ADVERTISEMENT

NextDoor - Howdy Crazy Neighbor!

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
So, we’ve got a bunch of ninnies and straight up loons on this board for sure, but holy shit. NextDoor is chock full of them. I mean, half of HROT’s personalities are made up (hopefully) but these people are all theoretically real and live close to you!

Ive just started actually paying a little bit of attention and can’t believe the crazy that goes on over there.

Gotta be honest was expecting this thread to go in a bit of a different direction.

29593658.jpg

Neighborhood social media hangout where people incessantly bitch about everything. The only thing I think it is useful for is lost pets.

I signed up forever ago but didn’t use it. Saw they’re going public and was surprised they got that big. Spent a bit of time over there today to see what it’s all about and it’s cuckoo town!

Reactions: Sharky1203
I audibly chortled thinking about this in its execution…

Can you imagine getting shots of neighbors around the neighborhood of everybody slugging around and then putting up a rank ‘em between the “someone knocked over my garden gnome” and “is anyone else’s <insert political yard sign here> missing?” Holy shit, it would be glorious. Dropping a legit shit bomb in the middle of all the trivial bitching would be amazing.

The Ring app is getting just as bad. It used to just be people posting video of some rando walking up to their front door at night, but now it's just idiots posting like they're on NextDoor. Every day for 2 weeks before and a week after the 4th my phone would alert me that someone on Ring had heard Gunshots!!!!11!!!! Then a bunch of people would mock them for starting a thread about fireworks a few days before the fourth. Then it would happen again.

Reactions: Hawki97
Neighborhood social media hangout where people incessantly bitch about everything. The only thing I think it is useful for is lost pets.
I live out in the country, near the Mt Weather government facility. The topics that are posted every day include:
1. Black helicopters overhead
2. People shooting guns out on their own property
3. Loose cows/ horses
4. What is this bug?
5. Did anyone get my Amazon delivery by mistake?

So, we’ve got a bunch of ninnies and straight up loons on this board for sure, but holy shit. NextDoor is chock full of them. I mean, half of HROT’s personalities are made up (hopefully) but these people are all theoretically real and live close to you!

Ive just started actually paying a little bit of attention and can’t believe the crazy that goes on over there.
I can't believe how many lost dogs and cats are out in the world. Put some collars and put up a damn fence to keep fluffy from getting out.

The last one I got was a picture captioned "I'm new just moved from up north - what is this bug"? It was a silverfish.
There are photos of deer in yards eating flowers. " I saw a suspicious man " Etc etc
Then the best one..".what kind of snake is this?" 😳

There's a guy around my neighborhood that is VERY concerned about a fox he's been seeing.

I can't believe how many lost dogs and cats are out in the world. Put some collars and put up a damn fence to keep fluffy from getting out.

No kidding! This site has been a bit of a black hole for me the last 24 hours. The best part on the missing pet posts are the comments from the birders on every missing cat whining about how some speckled sparrow or some other pointless bird is impacted by domestic cats. Talk about "who gives a shit" - well, besides the weird bird people. It's a BIG DEAL!

Last edited:

I've scored about $1500 in power tools (table saw, power sander, drill press, miter saw, hand/circular saw, router & table) for ~$200 on there.

Lots of people are often giving things away for free around here. If there's something I need, that's one of the places I'll check before shopping for something 'new'.

Exercise equipment often goes for next to nothing, I've noticed.

I've scored about $1500 in power tools (table saw, power sander, drill press, miter saw, hand/circular saw, router & table) for ~$200 on there.

Lots of people are often giving things away for free around here. If there's something I need, that's one of the places I'll check before shopping for something 'new'.

I was able to grab about 2 yards of mulch for free off of Next Door. Other than that it's mostly dogs shitting in people's yards

Okay, add free/discounted local stuff in the plus column.

The last one I got was a picture captioned "I'm new just moved from up north - what is this bug"? It was a silverfish.
There are photos of deer in yards eating flowers. " I saw a suspicious man " Etc etc
Then the best one..".what kind of snake is this?" 😳
Everyday we get the snake question. It’s 9 times out of 10 a black racer or a oak snake. I want to respond, it’s the same phuqing snake the 20 people have asked about this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT