ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano eligible Immediately to wrestle at Rutgers

Suriano must have the goods on Cael to pull this off.

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

Tend to agree. Tomo seemed to have Megaludes (2,2,3,1) number and I don't think Suriano (DNP - inj) has suddenly vaulted past Megaludes.
I would give Gross the edge if NS ends up @ 133. He's a very good wrestler, but I'll hold off on proclaiming him an NCAA champion for now.

Reactions: rossel 33 and Huck
So he traded dirty info on the PSU program for a waiver to wrestle right away?

Doesn't seem plausible to me.
What does seem plausible to you if you don't think that the home institution did something wrong which triggered the exception to the rule?

Speaking of Gross (and Hall I guess) but I think Gross actually grew up in MN from day 1? Are they the first AV kids to make a finals at the NCAA tournament and Hall being the 1st champ from AV?

Speaking of Gross (and Hall I guess) but I think Gross actually grew up in MN from day 1? Are they the first AV kids to make a finals at the NCAA tournament and Hall being the 1st champ from AV?
I think Matt Demaray at Wisconsin was the 1st AV kid to make a big splash.

Tend to agree. Tomo seemed to have Megaludes (2,2,3,1) number and I don't think Suriano (DNP - inj) has suddenly vaulted past Megaludes.

That's a good point. Tomo did have Mega's # (just like a Mega had Gilman's # until this year. Props to Gilman..)

That's a good point. Tomo did have Mega's # (just like a Mega had Gilman's # until this year. Props to Gilman..)

Fair point as well, but I would say the skill sets for FS and folkstyle are sufficiently different, and those differences favored Gilman over Megaludis for FS.

Gilman went from 3rd place in US collegiate to 2nd in World in just 5 months. FS suits him pretty well. Methinks Metcalf was the opposite. He was very good in FS - best 65kg in US for several years, but perhaps folkstyle better suited him.

Reactions: Mendoza77
OK maybe I just don't get all caught up in stories and rumors, but it seems like this is how this has played out.
1) Suriano wanted a transfer. Everyone on the boards called Cael a scum for not granting it and we all knew NS was unhappy because of the way he was treated. Not that he said it or anyone else said it, but the message boards said it.
2) Cael granted the transfer and said NS is given a release from PSU to go to Rutgers. The big ten has a rule that causes you to lose a year of eligibility for transferring from 1 Big school to another. That was some underhanded dealing by Cael to use the rule against NS because he could have gotten the Big 14 to suspend the rule. (so it says on the message boards.) Again Cael is a creep and a scumbag and NS parents even told the AD at PSU that. People on Message boards know everything that happens.
3) The Big 14 gives NS a release and it was done in spite of all the terrible things Cael tried to do to stop them. Apparently NS has some dirt on Cael and instead of the NCAA or the Big officials going after Cael and PSU, they just decided to grant NS a release and leave it at that. I am sure that will teach Cael and PSU a lesson. Does this mean that Cael and PSU can continue to break rules and ruin lives?

Sometimes it is embarrassing to listen to the rumors flying around. Not everyone is saying silly stuff, but ethos elf you that are speaking without any facts and then drawing conclusions, should try to stop it, before you really look foolish.

Good luck NS. I hope things are better for you and this is the right move.

A theory floated on BWI by a physical therapist for a major university is that the initial diagnosis of NS's ankle could have missed the severity of the injury and the staff may have recommended conservative treatment and continued participation in wrestling rather than surgery.

However, it's possible a second doctor not affiliated with PSU discovered that the injury was worse than first thought and the Surianos didn't take that information lightly.

This theory came from a person familiar with university athletics medical practices but not the case in question.

Last edited:
OK maybe I just don't get all caught up in stories and rumors, but it seems like this is how this has played out.
1) Suriano wanted a transfer. Everyone on the boards called Cael a scum for not granting it and we all knew NS was unhappy because of the way he was treated. Not that he said it or anyone else said it, but the message boards said it.
2) Cael granted the transfer and said NS is given a release from PSU to go to Rutgers. The big ten has a rule that causes you to lose a year of eligibility for transferring from 1 Big school to another. That was some underhanded dealing by Cael to use the rule against NS because he could have gotten the Big 14 to suspend the rule. (so it says on the message boards.) Again Cael is a creep and a scumbag and NS parents even told the AD at PSU that. People on Message boards know everything that happens.
3) The Big 14 gives NS a release and it was done in spite of all the terrible things Cael tried to do to stop them. Apparently NS has some dirt on Cael and instead of the NCAA or the Big officials going after Cael and PSU, they just decided to grant NS a release and leave it at that. I am sure that will teach Cael and PSU a lesson. Does this Gmean that Cael and PSU can continue to break rules and ruin lives?

Sometimes it is embarrassing to listen to the rumors flying around. Not everyone is saying silly stuff, but ethos elf you that are speaking without any facts and then drawing conclusions, should try to stop it, before you really look foolish.

PSU offical statement: "We granted this release. Subject to Big Ten policy, any intra-conference transfer is required to sit for one year before they are again eligible to participate. Nick is open to transfer to Rutgers and will be subject to that school's policies (conference or otherwise) on transfer and eligibility status. We support and work within the Big Ten policy."

It took more than three weeks for the Big Ten Academics and Eligibility subcommittee to rule on Suriano, whose waiver was submitted after sources told NJ Advance Media that Penn State officials refused a closed-doors request for an amicable split. Per NJ Advance Media

The B1G committee ruled in favor of Suriano because (fill in your reason). It's widely suspected to be PSU's mismanagement of Suriano's injury treatment.

3) The Big 14 gives NS a release and it was done in spite of all the terrible things Cael tried to do to stop them. Apparently NS has some dirt on Cael and instead of the NCAA or the Big officials going after Cael and PSU, they just decided to grant NS a release and leave it at that. I am sure that will teach Cael and PSU a lesson. Does this mean that Cael and PSU can continue to break rules and ruin lives?

Good counter points. What is your theory/opinion on why the conference granted the waiver? I know it contributes to the glut of message board theories out there but go for it.

Fair point as well, but I would say the skill sets for FS and folkstyle are sufficiently different, and those differences favored Gilman over Megaludis for FS.

Gilman went from 3rd place in US collegiate to 2nd in World in just 5 months. FS suits him pretty well. Methinks Metcalf was the opposite. He was very good in FS - best 65kg in US for several years, but perhaps folkstyle better suited him.

Just my opinion, but the FS rules did not allow for Metcalf to gain the upper hand via conditioning like he could in folk. He beat some VERY salty dudes in folk...not the least of which was Jordan Burroughs. While very, very good in FS, he could not reach the highest level in the world despite several attempts.

I think too it was more a matter of style not suiting his "game" just right.

Good counter points. What is your theory/opinion on why the conference granted the waiver? I know it contributes to the glut of message board theories out there but go for it.
I don't really have theory as to why they granted the waiver. I have not heard anything negative come out of the mouth of anyone in the Suriano family. They seem to be handling this with a ton of class. I do not get the feeling that there are a lot of sour grapes out there. He probably was not recruited to go back to Rutgers so the decision was probably more of a family issue or personal issue. The Big officials do not want kids transferring from Big school to Big school to gain competitive advantage or due to underhanded or back door slimy recruiting by one school. I am guessing that none of that happened and so the intent of the rule was not applicable here. It just sounds like for some reason, he wanted or needed to be closer to home. No idea why.
In my opinion, this was handled with class and the way it should be handled all the time. The Suriano's wanted to transfer and gave PSU and the staff plenty of notice. PSU tried to get him to change his mind. When he would not, they granted the waiver. Then the Big officials granted the release after listening to the facts.
It is a lot like the Logan Ryan transfer. We have rumors, but in the end the Brands released him. Classy - IMHO.

Except that the B1G does not grant waivers without losing eligibility unless there are clearly extenuating circumstances to grant it. Flo's FRL was typical no info :
CP: Something happened
Smalls: Yeah, Suriano lied

Reactions: atkins 23
The something that happened could have been unrelated to wrestling. Who knows what happened. I say give the benefit of the doubt until we know something, but don't trash people without evidence.

Am I misremembering, or is all of willie's information on the uthoff comparison wrong? This is the second time he's brought that up on frl.

PSU offical statement: "We granted this release. Subject to Big Ten policy, any intra-conference transfer is required to sit for one year before they are again eligible to participate. Nick is open to transfer to Rutgers and will be subject to that school's policies (conference or otherwise) on transfer and eligibility status. We support and work within the Big Ten policy."

It took more than three weeks for the Big Ten Academics and Eligibility subcommittee to rule on Suriano, whose waiver was submitted after sources told NJ Advance Media that Penn State officials refused a closed-doors request for an amicable split. Per NJ Advance Media

The B1G committee ruled in favor of Suriano because (fill in your reason). It's widely suspected to be PSU's mismanagement of Suriano's injury treatment.
seems_a_little_crazy_weird_al.gif

Reactions: el dub
You are correct. Willie is wrong.
He's definitely wrong if he's talking about Uthoff. I don't recall Willie mentioning Jared by name so maybe he's referring to Sam Okey who did not sit out a season, but broke his hand and only played in 7 games.

I don't really have theory as to why they granted the waiver. I have not heard anything negative come out of the mouth of anyone in the Suriano family. They seem to be handling this with a ton of class. I do not get the feeling that there are a lot of sour grapes out there. He probably was not recruited to go back to Rutgers so the decision was probably more of a family issue or personal issue. The Big officials do not want kids transferring from Big school to Big school to gain competitive advantage or due to underhanded or back door slimy recruiting by one school. I am guessing that none of that happened and so the intent of the rule was not applicable here. It just sounds like for some reason, he wanted or needed to be closer to home. No idea why.
In my opinion, this was handled with class and the way it should be handled all the time. The Suriano's wanted to transfer and gave PSU and the staff plenty of notice. PSU tried to get him to change his mind. When he would not, they granted the waiver. Then the Big officials granted the release after listening to the facts.
It is a lot like the Logan Ryan transfer. We have rumors, but in the end the Brands released him. Classy - IMHO.

Then why would PSU not support the waiver or meet to resolve this amicably? If there are no sour grapes or dirt and there is a compelling reason for the conference to grant the waiver then PSU should have supported it.

He's definitely wrong if he's talking about Uthoff. I don't recall Willie mentioning Jared by name so maybe he's referring to Sam Okey who did not sit out a season, but broke his hand and only played in 7 games.

Okey most definitely sat out a season. He was a January transfer, leaving WI in Jan 1998 and became eligible at Iowa in Jan 1999. And that was about 20 years ago. Rules change.

Someone tell that to the mouth breathers from Flo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT