ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft

Here is just one mock draft

Nixon - 2nd
Gholston - 5th
ISM- 5th
Jackson - 6th

I think that seems in the ballpark. I think Nixon will be high 2nd (they have him at end) and Brandon Smith could sneak in with his pro day measurables.

Thoughts?

Nixon - 2nd
Gholston - 5th
ISM- 5th
Jackson - 6th

I think that seems in the ballpark. I think Nixon will be high 2nd (they have him at end) and Brandon Smith could sneak in with his pro day measurables.

Thoughts?
Seems realistic

Reactions: BirdistheWord

Nixon - 2nd
Gholston - 5th
ISM- 5th
Jackson - 6th

Thoughts?
I so badly want to see Brandon Smith sign on with someone. Great size w/ sticky hands.

Obviously rootin' for both guys - our staff needs the NFL pitch for their offensive recruitment game! Considering our generally-fantastic defense, get a couple guys out there making plays and Iowa's program could quickly take 'that next step.'

He’s a vegan and that has NOTHING to do with his “decline”. You should really educate yourself before you spout out ignorance. BTW this is one dudes opinion not like it’s set in stone!
Jackson's is in draft decline in all mock drafts, period; personally, I don't care what he eats. You, however, can eat me raw.

The odd thing about Jackson is that he was a bit of a rough OT prospect from the outset ... however, he had pretty good athletic upside. Thus, he's the type of guy who typically develops favorably for the Hawks.

However, for whatever reason ... there were still issues of consistency in his game ... where he'd be slow to recognize things from the defender ... and he'd get beat. A really strange thing to see from a guy who was a 4 year starter. However, some guys DO seem to plateau sometimes - for whatever reason. My guess is that some guys just have a harder time from others learning how to detail things from tape ... and use tape to improve every part of their game.

Reactions: kceasthawk
If that draft is close to accurate, I am thinking that Neimann, Heflin, Beyer, Smith and Banwart would be high priority UDFA for several teams out there.

I can’t help but think Beyer gets drafted by someone. He has speed, decent hands and he is a TE from TE U.

The odd thing about Jackson is that he was a bit of a rough OT prospect from the outset ... however, he had pretty good athletic upside. Thus, he's the type of guy who typically develops favorably for the Hawks.

However, for whatever reason ... there were still issues of consistency in his game ... where he'd be slow to recognize things from the defender ... and he'd get beat. A really strange thing to see from a guy who was a 4 year starter. However, some guys DO seem to plateau sometimes - for whatever reason. My guess is that some guys just have a harder time from others learning how to detail things from tape ... and use tape to improve every part of their game.

He is a very good run blocker. Pretty average at best in pass pro. I rewatched the Minnesota game over the weekend. There was a play where their end took an inside release and Alaric didn't even lay a hand on him. The guy blew Petras up. It was lucky it wasn't a turnover and that Petras didn't get hurt.

Reactions: ghostOfHomer777
Did they have them taking another QB in Round One? ;)
Another backup TE that could have been had in R7 or UDFA. I think it had some LB from Mizzou. I am not fond of taking a LB in R1 unless they are game changing, but I doubt any game changing LB will be at Mizzou.

Here is the one I saw....

29 Rondale Moore WR Purdue
62 Daviyon Nixon DT Iowa
92 Jamin Davis LB Kentucky
135 Spencer Brown T Northern Iowa
142 Josh Myers C Ohio State
174 Jonathon Cooper EDGE Ohio State
178 Reed Blankenship S Middle Tennessee
215 Shemar Jean-Charles CB Appalachian State
221 Pooka Williams Jr. HB Kansas
254 Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR Iowa

Reactions: just_somebody

Yeah, hard to pinpoint but he could thrive as a Guard.

This one was more optimistic for Nixon (late 1st) and Jackson (early 4th). Additionally this had Beyer in the 5th but no sign of ISM or Gholston.

Feels like one of those years that the hawks are really missing the combine. Pro days are great, but not the same for comparative factors.

He is a very good run blocker. Pretty average at best in pass pro. I rewatched the Minnesota game over the weekend. There was a play where their end took an inside release and Alaric didn't even lay a hand on him. The guy blew Petras up. It was lucky it wasn't a turnover and that Petras didn't get hurt.
Yeah ... maybe working with a little less space ... he might be a little more effective. But then the question might be how well he can anchor. Some of those DTs can bring one hell of a bull-rush. That's the caveat of a taller OT type body against a beefy DT who plays with a lot of "natural" leverage.

Nixon - 2nd
Gholston - 5th
ISM- 5th
Jackson - 6th

Thoughts?

FWIW....

I respect Kiper, but Nixon in the 3rd round is Nutso. If he goes later than 2nd round, I will change my profile pic to the Kiper-Doo!

melkiperhair_crop_exact.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Franisdaman

Nixon - 2nd
Gholston - 5th
ISM- 5th
Jackson - 6th

Thoughts?

Nixon - 2nd
Gholston - 5th
ISM- 5th
Jackson - 6th

Thoughts?
I think Nixon will move up based on workouts because they guy is an athletic freak.

Nixon - 2nd
Gholston - 5th
ISM- 5th
Jackson - 6th

Thoughts?

BirdsOfFire? Nixon with a big combine could slip into the first. Big combine would move any of those guys up a round or two. (say, ISM runs some blistering 4.32 40, you could see him at the top of the third or something)

BirdsOfFire? Nixon with a big combine could slip into the first. Big combine would move any of those guys up a round or two. (say, ISM runs some blistering 4.32 40, you could see him at the top of the third or something)

I agree with you on Nixon. His floor is late 2nd and ceiling mid 1st round, with explosive combine. I just dont see anyone else with exception of ISM really able to move up more than say one round. Hell, George Kittle blew up the combine and went 5th round.

Nixon in the third round? Are you kidding me? Some team will get an absolute steal if that’s the case...sort of like Desmond King.
I wonder if his fingers are too short, or maybe his ear length is wrong to play Dtackle? Sometimes the NFL needs to get out of its own way...

With all the combine talk got me thinking about the success Iowa has had under KF when it comes to advancing players to the next level. Pro scouts and coaches have said over the last couple decades that Iowa guys come into the combine, pro days and eventually camps physically and mentally ready for the professional level. For the last 20 +\- yrs, the Iowa pro day has consistently been one of the most attended in college football even though the rosters have often begun with 2-3 star talent. Iowa has also been a mainstay on the top ten list of rostered players in the nfl.
KF deserves most of the credit but some have said Coach Doyle was a major factor of that success.
Like him or not, the program he implemented at Iowa in preparing the players for the next level was proven to be very successful.
I do have confidence in the leadership of RB. He has been a part of the program for a number of years and must believe in the foundation that built the sustained success.
It is however going to be an interesting watch over the next few years to see how the players absorb the training and preparation under new leadership and if the levels of professional success maintains, advances or decreases.

ADVERTISEMENT