ADVERTISEMENT

****NFL Black Monday****

Ryan Pace deserved to be fired today. He had 48-65
record as GM of the Bears. He made some huge mistakes.
He drafted Trubisky and hired Matt Nagy as head coach.
He wasted some big money by signing free agents,
Mike Glennon for $18 million and Andy Dalton for $10
million. Pace never had a clue on evaluating talent.

Don't forget they had like $20 million in Foles to be 3rd string QB

Deserved to be fired last year but better late than never I guess. Shefter said he thought they were leaning towards keeping him this morning, so glad he was wrong

Reactions: torbee
Deserved to be fired last year but better late than never I guess. Shefter said he thought they were leaning towards keeping him this morning, so glad he was wrong

And this is the problem with modern sports journalism. Such a rush to be first and have the scoop that being right just does not matter at all.

I saw multiple reports yesterday that the bears were not only going to keep, but promote, Pace. Whoops. But, hey someone unnamed source told them it and they just ran with it so its no big deal. I really wish companies and readers would hold these reporters accountable and we'd stop with the blind sourcing for everything. Some of it is really silly to like when a guy's knee bends the wrong way on TV and we can all see it. "sources say Player X has a serious injury."

With Spielman and Zimmer gone, I hope Cousins goes next. He is a good qb, but not worth 40 million when you have a cap. He is a .500 quarterback. He would put up nice stats, but only give you 7. 8, or 9 wins. Spielman kept the Vikings in purgatory. He also drafted Ponder. I want a SuperBowl championship. Just like I want a Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl win for the Hawkeyes.

With Spielman and Zimmer gone, I hope Cousins goes next. He is a good qb, but not worth 40 million when you have a cap. He is a .500 quarterback. He would put up nice stats, but only give you 7. 8, or 9 wins. Spielman kept the Vikings in purgatory. He also drafted Ponder. I want a SuperBowl championship. Just like I want a Big Ten title and a Rose Bowl win for the Hawkeyes.

Cousins will probably restructure to lower his cap number and free up money to improve the rest of the team. He's going to be a $45 million cap hit in 2022. He stated he wants to finish his career in Minnesota. I think he can be serviceable with the right team around him to make a playoff run.

They don't lose a lot in free agency. Barr will probably be back as it would be $9 million in dead money if they void his deal or trade him and he won't bring much back in return. Sheldon Richardson played ok and will be cheap to keep around. They're really only losing Peterson, Woods, Hill, Joseph, Conklin, and Alexander in terms of contributors.

I doubt Peterson comes back as he signed because of Zimmer. Woods played ok and is still just 27, so he may be one guy they retain pending the coaching hires. Hill is a good swing guy off the bench but likely looking to get younger. Conklin probably earned himself some money and with Irv coming back, doubt they push to resign him. Alexander was a Zimmer guy, so likely not back.

Holes for next year at RG, C, CB, and S. Probably will be looking at an additional player at DE. This won't be a big rebuild if Cousins restructures and frees up $20+ million in cap space. I would prefer they keep him around for another 2-3 years while they find a young replacement.

Would love to see them sign James Daniels if he isn't resigned by the Bears.

The Vikings just took two big steps in the right direction. Spielman is a bum. His four (yes, 4) third round picks played a total of 90 snaps from scrimmage this season. That is a mind-bogglingly small number considering the injuries, Covid losses, and lack of depth this team had. A true indictment of Spielman’s ability to evaluate talent. For every Jefferson he’s drafted 5 Christian Ponders and LaQuon Treadwells.

But how can you look at Mike Glennon and not think of the natural gift he has over QBs like Mayfield, Murray and Wilson.

Mike-Glennon-Neck-e1506701448538.jpg

But how can you look at Mike Glennon and not think of the natural gift he has over QBs like Mayfield, Murray and Wilson.

At least the Bears moved on from Glennon. The Giants just had him starting a game a week ago against Chicago at Soldier Field. Proof there are a few other franchises in the NFL that are even more of a train wreck than the Bears.

The Vikings just took two big steps in the right direction. Spielman is a bum. His four (yes, 4) third round picks played a total of 90 snaps from scrimmage this season. That is a mind-bogglingly small number considering the injuries, Covid losses, and lack of depth this team had. A true indictment of Spielman’s ability to evaluate talent. For every Jefferson he’s drafted 5 Christian Ponders and LaQuon Treadwells.

Too be fair, I’d draft Ponder because of his wife and too be fair, Treadwell was a beast at Ole Miss.

Cousins will probably restructure to lower his cap number and free up money to improve the rest of the team. He's going to be a $45 million cap hit in 2022. He stated he wants to finish his career in Minnesota. I think he can be serviceable with the right team around him to make a playoff run.

They don't lose a lot in free agency. Barr will probably be back as it would be $9 million in dead money if they void his deal or trade him and he won't bring much back in return. Sheldon Richardson played ok and will be cheap to keep around. They're really only losing Peterson, Woods, Hill, Joseph, Conklin, and Alexander in terms of contributors.

I doubt Peterson comes back as he signed because of Zimmer. Woods played ok and is still just 27, so he may be one guy they retain pending the coaching hires. Hill is a good swing guy off the bench but likely looking to get younger. Conklin probably earned himself some money and with Irv coming back, doubt they push to resign him. Alexander was a Zimmer guy, so likely not back.

Holes for next year at RG, C, CB, and S. Probably will be looking at an additional player at DE. This won't be a big rebuild if Cousins restructures and frees up $20+ million in cap space. I would prefer they keep him around for another 2-3 years while they find a young replacement.

Would love to see them sign James Daniels if he isn't resigned by the Bears.
Barr is an UFA. He played under a one year deal this year. Woods was absolutely terrible in my opinion. Restructuring Cousins mean extending him. Not sure that is what they need to do to move on. I'd like to see them sign a couple OL free agents. Bradbury and Udoh need to be replaced.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
You can't restructure Cousins contract unless you add years to it. He's locked in at $45M.

You can't restructure Cousins contract unless you add years to it. He's locked in at $45M.
Yes, but what other option to they have but to restructure and extend? This year's quarterback draft is terrible. Aside from another castoff, they are going to be looking at limited options the next 2-3 years for NFL ready starter. There is still a window to win now and with the right coach and improved defense, they are a playoff team with Cousins. They were literally 5 plays away from being a 13 win team this year.

Barr will probably be back as it would be $9 million in dead money if they void his deal or trade him and he won't bring much back in return.
I am not sure how that works-- He is an UFA in 2022, but they created dummy years to his signing bonus paying him half of the $9.9M in 2022 and 2023. Vikings are on the hook for that regardless, but if he signs elsewhere do they owe the $9.9M in 2022 or is only half of that dead money?

Barr is an UFA. He played under a one year deal this year. Woods was absolutely terrible in my opinion. Restructuring Cousins mean extending him. Not sure that is what they need to do to move on. I'd like to see them sign a couple OL free agents. Bradbury and Udoh need to be replaced.

I read the contract details wrong. I thought he had team/player option years, but they were already voided and dead money going forward.

Too be fair, I’d draft Ponder because of his wife and too be fair, Treadwell was a beast at Ole Miss.
Very rarely do I care enough about who my teams get as players as I am more of a build-them-up kind of guy as opposed to "recruit/buy" your way into success. Both compliment each other and are all part of an intricate process. Even if you get a questionable recruit or signing, I'll typically say, okay let's wait and see what the staff can do with this guy. If it doesn't work out, so be it.

But I distinctly remember how I felt the first two times where I was like, "ehhhh, yeah that's a yellow flag for me fellas............" with the Vikings.

And that was when they drafted Christian Ponder....and when they got rid of 3 QBs to make way for Kirk Cousins.

Ponder I wasn't as familiar with as a prospect, even though I was aware of what he'd done at FSU. But something about it just felt......."ehhhhh I don't know." and I wasn't alone on the selection.

But with Cousins, I was kinda surprised to find that I was in the minority of fans that bordered on absolutely hating the move to get rid of Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater, and Case Keenum who just led the team to the NFC Championship game........for what I always thought was an average QB in Kirk Cousins.

And then I had to hear all through the offseason, "oh this (above all the other issues the Vikings had that everyone avoided talking about) is the final move the Vikings needed to complete their push for a Super Bowl!!!".

Me:

Giants - Probably will be fired
Chargers- should be fired for being a moron!
Seattle - Could retire or move on
Jags- Open
Raiders- probably open barring a run
Cleveland - Could open up
Broncos - Open
Bears- Open
Dolphins - Open
Vikings - Open
Right now anyways, the Vikings have the best opening/ready-made roster.

That doesn't mean they'll get the best coaching candidate out there, though......

I hope Minnesota gives Cousins a lifetime contract.

The dude is the master at looking like a Top 5 NFL quarterback in several games then absolutely shitting the bed anytime it actually matters. As a fan of a rival team, I'm all for that. Keep it up! Skol!
Rodgers is gonna join Favre in Minnesota.

Why?

Because I can't truly be happy as a Vikings fan and that would be the most begrudging thing possible that could still realistically happen for the Vikings in the near future, so naturally it can't not happen.

But at least it'll make Packer fans pissy, so I'll deal with it...... :cool:

Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
Barr is gone. He can't stay healthy anymore and was very loyal to Zimmer. If Cousins stays, he has to restructure his contract a great deal. I don't feel the new gm and head coach are going to hinge their careers on Cousins, however. The only problems is this is a weak QB class in the draft and I have no idea what Mond brings.

In the reports I have listened to Flores is a candidate for the Vikings. Winning 7 games in a row at Miami is impressive.

Right now anyways, the Vikings have the best opening/ready-made roster.

That doesn't mean they'll get the best coaching candidate out there, though......
Jags/dolphis are both better.

Jags -- Number one pick, treveor lawrence. Ton of cap space.

Dolphins - 9-8 team, Florida, ton of cap space.

Vikings- no QB of the future, over the cap so your "Ready-made" roster will be gutted

Remember coaches, at least the top tier, usually want either a team like TB to take over or one that is at the bottom so they can build it with the guys they want. Vikings are kinda in the middle. Okish, not great, but not bottomed out. No young QB and no money to spend to get your guys in it.

Jags/dolphis are both better.

Jags -- Number one pick, treveor lawrence. Ton of cap space.

Dolphins - 9-8 team, Florida, ton of cap space.

Vikings- no QB of the future, over the cap so your "Ready-made" roster will be gutted

Remember coaches, at least the top tier, usually want either a team like TB to take over or one that is at the bottom so they can build it with the guys they want. Vikings are kinda in the middle. Okish, not great, but not bottomed out. No young QB and no money to spend to get your guys in it.
Vikings > Dolphins > Jaguars

Deal with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Jan Itor

A lot of people forget the NC State coach ran off Russel Wilson to Wisconsin because they thought Mike was better. Whoops.

ADVERTISEMENT