ADVERTISEMENT

Next up for Nebraska mass exodus -

kwik44

HR Legend
Gold Member
Mar 6, 2003
Luke McCaffrey. Rumor from Nebraska insiders that Frost wanted him to switch to WR & make room for Smothers. Luke not having it.

Of course, Smothers is supposed to be the real deal...

Supposed to be announced today, fwiw.

Last edited:
Good for Frost if so. The kid is not a QB. I don’t even know why they recruited him at the position to begin with. Maybe Frost is learning.

Maybe if LM had been playing WR the entire time, Robinson may not have left because Nebraska would have had another WR to help out.

Players like that can be toxic.

Reactions: Ripcord280
Their running back Dedrick Mills is not coming back - 'focusing on the NFL'. Yea, good luck with that.
A reasonably decent lineman is also not coming back - 'focusing on the NFL'.

They might have one player drafted.

Can't really blame Frost on this one(although it would be fun to), since LM isn't a real QB.... I'm not saying he can't go to a place like Oklahoma and succeed, but with his skill set, his future should be WR... Just like how our coaches told Derby his future is TE, but decided to hear it from Beilema instead lol

Reactions: David1979
The kid was listed as an athlete (not a QB) coming out of high school so none of this is really a surprise. It's likely that Frost was one of a few Power 5 coaches that told him he could play QB. Frost probably knew the kid was a longshot at QB but told him that anyway to get him to Lincoln and figured he'd get him to switch positions at a later date when it didn't work out. Looks like maybe he was wrong.

Last edited:
Can't really blame Frost on this one(although it would be fun to), since LM isn't a real QB.... I'm not saying he can't go to a place like Oklahoma and succeed, but with his skill set, his future should be WR... Just like how our coaches told Derby his future is TE, but decided to hear it from Beilema instead lol
Are you out of your mind?....have you watched Oklahoma in,,oh let's just say in last 10-20 years?.....they have had the best QB lineage in College football...they have guys that can truly throw the football!....LM go to a "place like Oklahoma"...my God.....please stop posting garbage.

Reactions: Cydkar
Unfortunately, almost all of their best defensive guys are staying(standing by for tallest midgets comments). Husker Nation might explode if LM leaves, though.

Oklahoma? Riley is a QB whisperer but he doesn't have super powers.

Their running back Dedrick Mills is not coming back - 'focusing on the NFL'. Yea, good luck with that.
A reasonably decent lineman is also not coming back - 'focusing on the NFL'.

They might have one player drafted.
Hey, that'd be one more than last year.

Reactions: CaboKP
Will there be plenty of empty seats in the stadium when the Hawks play in Lincoln in 2021?
Probably, but all of them will have mysteriously been sold so they can claim their consecutive sell out streak continues... Frost also knows a thing or two about QBs that may have more opportunity and skill set to make it at the next level if they make a position change.

When your only play is a qb scramble there’s a problem.
Well, when the QB has no idea where the center will snap the ball...

Nebraska's problem since Frost arrived has been player development. A P5 conference requires "big boy" mindset and assistant coaches. The Huskers have neither.

Jerry Rice couldn't catch a pass from Adrian Martinez.

McCaffrey isn't a QB. I don't really think he is a WR either.

There are good offensive coaches who could really make him a star. I doubt they're on the staff in Lincoln.

yeah, but this guy Stepp sounds like he could be the Real Deal. Humongous.
Yeah, he and his 2.6 yard average on 44 carries outside of a 49 yard run. He is definitely a step down from Mills.

The big question is, how do the young RBs feel about the transfer? I’m guessing one or two will transfer.

The kid was listed as an athlete (not a QB) coming out of high school so none of this is really a surprise. It's likely that Frost was one of a few Power 5 coaches that told him he could play QB. Frost probably knew the kid was a longshot at QB but told him that anyway to get him to Lincoln and figured he'd get him to switch positions at a later date when it didn't work out. Looks like maybe he was wrong.
Nailed it

So far Nebraska has had former 4 stars - Robinson, Fleming, Greene, and Green all leave.
Last year: 4 stars were Gray, Francois, Mcquitty, and Washington(different)
Doesn't even include guys like Vedral and Spielman.
The last two years alone, 22 guys that were former 3 stars or higher transferred out.
Iowa looks to have 14. Out of those, you have Mansell who was going to be a Senior, Doyle(we know why), Miller(odd injury situation), and Martin. Miller and Martin were the only 4 stars.

Will there be plenty of empty seats in the stadium when the Hawks play in Lincoln in 2021?

There were 20,000 empty seats in Lincoln the last time we played there.

But hey, it was a 'sell out'.

The Omaha paper did a story a while ago about how many fans actually pass through the turnstiles for games. Lincoln Stadium is not often full.

There were 20,000 empty seats in Lincoln the last time we played there.

But hey, it was a 'sell out'.

The Omaha paper did a story a while ago about how many fans actually pass through the turnstiles for games. Lincoln Stadium is not often full.

80% full. If that.

Here is that story:

Huskers: Sellout streak doesn't mean 100% full stadium
December 4, 2019

Since 2016, scanned ticket numbers show Memorial Stadium is, on average, about 80-percent full. The lowest game? A cold November day in 2018 when 2-7 Nebraska squared off against 4-5 Illinois. The Cornhuskers picked up their third win of the Scott Frost era in front of 54,838 fans. The announced attendance that day was another sellout, 88,316.

2019's low total came in the season finale against Iowa. Keep in mind, many students were on Thanksgiving Break, but Nebraska also had a lot riding on the game. Get a win against a Top-20 Hawkeye team, and the Huskers would notch their sixth victory, ensuring a bowl trip. Despite an announced attendance of 89,039, the number of tickets scanned shows 60,232 fans watched the Huskers drop their seventh game of the season.

From 2016-2019, the total "Announced Attendance" at 29 Cornhusker home games was 2,508,661. The number of "Tickets Scanned" during that same stretch was 2,012,724. That's a difference of 495,937, or about 80-percent.

When asked about the discrepancy, Nebraska Athletics provided the following statement: "Our announced attendance figures include all ticketed fans, including students, as well as numerous other groups including media, security, team personnel, working athletic department staff, band(s), event staff, concession workers and others."

To view attendance figures from every game over the last four years, click here.

Here's a breakdown of 2019:

Announced / Tickets Scanned
89, 502............77,910 (S Alabama)
89,593.............76,984 (N Illinois)
89,759.............79,502 (Ohio State)
89,384.............74,935 (Northwestern)
89,317.............72,468 (Indiana)
88,842.............66,860 (Wisconsin)
89,039.............60,232 (Iowa)

LINK: https://www.1011now.com/content/new...k-doesnt-mean-100-full-stadium-565815392.html

Are you out of your mind?....have you watched Oklahoma in,,oh let's just say in last 10-20 years?.....they have had the best QB lineage in College football...they have guys that can truly throw the football!....LM go to a "place like Oklahoma"...my God.....please stop posting garbage.

Jeez, I said a place like Oklahoma that uses a running QB and schemes to have wide open throws where the QB doesn't have to make reads, I didn't say Oklahoma specifically you freaking idiot... know about football before you post garbage, you dumbass

McCaffrey isn't a QB. I don't really think he is a WR either.

There are good offensive coaches who could really make him a star. I doubt they're on the staff in Lincoln.
McCaffery staying actually adds to the intrigue for next year. It'll ensure a controversy the first time AMart overthrows a pass >10 yards. Of course... LM isn't any better, but fans will be screaming to put him in.

This floundering of the Husker program isn't what Nebraska probably expected when they joined the B1G.

What a long, never ending dryspell if you remember the 90s.

Reactions: obfuscating
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT