ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Players on the 2018 Roster

Hawk94Mn

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2017
With the plethora of Hawkeyes playing last night, I thought it would be interesting to go through the current crop of Iowa players and discuss their NFL potential. I’ll break it into Locks and Camp Invites

Locks: Fant, Hock, Stanley, Wirfs, Alaric, Epenesa, A Nelson, Brents, Hankins, Hooker, Stone, Niemann

From this group I realize it’s rather silly to project Hankins, Stone, and Brents. But I have a feeling they will be first or second team all big ten before there time is done. Brent’s has the prototypical NFL body and Geno is gigantic for a strong safety and shown great instincts, closing ability, and ball skills. Hankins is the least physically impressive but has long arms. Brent’s will likely be a 4 year starter in one of the best DB rooms in the country. Hankins a 3 year starter, and Stone a proverbial 3 year starter with us likely sticking with a 4-2-5 look for 5 of our last 6 games. I believe Stone will be an all big ten player next year.

Hooker, I believe, is our best safety in years. Moves extremely well in space and has shown versatility in his ability to play multiple positions including lining up as a corner and playing man to man.

Niemann moves incredibley well for a tall guy and will grade out really well with his speed. He also has long arms and has great bloodlines. I believe he is our most talented LB on the team and might have a shot at manning the middle next year. Especially in our 4-2-5 look.

Wirfs and Alaric have the opportunity to both be 4 year starters at tackle, it would be truly shocking to me if either goes undrafted.

Stanley is on his way to breaking a lot of records at Iowa and is developing a very sound pocket presence, which many perceived as his only glaring weakness. He will be at worst a 3rd round pick with a potential for much higher.

Fant has an opportunity to be a first rounder regardless of his blocking deficiencies. Evan Engram and Zac Ertz hardly ever line up as a true tightend but are both highly productive offensive playmakers, Fant will be the same.

Hock might not test as well, but with the success of Kittle and the ability he has demonstrated, I don’t see how he falls outside the top 4 rounds. Whether it’s in 2020 or 2021.

I believe Epenesa will stay all 4 years and be a first round draft pick. He will be an elite level athlete will well rounded technical skills

A Nelson is a slightly less athletic Epenesa with a great motor. Is great in run support and will likely be at the top of the big ten in sacks 3 years in a row. I can’t see him going undrafted, although, he may fall to the 5th or 6th round.

Camp invites:

Hesse - tough to make a team as a tweener, especially when special teams don’t fit your body mold as well as true LB

Render: will get a look because of the Iowa pedigree, probably not athletic enough to stick at center but could carve out a role at guard

Reynolds - Tobin encarnated?

Ikm, Toren, Sargent - arguably the hardest position to make it in the NFL. None of them possess exceptional qualities in a given area. Toren has the best chance to stick with his size, similar to LD.

ISM, B Smith, Easely - ISM could survive as a return man but again skilled positions in the NFL are so tough to break into. B Smith for the same reasons as Toren but if Marvin Mcnutt could barely touch a roster I doubt any of these guys have longevity in the league.

Lattimore, Reiff, Nelson, Brincks - I think Reiff might have the best shot. Seems to be the most explosive and long armed. Lattimore could potentially make a name for himself with a stellar senior campaign, he seems to have to physical tools to do so. Matt Nelson is a technical monster but I assume he realizes his own limitations and medical school isn’t too bad of a second option. Brincks, hell, I wouldn’t count him out.

Gholston - I seriously considered adding him to the lock section, the guy moves extremely well, long arms, and plays with a lot of intensity. But will be in the shadow of Epensa and have to compete with Waggoner and Simon in his senior year.

Gervase - greenwood clone. Gets unduly beat on a lot here, has been stellar in run support and has always been an exceptional cover safety. Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see him make a roster.

Beyer: I believe will be A fringe draft pick. I think he takes over the role of Noah next year and gets 20-25 snaps a game with a lot of deep looks going his way. A really exceptional athlete.

Young guys will Uber potential: Linderbaum, Nixon, Petras, Waggoner, McDonald

I’m sure some of my picks will be critiqued and I welcome it, anyone I missed or misplaced in your opinion?

Reactions: funnyfletcher
The only locks imo are fant and epenesa.. I still think the others you mentioned have a good shot at making the nfl, but it is very difficult. The NFL cares more about measurables than efficiency in college. Fant and epenesa have the measurables and are locks imo. The other guys still have a good shot but will have to prove it in camp/combine performances. NFL teams don't watch these guys the same way we do and don't give the benefit of the doubt. The rest of these guys will have to prove themselves in the NFL visits before draft and combine.
I should mention that Stanley also has the measurables but qb is the hardest position to make it in the NFL so i would not say lock
Edit to say wirfs and Jackson could also be considered locks, but tackle is another tough position to make nfl and idk if those guys could transition to guard as a backup

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT