ADVERTISEMENT

NFL on ESPN tweeted out this Reggie Roby gem tonight...

Cincinnati was 8-8 that year. One game out of the playoffs and the same record as the Oilers.

serious-cat.jpg

Two things. In college i umpired several of his games that he pitched back then. He was a man among boys. Secondly he played against my brother in law in football. my brother in law was a good high school kicker but Reggie blew him away distance wise when place kicking. He had a brother that was an excellent athlete as well. Waterloo had many good high school athletes from the 60s through the early 80s.

I graduated from Cedar Rapids Washington a long time ago. I once asked my baseball coach who hit the longest home run that he’d ever seen. He immediate said Reggie Roby. At Wash. Anyone who knows Washington’s field appreciates it. It’s scenic and somewhat lopsided. There isn’t another varsity field quite like it. There’s a house in right center field with a pool in the back yard. Reggie homered against Wash when he played for East High and the ball not only cleared the pool, it cleared the entire house. My coach saw it all happen. I love stories like that. Reggie was a special dude.

Reggie's punts were majestic to say the least. Never seen anyone like him since. I remember just how high they got, over the top of the stadium at times.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Was thinking about it, and I’m pretty sure I stood at the plate with him on the mound a few times. Maybe someone can confirm he played for the Tigers/ Fred Hahn? (Optimist league in 70s)

I graduated from Cedar Rapids Washington a long time ago. I once asked my baseball coach who hit the longest home run that he’d ever seen. He immediate said Reggie Roby. At Wash. Anyone who knows Washington’s field appreciates it. It’s scenic and somewhat lopsided. There isn’t another varsity field quite like it. There’s a house in right center field with a pool in the back yard. Reggie homered against Wash when he played for East High and the ball not only cleared the pool, it cleared the entire house. My coach saw it all happen. I love stories like that. Reggie was a special dude.

Do I remember correctly that there used to be a tree in center field that was in play?

Do I remember correctly that there used to be a tree in center field that was in play?

I’ve never heard of that, but I wouldn’t doubt it. A wealthy parent paid to have a permanent outfield fence installed my freshman year. Before that the fence was snow barrier lol

I went to Waterloo West but use to go the the East games just to watch Reggie. He used to kick extra points over the goal post, across the street and into the back yard of the house next to Sloan Wallace Stadium.
I remember him putting one through the window of the house across the street

My dad said something about the punts being so high in HS that returners would lose the ball as it cleared, and returned down through, the lights.

Last edited:
Reggie's punts were majestic to say the least. Never seen anyone like him since. I remember just how high they got, over the top of the stadium at times.

Reggie had those punts that almost touched the clouds and could travel fifty yards downfield. In 1981 I believe his average was 49.8.

He and Andre Tippett were our best defensive players that year. I still remember the Iowa crowd cheering when he jogged onto the field to punt- "Reggie! Reggie! Reggie!" We knew he was going to put the opponents deep into their own territory. His punts were majestic.

Since then I've never heard of a home crowd chanting the punter's name when he goes onto the field.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Ss incredible as RR was, didn't Fry have a pooch kicker for short kicks that resulted in Reggie having a big time average?

Ss incredible as RR was, didn't Fry have a pooch kicker for short kicks that resulted in Reggie having a big time average?

Yes. I believe PK Tom NIchol did some of the short punts. But it doesn't diminish Roby's numbers. They guy had an amazing leg...all the stuff you're reading above is true.
On a side note, I almost got into it with Nichol once...purely by accident. He and his girlfriend did laundry at a place across from our house. I started taking her stuff (including undies) out of the dryer after it sat there for 10 minutes while there were outside. That didn't go over well with him.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT