ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Team

I wouldn’t have said this mid-season but I’d ok with Conner coming back. I truly believe he will be a hell of a coach when the opportunity presents itself.
He's coaching already. Watch the time he spends talking and pointing during TOs. He spends a lot of time talking to the refs, and not all confrontational. Of course, he's always coaching on the floor.

He may be at Iowa but he's surely graduated and could enter grad school as a graduate assistant, just to get his toe in the water.

Reactions: perryhawk
Mulvey is 245 lbs, Garza is listed at 243. He has the size and if he puts in the work, I think has a chance to be special. Even next year.

Mulvey is 245 lbs, Garza is listed at 243. He has the size and if he puts in the work, I think has a chance to be special. Even next year.
I agree he is very mobile when on the court just think Mulvey and Freeman the following year!

I think that Josh will make the jump next year. He was getting there until illness this past year, so I think he's close. He has physical talent that cannot be taught. He just needs the preparation and skills to refine his game.

Iowa ‘s one the very few schools that have a magnet. Let’s not assume Keegan goes NBA. Imagine where he’ll be next year after learning a few goodies. I know the NBA is anxious to have him now but in 2023 they’ll be salivating.
No dude. Keegan is literally on every single NBA Top 10 draft board. I don't think some of us Iowa fans quite understand it. Literally talking about minimum of $10mil a year guaranteed for years. You do not risk injury or your stock to come back and play 1 more year with Fran. Let alone Keegan turns 22 this year. Clock is ticking...aside from that he's ready now. He's stock could only go down.

Is Rebraca really 24? Isn't he a senior?

Yea unfortunately we are just in a age of bball where i'd be shocked if nobody transferred.. I could see Ulis wanting more PT at a mid major type school

Who cares about next years team? We could go 30-0, earn a 1 seed, and still lose in the 2nd round. Until we hire a coach that knows what it feels like to earn a sweet 16 birth, this team will be a joke.

Assuming Connor & Keegan do not come back.

1- Toussaint, Ulis, Bowen
2- Perkins, Sandfort, Dix
3- Patrick, Sandfort, Kris
4- Kris, Rebraca
5- Rebraca, Ogundele, Mulvey

May need to hit the portal for a forward?
We need to hit the portal for a lot more than a forward. You’re staring at a 10 win team with that lineup.

If Keegan declares for the draft he might as will drag his brother Kris with him. I know lot's of Iowa fans predict Kris will fill the shoes of Keegan next year and he very well might, but if he fails to live up to up to the standards Keegan set, he will be roosted every time Iowa loses and will be blamed for everything not going Iowa's way.
If you don't believe what I'm saying, you truly haven't been reading this board or any other Iowa message board or social media sites that follow Iowa basketball. Kris better be extremely thick skined it he stays and Keegan goes...

Last edited:
Who cares about next years team? We could go 30-0, earn a 1 seed, and still lose in the 2nd round. Until we hire a coach that knows what it feels like to earn a sweet 16 birth, this team will be a joke.
If the stars shoot like they did, it wouldn't matter who was coaching.

Guard play is inadequate and inconsistent. Ulis didn’t even see court and in my mind, unimportant to the future. The guards yesterday were 5 of 18 from field, 2of9 from 3, scored a total of 14 points, and had more turnovers than assists. 2 new guys coming in are good but will be freshman- badly need a guard in portal that can start immediately.

Reactions: Polkhawk
Sure, if the team also was focused on Richmond and not Twitter + had higher energy, they win - that’s on Fran. As a head coach earning millions of dollars, you’re responsible for ensuring your NPOY doesnt got 16+ mins without a shot as well as getting your guys up for the game.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Sure, if the team also was focused on Richmond and not Twitter + had higher energy, they win - that’s on Fran. As a head coach earning millions of dollars, you’re responsible for ensuring your NPOY doesnt got 16+ mins without a shot as well as getting your guys up for the game.
Keegan said it himself, he passed up shots because others had better opportunities. Maybe you are blaming the wrong people...

As of RIGHT NOW, when you don't include Connor & Keegan, we have 2 scholarship available for the 2022-2023 season.

Hopefully prospects see how fun it is to play in Fran's system. A stud forward out of the transfer portal sure would be nice.

2022-2023 Roster (11 on Scholarship; 2 scholarship available):

FRESHMEN: 2 players

6'3" PG Dasonte Bowen

6'5" SG, Josh Dix

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort

6'11" C Riley Mulvey

JUNIORS: 5 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele

6'4" G Tony Perkins

6'2" G Ahron Ulis

6'8" F Kris Murray

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery

SENIORS: 2 players

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca

Notable Walk on players:

SOPHOMORES: 2 players

Luc Laketa

Carter Kingsbury
You forgot to include Keegan Murray..... ;)

If he wants to run the show and get shots and 30 min a game, it’s going to be in the Valley or Summit League.

I just think it’s really hard not to have Sandfort as a starter. That starting 5 just doesn’t space the floor enough in this day and age. Kris is your only reliable volume 3 shooter and the 1-3 starters have never shown themselves to be enough of a threat that’s going to allow them to slash and drive. Sure, those guys take and make the occasional 3, but that’s pretty much only when they’re being given them wide open. And there’s a reason why they’re wide open
Agree, although I could see him playing starter minutes off the bench.

Joe is the heir apparent at point, I don’t know why he’d transfer. He has a great attitude and played well coming off the bench.

I think Dix will be healthy by fall and I’m also wondering if Luketa isn’t capable of giving us minutes. He seems athletic enough.

I think Mulvey has shown he will put in the effort to develop his body and be a rim protector. Unless Fran finds the perfect fit (Aiden Shaw) I don’t see him taking a transfer.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I think Mulvey's jump next year is the wild card. If he doesn't have it, I don't see Big O as a major contributor, and we should really look for a grad transfer who can rebound and play interior defense. Hopefully, Patrick will continue to get stronger and have the ability to play 4 or 3.

You were probably saying something similar about Fran and the B10 tournament prior to this year as well….

Exaggeration isn’t something associated with credibility.

Agree, although I could see him playing starter minutes off the bench.

Joe is the heir apparent at point, I don’t know why he’d transfer. He has a great attitude and played well coming off the bench.

I think Dix will be healthy by fall and I’m also wondering if Luketa isn’t capable of giving us minutes. He seems athletic enough.

I think Mulvey has shown he will put in the effort to develop his body and be a rim protector. Unless Fran finds the perfect fit (Aiden Shaw) I don’t see him taking a transfer.
I agree on Sandfort. He will be our 6th man/instant offense.

Some interesting lineup combinations:

Joe T
Perkins
Sandfort
PMac
Kris

Perkins
Sandfort
PMac
Kris
Mulvey

Ulis
Joe T
Perkins
Kris
Mulvey/Rebraca

Losing Keegan will hurt, but I think Iowa will be strong next season especially if Conner decides to come back. Need to add a big in the portal and maybe another G for depth. I expect Kris to make a huge jump like Keegan did. Maybe not to leading the BIG in scoring but a significant jump. Josh O might also be ready next season to step up which will help also. I think Iowa finishes in the top 4 in conference -- higher if we can add the right transfers via the portal.
Good points, but if we add another big that will be 4 bigs. That's too many methinks.

Good points, but if we add another big that will be 4 bigs. That's too many methinks.
Rebracca can move back to the 4 which is his natural position. Mulvey could still redshirt also. Neither Jelly nor Mulvey is 100 ready, but I think Jelly is the closest of the two. Bring in a true C and then Jelly can back him up. Let Mulvey redshirt. Rebracca becomes starting PF and emergency C. Kris can slide to the wing and back up Rebracca at the 4.

Fran wants Connor to come back. I hope both Keegan and Kris come back for another year to try and win it all and get Kris ready for the league but fear both will be gone to the league this year with a team drafting Keegan and either picking up Kris in the second round or as a post draft signing so they both player together as the potential is off the charts with Kris based upon what you see with Keegan.

Rebracca can move back to the 4 which is his natural position. Mulvey could still redshirt also. Neither Jelly nor Mulvey is 100 ready, but I think Jelly is the closest of the two. Bring in a true C and then Jelly can back him up. Let Mulvey redshirt. Rebracca becomes starting PF and emergency C. Kris can slide to the wing and back up Rebracca at the 4.
If we bring in a starting center next year then I don't want to see Rebraca starting as well.

Next year is probably a 10 seed on paper, which maybe isn't a bad thing. Come into the tourney under the radar and nothing to lose .. maybe win the 10 v 7 round then who knows...

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
I agree on Sandfort. He will be our 6th man/instant offense.

Some interesting lineup combinations:

Joe T
Perkins
Sandfort
PMac
Kris

Perkins
Sandfort
PMac
Kris
Mulvey

Ulis
Joe T
Perkins
Kris
Mulvey/Rebraca
Do we think Perkins can play PG? (This is the second time I have seen this suggestion on this board in the past couple days.) I have always seen him as a driving/defending 2G (or maybe an undersized 3).

Do we think Perkins can play PG? (This is the second time I have seen this suggestion on this board in the past couple days.) I have always seen him as a driving/defending 2G (or maybe an undersized 3).
Doesn't Bowen have the starting spot locked up? ( /sarcasm)

Yes, Iowa needs more of Connors coaching ability on the floor with his 0 points in 23 minutes. Such a hard player to guard!
I'd rather see him on the bench as Iowa's video coordinator. It's time for him to start his career in coaching and leave the game to younger and more athletic players. I've seen enough of his unique and highly unreliable shooting form for the last 5 years....

And any Iowa fans that thinks Fran is capable of grabbing a stud player off of the portal haven't paid attention to Fran's prior gets. Not encouraging at all. Evelyn and Rebraca were/are nice players but nothing to raise the bar. Do want to rock the boat you know....

Last edited:
Yeah, not saying he is going to start at PG but he is servicable with guys like Sandfort and Kris, who are decent ball handlers. If anything, he can take his man off the dribble and draw attention, which will open up space for shooters.

Doesn't Bowen have the starting spot locked up? ( /sarcasm)
Ulis: Has to get more comfortable shooting the ball, its an adventure right now.

Joe T: My gawd, every play does not need to be a level 10 on the difficulty scale, he needs to be more EFFICIENT, and has plenty of quickness, but is just too herky jerky. He needs to strengthen his 3 point shooting and find a way to convert around the bucket without windmilling around like a gymnast.

Ulis: Has to get more comfortable shooting the ball, its an adventure right now.

Joe T: My gawd, every play does not need to be a level 10 on the difficulty scale, he needs to be more EFFICIENT, and has plenty of quickness, but is just too herky jerky. He needs to strengthen his 3 point shooting and find a way to convert around the bucket without windmilling around like a gymnast.
The highlighted text made me LOL! It's true, though, and one of the reasons that he might get passed up by Ahron. I think Ahron is a damn good defender and a good rebounder for a guard. Once he gets a little more experience and the game slows down a little more for him on the offensive end, I think he'll do better.

The highlighted text made me LOL! It's true, though, and one of the reasons that he might get passed up by Ahron. I think Ahron is a damn good defender and a good rebounder for a guard. Once he gets a little more experience and the game slows down a little more for him on the offensive end, I think he'll do better.
Yeah, Ulis is less flashy for sure, but he tends to be consistent and can rebound. I like having both him and Joe T, just gives us some flexibility. I think Joe will start but could see Ulis logging more minutes/finish a fair amount of games. If Bowen comes on strong and grabs a bunch of minutes, i will be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT