays or complete them but when a team is blitzing all the time and leaving only one safety back then you have to run quick slants, quick sit down old style button hook type pass patterns trying to break one tackle, and quick go patterns to get the defender to whiff at the LOS.

Break a few of these plays and they can go the distance. You have to make the defense pay for overplaying.

This is the reason we lose to jNW so many times and ISU when we shouldnt because Kirk is just afraid to take shots down the field,

A blitz doesnt get to a QB on a quick slant and with our punter and defense throw it in the turf if it is not open.

Continued improvement in the run game (I like our improved blocking and running backs) PLUS lets hope to get some improved Pass Pro. I don't see Illinois scoring 31 on us. may 10-14 points, with Iowa 17-24 at least. Iowa wins 24 - 10.
So Iowa, who can't seem to score against anyone, is going to put 17-24 on the best defense they have played against this season? I don't see that happening.

From ESPN's game story:

Yesterday the Illini beat host Wisconsin by 24 points (34-10); in comparison, tOSU beat Wisconsin by 31. The Illini won in Madison for the first time since 2002. They play a physical brand of football and beat the Badgers at their own game.

Illinois got 17 points off 3 Wisconsin turnovers & scored the game's final 27 points.

They held Wisconsin to 2 yds rushing on 24 carries.

Chase Brown rushed for 129 yards. Brown, who entered the day with an FBS-leading 151 yards rushing per game, produced his sixth straight 100-yard performance.

Illinois' winning formula:

* The Illini outrushed Wisconsin 137-2
* They made fewer mistakes than their opponent
* They were more physical on both sides of the ball
That used to be our formula.

ADVERTISEMENT