ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

Birdman007

HR All-American
Feb 11, 2010
Can we start talking about how we try to compete next year? Who is going to transfer in to help us? What's the lineup going to look like?

Reactions: twade70
Sorry in advance for the dumb question. Murin and Warner are listed as seniors on Hawkeyesports. How will they be back next year? I’m assuming it has to do with COVID, but I’m not sure how this works.

Sorry in advance for the dumb question. Murin and Warner are listed as seniors on Hawkeyesports. How will they be back next year? I’m assuming it has to do with COVID, but I’m not sure how this works.
Yes, both have an extra COVID year available like Eierman, Kemerer, and Marinelli used to come back this season. Any athlete that went through the 2020-2021 season received an extra year of eligibility from the NCAA if they want to use it.

Reactions: therod
That lineup has maybe 3 AA's in it. Dark days ahead for ol black n gold.

WTF? That lineup has 4 RETURNING AAs in it.
The most sobering stat is the Hawks could have 2 Spencers right now and still not win the whole dang thing.
Dark days are ahead. This year is brutal as it is with even moderate expectations coming in.
You start an account, don’t post for 5 years, and now post this? Did junior get a hold of daddy’s computer?

Lee, Murin, Kennedy, Warner, Cass.

That's without anyone else improving. If that's 3 in your math you needed different teachers.
Lol at anyone improving.......more like stay the same.

If they're good, they stay good not great. If they're bad, they stay bad.

And no that's not a 100% rate, but its definitely a majority rule at this point......

Is Warner for sure coming back next year?

Would you agree we are going to need a couple transfers to make a real run at it?
I sure hope Warner is back. He is not a fan favorite but he has been a very solid wrestler in a very tough weight class. Lee, Warner, Cass gives us 3 potential finalists next year.

We will need to add something at 57. Unless someone already in the room makes huge gains (either in skill or size) we don't have a ready-made replacement for Young. I don't see us adding a 74/84 transfer unless it looks like Brands cannot go next year.

I don't know if him or Assad will be AA level wrestlers but we need them both to make a huge jump next year.

Reactions: pumpdog20
Maybe 3AAs? What an absurd post
3 is probably an accurate number for "sure" AAs. Lee, Warner and Cass. Murin has yet to AA pending tonight but even making it once doesn't mean he is a shoe in although I like his progress this year. The rest of them including Kennedy, Abe and Brands in reality have not provided results yet to say they are going to AA but hopefully a level jump and they can get there. 133, 141 and 157 have the most work to do.

Reactions: Jrjt0518
No need to comment on Spencer, Warner, or Cass. I'm assuming those are the 3 "maybe" AAs that fearthefuture was referring to.

133: It'll be deep again, and there is no replacing DeSanto. Schriever is tough though and does have a win over Biscoglia and didn't back down to Byrd or Cannon. I'm guessing Ayala gets surgery and then redshirts next year.

141: Henson has as good a shot to AA as a freshman as anybody next year. 141 has a lot of really good guys leaving, and Henson wrestled Alirez and Hart close (until getting stuck by Hart). Also has a win over NQ Kinner.

149: Depends on if anyone wants to graduate or use their free year. Wilson is the only one who can't come back. Murin looking tough though. And if he can get that elbow back in working order...

157: Hopefully find someone to qualify.

165: Kennedy will be in the discussion with the other young 165 pounders from day one.

174: Brands isn't going to be a title contender, but he is a definite blood round guy, and he'd be someone I wouldn't want to see in the blood round.

184: Assad has the potential, but maybe not the discipline. 184 isn't going to get any easier. Amine gone obviously, but besides that, not much is going to change. Geer and Venz should be gone, so that is good for Abe.

IMO: 3 for sure AAs (barring injury) in Lee, Warner, and Cass. 2 probable AAs in Murin and Kennedy. 4 BR guys who could possibly be low AAs in Schriever, Henson, Brands, and Assad. 157 is the big question mark.

Not a favorite, but that group could at least make things interesting even without a transfer at 157.

JFC, I’m not reading through this thread but we have 3 guys ranked number 1 out of the gate. In this day and age that’s crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT