ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Lineup

Jizzer

HR MVP
Oct 9, 2002
With the recent Lee news, thought I'd ask the experts.
Assuming Lee stays 25 next year, does Ayala or Cullan take 33?
41 Henson
49 Murin
57?Rathjen or Reyna - Any idea who is showing better?
65 Kennedy
74 Brands
84 Assad
97 Warner
HWT Cass

2022-23
125 Ayala
133 Cullan
141 Henson
149 Reyna
157 Rathjen
165 Kennedy
174 Brands
184 Assad
197 Franklin - he'd be a freshman right? Glazier?
HWT - ?

Reactions: SDHN2013
With the recent Lee news, thought I'd ask the experts.
Assuming Lee stays 25 next year, does Ayala or Cullan take 33?
41 Henson
49 Murin
57?Rathjen or Reyna - Any idea who is showing better?
65 Kennedy
74 Brands
84 Assad
97 Warner
HWT Cass

2022-23
125 Ayala
133 Cullan
141 Henson
149 Reyna
157 Rathjen
165 Kennedy
174 Brands
184 Assad
197 Franklin - he'd be a freshman right? Glazier?
HWT - ?
Next year is 2022-23.

Reactions: hlstone
My guess is Ayala redshirts next year & they look to the portal for 157. Both are 149 this year and I think will develop, but they'll need someone AA caliber next year at 57 to compete.
I don't see anyone in house with the size and skill to be a legit 157 pounder next year. Need to find a stop gap and hopefully we can get Shapiro for long term.

What are the extra year situations for Brands, Warner and Cass after this year? 1,1,2?

My guess is Ayala redshirts next year & they look to the portal for 157. Both are 149 this year and I think will develop, but they'll need someone AA caliber next year at 57 to compete.
Any name possibilities for the portal for 157 that anyone cares to throw out there?

Reactions: el dub
Any name possibilities for the portal for 157 that anyone cares to throw out there?
Yahya Thomas- Northwestern (149)
Jonathan Millner- App State (149)
Jared Franek- NDSU (157)

No idea if any of these would even be valid or fit, just looked for higher ranked guys with eligibility that weren’t at blue blood schools.

Reactions: HIWILLE

There are none yet. Certainly not any DeSanto, Eierman, Lugo level of transfers available in the portal right now. It will be interesting to see. It's likely going to be someone from a smaller program looking to become an AA or wanting to wrestle in the Big Ten. Just some names (NOT at all a scoop or even relatively close to that):

Jared Franek - NDSU
Johnny Lovett - CMU
Jordan Slivko - Ohio

Of those 3, we'd love to have Lovett. A South Florida guy from Lugo's rival school (Miami Southridge). Super athlete who would jump levels because of the partners.

Yahya Thomas- Northwestern (149)
Jonathan Millner- App State (149)
Jared Franek- NDSU (157)

No idea if any of these would even be valid or fit, just looked for higher ranked guys with eligibility that weren’t at blue blood schools.
i don't see yahya and millner at 157's. franek would be great but he's from fargo. have a hard time seeing him leave home.

this is the problem with the portal. you can't just assume a good option will be available, let alone that he'll come to iowa.

I figured that too but Mauler took 2 losses at scuffle and I think Jacques out placed him. Granted it was his first go around at 157.
strangely even though mauller is the more accomplished i think jacques always out places him and beats him hth. either would probably be a significant upgrade over what we have next year.

Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk
We mustn't wait!

We need to get ahead of the pack and commit to actively recruiting the already recruited commits before they hit portal and open up their recruitment and re-commitment's.

Clear as mud?
The cesspool is exempt from tampering rules, so why not. Do we have a cesspool recruiting committee and budget?

what about O’Connor
Seems unlikely. He said he wanted to be a Hawk but we didn’t recruit him. Not being an ass, there’s an interview out there form a few years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gobblin
I think after the season ends kids will look at Iowa's lineup, Spencer Lee & anyone in the 157 range will strongly consider transferring to a true title contender.

Our best line-up next year would start with Ayala-125, Lee-133, & Henson-141. Not saying it would or should happen, but that would maximize the team points at nationals. Tell me I'm wrong.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Our best line-up next year would start with Ayala-125, Lee-133, & Henson-141. Not saying it would or should happen, but that would maximize the team points at nationals. Tell me I'm wrong.
Kind of what I was thinking, but didn't want to get mauled. Murin 149, Kennedy 165, Brands 174, Assad 184, Warner 197, and Cass. Pretty solid.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily crazy, but some of that may be predicated on Schreiver's development. And nothing I hate more than an undersized guy in Iowa's lineup, even Spencer Lee at 133. He's a 125 Folkstyle and Freestyle so that's where he belongs with his long term aspirations.

You could argue Ayala tries 133 for a year, but he's not a horse at 125 yet, so that could and most likely would be an issue. Schreiver just needs to stay healthy and keep improving, he'll be solid I think.

I'll bet Facundo, Lee, other Lee and that Barraclaw kid might see there way there....

Where did Busiello end up? Let's get Sokol back for 157, lol. But Riggins might make huge strides too....

I'll bet Facundo, Lee, other Lee and that Barraclaw kid might see there way there....

Where did Busiello end up? Let's get Sokol back for 157, lol. But Riggins might make huge strides too....
Hopefully If were lucky both Lee’s get the heck outta state college ! Don’t need that Joe Lee juju rubbing off on anyone else. As far as Facundo, ya right. No way he transfers or even thinks about it. He’s wrestling for his idol and will be pretty good once he gets the college adjustments made.

Now if you wanna talk a legit transfer outta PSU I can’t couldn’t imagine Michael Beard isn’t on his way to the portal. I can’t imagine he plans on sitting behind Dean for the next 2 years. He’ll be a good pick up for anyone. In my opinion tho, I don’t think he’ll ever crack the code on having a good tank.

Reactions: HerkHawl
Is PK a for sure 65 and not a 57? Hasn’t he been weighing in under weight?

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT