ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Nick Niemann has unbelievable potential

Apr 8, 2003
According to his coach, Joe Ryan. Here is Luke's article with Ryan's thoughts.

rvls.co/Niemann16

---

Q: What type of player has he been for you?

RYAN: I think he is a kid that has unbelievable potential at this point. He is now realizing what type of athlete he is. He is still pretty raw but when gets the ball he is really special. He still has things he can work on but as he continues to work I'm sure he'll put it all together.

Q: What are his main strengths now?

RYAN: I would say his athleticism for his size. You are not always going to have a 6-3, 215 pounder that runs a 4.5. He can put his hand on the ground or rush the quarterback. We could also spread him out as a receiver.

Q: What areas is he working to improve on?

RYAN: I think like anyone else he wants to get bigger and stronger. He knows he is nowhere near a final product.

Q: Where does the Iowa staff plan to use him?

RYAN: They haven't really said yet. There are a lot of possibilities but I wouldn’t want to put words in their mouths. They left it open.

Q: Where could he play in college?

RYAN: He played linebacker for us. I think he is going to get really big. He is a guy that can put on pounds and come off the edge with that type of speed. Again, I am not making decisions at that level. He could be a linebacker or a defensive end.

Q: How were the Iowa coaches during the recruiting process?

RYAN: They are about as classy of a group as I deal with. I am not saying the other coaches aren't good. It is just you know what you get. There are no hidden messages. They are very honest and really are good people to work with.

Q: How much did having a brother at Iowa help?

RYAN: I think it was being familiar. He knew the staff and gets more inside from a player. He knows what he is getting into good or bad. It is a good situation with a lot of opportunities for him. He liked what the future held for him.

Q: How is his work ethic?

RYAN: It is really good. They come from a great stock. His dad is now the defensive coordinator at Rutgers. They have grown up around football their whole lives and know what it takes to be that type of player. It has never been an issue.

Q: Are any schools still recruiting him?

RYAN: Not that I know of. He is locked on and solid with the decision he made.

Q: What type of player has he been to coach?

RYAN: He is a happy go lucky kid. Every day is a good day for him. He is fun to be around. He doesn't always play well like every other 17-year old but he took those circumstances to make himself better. He is a good kid to coach. We are all better coaches when we have 6-3, 215 pound guys that run a 4.5.

See highlights from Niemann's senior season at Sycamore High School in Illinois in the video below.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.