ADVERTISEMENT

NFL OT system is moronic.

Best illustrated when both teams are scoring on every possession late in regulation,
but only one is given a chance in OT. No other sport has a system so convoluted.

They might as well flip a coin instead of playing the game. That would be just as fair.

one idea: start by giving each team one possession. if the game is tied after that, then the next team to score wins

Best illustrated when both teams are scoring on every possession late in regulation,
but only one is given a chance in OT. No other sport has a system so convoluted.

They might as well flip a coin instead of playing the game. That would be just as fair.
But they fixed it a few years ago, remember?

Why not just play another quarter or 10 min? NFL and college overthink it
While that makes sense and seems fairer the OT rules, and many other rules are largely written by the networks and then adopted by the various sports. The networks need a reliable schedule so Octogenarian Democrats can watch 60 Minutes on schedule.

It was probably designed for player safety and not playing too long. They could revisit the rules in playoff games, and it would probably be more fair.
I can live with the current rules for the regular season, as I totally understand the grind on players and safety angles. In the playoffs though? Just go. Either equal possessions, each team gets at least 1 or play a full, regular quarter followed by sudden death. I’m in on any of the three over what we saw tonight.

I don’t mind it. People are just mad because the game was so good and it ended.
college is dumb. NFL is fine to me.

not trying to sound snarky but they’re so concerned with player safety they added a 17th game. Yeah, I know: $$$$$$$$

This weekend really shows why the NFL is the most popular sport. I don't recall the quarterfinals ever all ending in walk off wins. And the salary cap gives every team a chance. So, why @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset 's Vikings have yet to win a Super Bowl in their 62 year existence is beyond me. ;)

In the Final 4, we have two 10-7 teams and two 12-5 teams. Talk about parity.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Yes, set a time limit- 10 minute qt. sounds good. Play it out as both teams should be able to get legit possessions as well as still incorporating special teams into the mix.

Tied at the end of the session during the regular season, and it is a tie. Playoffs, keep going until the next score.

FJ4RSKRWYAc9E4Z

This happened to the Chiefs 3 years ago vs the Patriots/Tom Brady and Mike DeCourcy said the OT rules were messed up then.

3 years later, Mike nails it. Again.

"Imagine if baseball were to decide a League Championship Series game that progressed to extra innings by awarding a spot in the World Series to a team that scored a run in the top half of the 10th — without allowing the team in the field a turn at bat."

The full story:

Reactions: kceasthawk
It's just sports. Just like if your team loses by a bad ref. You should have played better before a coin toss decides the game???

I agree with the idea of changing the OT format. But until it does change it's what we have. KC did nothing wrong by going down and scoring. I also wish they'd change the college OT rules. At least make them have to go 20 yards before they're in FG range.

Give each team one possession in OT starting at midfield. If the game is still tied after that go to two point conversions until someone wins.

ADVERTISEMENT