ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban says Texas A&M bought their class

"Listen, you coach with people like Bobby Bowden, and learn how to do things. You coach with other people and learn how not to do things. There’s a reason I ain’t went back and worked for [Saban]. There was opportunities. I don’t want to be associated with him."

NIL really is an unfolding disaster, both because of what it is and because the NCAA has so definitively had its balls cut off that they cannot even pretend to enforce the one fictional rule that they'd tried to set up to make it sound like it had some semblance of oversight (ie, that the school can't be the facilitator of these things).

Saban is actually right. Now I don't have any idea whether Alabama is complying with the fictional rule because their prior bag network was so well established as to have become self-sustaining without the university. But I can certainly get why they're acting hot and bothered that others like Sanders so clearly are not.

Honestly, Alabama will get their recruits just fine and dandy. The real thing Saban is bitching about is that NIL and transfer portal undercut his power to hold on to them in reserve.
No he's not right. He's speaking utter bullshit. Poor him.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Saban is just saying what everyone else is thinking. Can’t fault him for that.

Haven’t listened to it all (or very closely), but are they taking past one another? Saban claims A&M paid for players, and Jimbo’s response is that they didn’t break any rules?

Saban’s comments come at an event where he is trying to swindle more money from boosters, no? His rhetoric seems to hit the mark for that type of event. Jimbo’s impromptu presser feels like an over the top, forced response (“think about the kids and their families…”). Shades of Mike Gundy on display.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCHawk5 and mnole03
I’m siding with Saban on this one because I believe what he said is true. Fisher looks like an idiot, IMO. He spoke on and on about how Saban has achieved his success. “Dig into his past…” Well, Jimbo, you were on his staff at LSU for five seasons. If you were such a morally correct guy and shady dealings were taking place under Saban why did you stay with him? Why did Saban, in fact, leave LSU before you did?

I’m siding with Saban on this one because I believe what he said is true. Fisher looks like an idiot, IMO. He spoke on and on about how Saban has achieved his success. “Dig into his past…” Well, Jimbo, you were on his staff at LSU for five seasons. If you were such a morally correct guy and shady dealings were taking place under Saban why did you stay with him? Why did Saban, in fact, leave LSU before you did?
I’m sure that Fisher thinks Saban was behind torpedoing his UAB deal.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict there won't be a warm handshake after the Bama / aTm game this year. I'd love to be at the SEC meeting in Atlanta.
When I was at FSU their SEC media day was at the Sandestin Beach Hilton where I was bell hop / valet for two summers.

Gene Stallings tips.
Dunno about Spurrier.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's ridiculous. All Saban is saying is to his boosters that if you want to keep getting number 1 classes, you're going to have to pay for them like these guys do.

Jimbo then loses his mind (Which is a typical Jimbo response when the W Virginian in him comes out) and goes on a rant about how they're not cheating. Well Jimbo, Saban never said you were cheating.

When he's asked "Well does that mean you aren't paying players" he simply responds that no laws of the state of Texas were broken. It's all nonsense.

And if any legitimate journalists had been there, the first question would have been. "Well Jimbo, you've asked us to ask coaches who coached for him what shady things he did. So I'm asking you, what shady things did he do?"

Florida State star defensive lineman Travis Johnson, who took to Twitter and quote-tweeted the Saban remark that was reported by AL.com's Mike Rodak. In it, Johnson alleged Alabama of offering him a six-figure deal out of high school.

“Hahahhaha @mikerodak y’all been paying for players since the 80s offered me 6 figures during that time and now y’all swear y’all not paying anyone? Like the kids say, CAP! Y’all was NIL before NIL,” Johnson wrote in a tweet.
“Y’all was NIL before NIL”

That’s awesome!

Years of accusations against Saban. Fisher made it seem obvious that he's cheated a great deal in the past. If it's so clear cut, how come Saban has never been caught? After all this time?

Reactions: goldmom
Television/SECESPN pulls in too much $$$...stop being obtuse

Imagine opposing coaches in college football knowing about Saban's illegal program and wanting to do something about it. Or former players. What's stopping them from going to the press? You're talking about TV contracts? A media uproar would lead to an investigation of all-things Saban. Immediately. Yet, it hasn't happened. And, I'm being obtuse. 😂

:rolleyes:

what-do-you-mean-you-people.gif
Give. Me. A. Break. :rolleyes:

Folks who live in glass houses, should not throw stones. Anyone who thinks “NIL” in its current form is a good idea has no feelings for the future of college football. If you want “minor league professional football” NIL is a good start. Seriously...in 5 years, will NIL athletes even be expected to attend college classes....or even buy books?

ADVERTISEMENT