ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

NCHawkeye24

HR MVP
Apr 19, 2021
That is what ALL of this is about and what I think is the driving factor behind not changing anyone on the coaching staff, including BF.

- If some depth can be developed at corner and we can get some solid linebacker play, this defense will remain elite for the next 2 years atleast.
- Assuming no major injuries and Cade will be more than likely the best QB in the West, Kaleb Johnson could be the best RB in the west if not the conference, we should have the 2 best tight ends in the west and the offensive line will be all third and fourth year players with tons of starts. The receiving room will be dramatically improved with Anderson, Nico will add a lot and the hope would be someone emerges from the size and speed that has been recruited there.
- Tory is here 1 more year and Stevens will hopefully be here a few more.
- CDJ will be here. Need I say more?

The roster should be solid, A LOT more experience overall than the last couple of years. The offensive line play will hopefully be better just from the development and age standpoint as well as transfers, and the receiving room should have a lot more size and speed.

- In 2023 we go to PSU but miss Michigan and OSU. The PSU game is early and they will probably have a top 5 record at the time, however, they will be breaking in a new QB this year. They will be talented, yes, but they lost a lot of experience from last year.
- Wisconsin plays OSU, Minnesota plays both OSU and Michigan.
- Wisconsin, Purdue and Nebraska are all breaking in new coaches. The bet here is that there will be some growing pains as it takes time to mold a roster into a paradigm shift that is going to happen at all 3 schools. Especially on offense as all 3 will change, and it is really hard to do successfully in the first year.
- Illinois lost quite a few impact players as they were one of the oldest and most experienced teams in the league.
- We should have the best roster in the west hands down in 2023.
- Northwestern will still suck.
- We will be favored in every game except the PSU game and more than likely Wisconsin.

I think the process after considering all of the factors above along with Kirk's age, the addition of USC/UCLA, re-alignment and the unknown in 2024, that it is B1G championship or bust in 2023. Also considering the portal and NIL, I wonder how much KF wants to deal with that. As far as BF goes, I do think he is a much better OC than he is getting credit for, however, that doesn't mean he is a prodigy or innovative or transcendent or anything like that. I think he will go back to the NFL eventually, maybe after next year, but wanted to run it back with his Dad one more time and try to put all the pieces together, and he will have more pieces this year than the last 2.

Anyways, I am just saying that this is the year it all has to happen because I think there will be massive changes coming in 2024 that nobody fully knows. And they kept it all together because they believe it gives them their best shot at it, but, I don't think anyone is looking past next season.

The same as every year. Crappy, boring wins over bad teams. Usual crappy, boring, ugly, losses in every road game, except maybe a 9-6 road win over a real bad team. A toilet bowl game vs a 12th place SEC team, whose good players cared so much, they opted out. The KF era baby ! just one thrill after another lol

That is what ALL of this is about and what I think is the driving factor behind not changing anyone on the coaching staff, including BF.

- If some depth can be developed at corner and we can get some solid linebacker play, this defense will remain elite for the next 2 years atleast.
- Assuming no major injuries and Cade will be more than likely the best QB in the West, Kaleb Johnson could be the best RB in the west if not the conference, we should have the 2 best tight ends in the west and the offensive line will be all third and fourth year players with tons of starts. The receiving room will be dramatically improved with Anderson, Nico will add a lot and the hope would be someone emerges from the size and speed that has been recruited there.

The roster should be solid, A LOT more experience overall than the last couple of years. The offensive line play will hopefully be better just from the development and age standpoint as well as transfers, and the receiving room should have a lot more size and speed.

- In 2023 we go to PSU but miss Michigan and OSU. The PSU game is early and they will probably have a top 5 record at the time, however, they will be breaking in a new QB this year. They will be talented, yes, but they lost a lot of experience from last year.
- Wisconsin, Purdue and Nebraska are all breaking in new coaches. The bet here is that there will be some growing pains as it takes time to mold a roster into a paradigm shift that is going to happen at all 3 schools. Especially on offense as all 3 will change, and it is really hard to do successfully in the first year.
- Illinois lost quite a few impact players as they were one of the oldest and most experienced teams in the league.
- We will be favored in every game except the PSU game and more than likely Wisconsin.

I think the process after considering all of the factors above along with Kirk's age, the addition of USC/UCLA, re-alignment and the unknown in 2024, that it is B1G championship or bust in 2023. Also considering the portal and NIL, I wonder how much KF wants to deal with that. As far as BF goes, I do think he is a much better OC than he is getting credit for, however, that doesn't mean he is a prodigy or innovative or transcendent or anything like that. I think he will go back to the NFL eventually, maybe after next year, but wanted to run it back with his Dad one more time and try to put all the pieces together, and he will have more pieces this year than the last 2.

Anyways, I am just saying that this is the year it all has to happen because I think there will be massive changes coming in 2024 that nobody fully knows. And they kept it all together because they believe it gives them their best shot at it, but, I don't think anyone is looking past next season.
I’ll say third or fourth place in Big Ten West. Definitely behind Wisconsin and Nebraska. All four road losses at ISU, Penn State, Nebraska and Wisconsin. 8 and 4.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Yes. KF on the road is basically an automatic loss. His whole career.
Nebraska is going to be good. My guess is Iowa will be looking up at Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Penn State and USC in the new big ten. Will be in that 7 to 11 range with Michigan State, UCLA, Purdue, and Minnesota. And anyone that doesn’t agree with me, doesn’t agree with Kirk. We aren’t shooting for being a great program. We are just iowa. That’s what I took from the press conference.

You been listening too much about the sorry excuses for losing on here. The offenses of those 3 schools will not be hurting. They have plenty of time/preparation to put together a good offense. All 3 will have a better offense than Iowa. You can count on Brian to ensure that.

The same as every year. Crappy, boring wins over bad teams. Usual crappy, boring, ugly, losses in every road game, except maybe a 9-6 road win over a real bad team. A toilet bowl game vs a 12th place SEC team, whose good players cared so much, they opted out. The KF era baby ! just one thrill after another lol
Very simple solution to your obvious disgust...quit watching them play!

Easy fix. Don't watch, and take Dr Phil with you......

Nebraska is going to be good. My guess is Iowa will be looking up at Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Penn State and USC in the new big ten. Will be in that 7 to 11 range with Michigan State, UCLA, Purdue, and Minnesota. And anyone that doesn’t agree with me, doesn’t agree with Kirk. We aren’t shooting for being a great program. We are just iowa. That’s what I took from the press conference.

How about we wait to see how Nebraska and Wisconsin actually play under their new coaches? Lots of turnover on their rosters. Maybe they work out great right away, maybe they don’t.

Love the optimism but Kirk won’t quit until he has the all-time Big 10 wins record and nobody is going to fire him.

Iowa will be the favorites to win the West next year as they will have the best defense again.

Anyone notice how the Panthers played so much better after Rhule was fired?
Wisky lost their defensive guru in Leohnard.
PU lost their offensive genius in Brohm.
I like our chances to win the West.
I agree with OP that 24 is a possible year of big change.
KF might just hang it up and all the critics will get their wish with a new coaching staff in 24.
Hopefully someone that can exceed KFs win record or the hitching will reach new levels.
Losing shootouts is still just losing.

They aren’t losing to Iowa St. They’re losing their two difference makers on each side of the ball. Campbell bet on himself and lost, they’re not going be an issue.
To be fair, there were fans on here who said we weren't losing to ISU.....or Nebraska....this past season.

That's what you get with Kirk. If everything goes right, the Hawks can beat anybody. On the flip side, since he keeps games so close, all it takes is one mistake (1 blown coverage, 1 fumble, 1 drive by the opponent) to lose a game they should have won.

It is what it is, and Kirk will never change.

The same damn question marks will continue.

OL and OC. Maybe throw in WR.

Everything else will be “strong to quite strong.”

- Gaylord Focker.

• Haha
Reactions: FatBrian4Prez
I'm going to go all in on this 23 team I believe Cade is close to elite as a quarterback as you can get he is a proven winner he took Michigan to the CFP I am concerned for limebackers though I think if we get the kid from from Virginia this defense doesn't take much of a step back from last year.So therefore i think this team will challenge if not win the big.

• Haha
I'm going to go all in on this 23 team I believe Cade is close to elite as a quarterback as you can get he is a proven winner he took Michigan to the CFP I am concerned for limebackers though I think if we get the kid from from Virginia this defense doesn't take much of a step back from last year.So therefore i think this team will challenge if not win the big.
I am excited to see what Cade can do!

The schedule is set up perfectly for the Hawks to win the West. My big concern is that Kirk/Brian continue to struggle with the offense. Another season like this past one and we can kiss any hope of the BTT game goodbye.

The OL MUST improve, and the play calling MUST be opened up at least a little bit. Averaging 17 points a game is not going to cut it. Cade has the skills.....use them!

That would be fantastic but we won't reach those lofty heights unless the OL issues are fixed.
Im going with 9 to 10 wins. I only bet on over under wins. Im hoping for it comes out at eight and a half. I will jump all in on the over. Minny toughest home game. I see 3 toss up road games, Nebby, Wisky, and ISU. PSU I consider a probable loss. They have to beat ISU to set the table. They could piss away a home game and win two out of three road toss ups. They should really win out at home and and we have usually taken care of buisness at Ames. Ive been to the last two at Ames and their crowd is nothing like Lincoln or Madison. Kirk needs to give Cade free reins of the offense and let him switch in and out of plays as he sees fit. This guy is no idiot and I love his confidence. I could be wrong which is quite possible, but this could be a special year. Schedule gets much tougher in 24.

i think KF believes Cade will lead the team to a big year and he wants BF to get credit for this, why fire his own son when he can keep him around and salvage his career with a big year ? I don’t agree with this, but that’s probably what KF is thinking.

O line has to improve a lot and KF needs to bring in home run hitters at receiver for this to have a chance at working out.

What is a crappy, boring win? Never heard of such a thing in my life

i think KF believes Cade will lead the team to a big year and he wants BF to get credit for this, why fire his own son when he can keep him around and salvage his career with a big year ? I don’t agree with this, but that’s probably what KF is thinking.

O line has to improve a lot and KF needs to bring in home run hitters at receiver for this to have a chance at working out.
This. Improvement will give Brian some credit instead of him leaving on a sour note…

• Haha
That SD St game was crappy and boring and frustrating. So much of a letdown on the expectations of what the Hawks would look like. The booing I heard pretty much proved that. However, I am glad you got your rocks off on that scintillating display of offensive prowess. You must be easily entertained.

That SD St game was crappy and boring and frustrating. So much of a letdown on the expectations of what the Hawks would look like. The booing I heard pretty much proved that. However, I am glad you got your rocks off on that scintillating display of offensive prowess. You must be easily entertained.
Whaaaa my ice cream is too cold.

Why does everybody assume that McNamara is going to be the starter next year? I have been informed by many many experts on this here message board that it takes several years for a QB to learn all the complicated calls needed to run the Ferentz offense properly.

Got the W, they were one overthrown pass away from beating Iowa. 8-5 or 9-4 next season fo sho, the schedule is weak, I mean even weaker than usual.

Love the optimism but Kirk won’t quit until he has the all-time Big 10 wins record and nobody is going to fire him.
I seriously don’t understand what’s so honorable about the B1G wins record, when you also absolutely shatter the losses record along the way. All that really means is that you coached for too long.

Purdue and Minny got the "set-up" schedules this year ... and Purdue made it work out ... with a little help from Iowa biffing against 'braska.

I don't see first-year coaching magic happening this year ... and Minnesota crapped their pants in '22 (given the set-up they had).

My guess is that the West will be a duel between Illinois and Iowa.

A lot of folks here are little more than the human equivalent of raccoons ... getting all excited about shiny things.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT