ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Team

I'd say portal for a rim protector, and if we're greedy also another guard/wing scorer.
I agree but Mulvey may grow into that role. Mulvey was a 2022 recruit until he decided to reclassify to the 2021 class. He is still really young. 6ft11 with good hops and he was a good shot blocker in high school.

edit: looked up his HS stats. RM averaged 12 rebs and 6 blocks at Albany (NY, Class A). He transferred to a New England prep school (CT, Class 3A) and averaged 12 rebs and 4 blocked shots per game. The Big Ten is a whole other ball game but he has the build and potential to be a defensive force at Center and you have to believe that is why Fran recruited him to Iowa. Needs playing time.

Last edited:
I agree that a backup 4 is going to be needed unless Rebraca can expand his offensive game

I also question where the threat to shoot in our backcourt is with the starting lineup. We either need Perkins to hit at about 37% next year, Dix to contribute heavily off the bench, Bowen to be a good shooter, or grab a 3 and D 2G in the portal

A few weeks ago, I would have said our top portal need was a 2G, who was a strong 3-point shooter. However, with the emergence of Perkins, I think the 2G is in great shape. Tony’s not a major 3-point threat, but he can score in other ways, and he’s going to eat up most of the minutes at 2G.

I’d now say that a strong rim-protector is our top need. I like Rebraca a lot, but I see the 5 as a place where we have room for improvement, especially with Ogundele and Mulvey still learning, and Owen Freeman still a year away from joining the team. The ideal transfer would be a one-year rental who is an instant starter.

The other big question is whether we will lose anyone to the transfer portal. I’m not sure that a year ago anyone saw Fredrick and Nunge both transferring. We’ve certainly learned that the promise of being a starter and/or major contributor isn’t necessarily enough to keep guys from shopping for a better opportunity. You never know who might be homesick or who might have someone whispering in their ears. People always talk about the importance of pulling guys from the portal — it can be just as important to keep the players you have from leaving via the portal.

A few weeks ago, I would have said our top portal need was a 2G, who was a strong 3-point shooter. However, with the emergence of Perkins, I think the 2G is in great shape. Tony’s not a major 3-point threat, but he can score in other ways, and he’s going to eat up most of the minutes at 2G.

I’d now say that a strong rim-protector is our top need. I like Rebraca a lot, but I see the 5 as a place where we have room for improvement, especially with Ogundele and Mulvey still learning, and Owen Freeman still a year away from joining the team. The ideal transfer would be a one-year rental who is an instant starter.

The other big question is whether we will lose anyone to the transfer portal. I’m not sure that a year ago anyone saw Fredrick and Nunge both transferring. We’ve certainly learned that the promise of being a starter and/or major contributor isn’t necessarily enough to keep guys from shopping for a better opportunity. You never know who might be homesick or who might have someone whispering in their ears. People always talk about the importance of pulling guys from the portal — it can be just as important to keep the players you have from leaving via the portal.

I agree with you but with Fran's history I bet no way he brings in anyone. He'll be fine with Josh O/Mulvey as our 5's.

What I hope is Ulis picks up his offensive game. I like the rest of his game but he needs to be a shooting threat otherwise everyone just slacks off him

Assuming Connor & Keegan do not come back.

1- Toussaint, Ulis, Bowen
2- Perkins, Sandfort, Dix
3- Patrick, Sandfort, Kris
4- Kris, Rebraca
5- Rebraca, Ogundele, Mulvey

May need to hit the portal for a forward?

I'm not up to speed on everyone... what do Bowen and Dix look like?

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Would love if Freeman could reclassify to next years class, I think we'd use him a lot.

4- Kris, Rebraca

As of RIGHT NOW, when you don't include Connor & Keegan, we have 2 scholarship available for the 2022-2023 season.

Hopefully prospects see how fun it is to play in Fran's system. A stud forward out of the transfer portal sure would be nice.

2022-2023 Roster (11 on Scholarship; 2 scholarship available):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG, Josh Dix

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

JUNIORS: 5 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

SENIORS: 2 players

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca

Notable Walk on players:

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

Luc Laketa

Carter Kingsbury

I'm not up to speed on everyone... what do Bowen and Dix look like?
Bowen looks really good according to the videos I've seen. Highly regarded PG, exceptional skills, plays under control, good motor to the rack, and good shot. He stands a reasonable shot at starting at PG next year IMO.

I've seen less video of Dix. My sense is Adam Haluska lite - not quite as athletic or shooter. Suffered a nasty injury breaking his fibula I believe. Purdue wanted him so that's good enough for me.

It wouldn't shock to see someone transfer. They just the way it is. Guys start to realize there is only a few years left and they want to play as much as they can before the real world starts. Hell, five games. Into the Big Ten season, you could have pegged Perkins as one. He wasn't shooting great and his minutes had kind of flat lined.

The great thing is that just when you start to think someone might be falling out of the rotation, they bounce back with a great game. Right now Ulis is kind of that guy.

Reactions: Lumas Etima
I have a feeling Joe T transfers.
A few weeks ago, I would have agreed with you. In fact, I think I even predicted as much on this board when he got moved out of the starting lineup.

However, with the way the season played out, it seems more likely that Joe understood why the change was made. And with the success we’ve had since, it’s hard to argue that it wasn’t the right move.

If I were to rank players who might be a threat to take a look at the portal, Toussaint would not be at the top of my list.

A few weeks ago, I would have agreed with you. In fact, I think I even predicted as much on this board when he got moved out of the starting lineup.

However, with the way the season played out, it seems more likely that Joe understood why the change was made. And with the success we’ve had since, it’s hard to argue that it wasn’t the right move.

If I were to rank players who might be a threat to take a look at the portal, Toussaint would not be at the top of my list.

I think JoeT probably likes Iowa---but it is not only that he had starting job taken away, his PT has been shrunk a lot. 10 min vs Purdue....that is not much.

I could see him liking his teammates but wanting to go to a place where he will run the show. Fran has a Freshman coming in + Ulis...it is little bit crowded...even if JoeT stays, that means Ulis might leave. That is nature of college B

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
I think Conner might concentrate on Baseball now.

Connor’s future is likely in basketball, on the coaching side if he chooses that path. Connor is no longer on the baseball team and hasn’t played since before Covid. I’m sure he’s still eligible for the MLB draft, I just don’t how far he’s fallen in that aspect with injuries and not playing.

By all accounts, Connor’s Bball IQ is off the charts and watching him these last several years as a fan, you tend to believe that. I’d think he’ll make his money in basketball. It doesn’t hurt that his dad (mom too) has plenty of connections if has any troubles on his own.

I think JoeT probably likes Iowa---but it is not only that he had starting job taken away, his PT has been shrunk a lot. 10 min vs Purdue....that is not much.

I could see him liking his teammates but wanting to go to a place where he will run the show. Fran has a Freshman coming in + Ulis...it is little bit crowded...even if JoeT stays, that means Ulis might leave. That is nature of college B

If he wants to run the show and get shots and 30 min a game, it’s going to be in the Valley or Summit League.

4- Kris, Rebraca

I just think it’s really hard not to have Sandfort as a starter. That starting 5 just doesn’t space the floor enough in this day and age. Kris is your only reliable volume 3 shooter and the 1-3 starters have never shown themselves to be enough of a threat that’s going to allow them to slash and drive. Sure, those guys take and make the occasional 3, but that’s pretty much only when they’re being given them wide open. And there’s a reason why they’re wide open

I’m assuming you have stats to back up that Joe T. struggled as a Starter?

You can't look at these things in a vacuum. The Stat that matters when Joe T was starting was wins and losses, and there weren't enough wins and too many losses. I love Joe T, and I think he has starter talent. He isn't a sure-fire-build-your-program-around guy, but can play. So for every player not named Keegan Murray or Luka Garza, it is about complimentary talents.

I love onions and I also love strawberries, but, I don't love the two together. I love strawberries more than I like peppers, but peppers pair so much better than strawberries do. Same analogy in basketball. Playing Joe T with JBo left us with 2 small guards and JBo had to play the 2 because JoeT is a much better place then a 2 because of his inconsistent shooting. The size and lack of quickness of JBo really left our back court as a defensive liability. But for this team to have the best chance to win games, it was better to keep JBo's shooting rather than Joe T's quickness.

Enter Perkins, who is much bigger, can defend bigger guards, can rebound, can handle, can shoot better than Joe T, and so him pairing with JBo really allows either to play the point and either to play the 2 depending on the match up. Perk is the best player on the team to take defending guards off the dribble and finish at the rim.

But saying that doesn't mean that Joe T doesn't have unique talents as well, as he does. That is why I think he plays so much better with Sandfort, because he can still play the 1, but Sandfort can handle the bigger guards and small forwards, and Sandfort can shoot. I think Joe T pairs really well with Perk as well for the same reasons, although without JBo on the floor you lose a court-stretcher, experience and the clutch gene. Jbo is really good at getting into the offense, with speed but not out of control, and getting good shots.

I love the fact that Joe T has a great role and is really playing well in it. And I give him all the credit in the world for taking off and running with it, and Fran for, however he did it, to get him to believe on the importance of it.

Portal dudes gonna be lining up to play here, no? Uptempo and sucessful.
Definitely. But I don’t think Fran likes or uses the portal much. He clearly appreciates and values loyalty and togetherness. Not saying it’s right/wrong but I don’t ever expect us to get a big time portal player for a # of reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT