ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano eligible Immediately to wrestle at Rutgers

I think you have it backwards. Cael is on record saying Nick was making more out of the injury than warranted. That doesn't sound like a coach pushing for surgery.

Listen again. Nick says repeatedly he's glad he didn't have the surgery. And i guess the Big10 must have agreed with Suriano's assertions that he was being coerced into having unwanted surgery, otherwise , why give him an immediate waiver. Unless the Big 10 just did not want to open a big can of worms. Which now sounds likely.

That is an example of a kid who wants to start a tradition as opposed to being a part of one that is currently on going. I have always said some kinds like to go to a less established place and make a difference instead of going to an established powerhouse. I think Iowa loses some recruits to that and PSU just lost one (although there may be other things involved).
I remember years ago when Iowa was recruiting Andre Metzger and he went to Oklahoma. Andre said the reason was Coach Abel said to him, you can go to Iowa and be one of Gable's national champs or you can come to Oklahoma and be Andre Metzger the national champ. Recruiting can be tricky - to say the least.
Good luck to the kid and I hope he wins a title or 2 for Rutgers.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
LOL u guys can sure make me laugh...
Lee came because of coach Terry Brands who will coach to him to GOLD medal in the OOO and a weight above Lee will be Clark with a medal, now if guys could get DT and ZR to come along and help out USA will take over free style wrestling.

Reactions: slushhead
That's exactly what I thought when I heard that Spencer Lee was Iowa-bound.

Oooooooh . . . :D
I think Lee just fit in at Iowa. He wanted to go where he felt he would be able to develop the best. Iowa was it for him. I don't think he was thinking tradition or established or starting a tradition at all. Iowa was a clear favorite for him, because he thought it is the best room in the country for him.

I was just being a wiseguy. I understand that multiple considerations go into the choice, including personalities.

For example, if he wasn't placing so much importance on being "a Jerzey guy", I believe Suriano would have been a good fit in the Hawkeye program. Then all truly would have to bow down to the greatest lightweight tandem in the country.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
I was just being a wiseguy. I understand that multiple considerations go into the choice, including personalities.

For example, if he wasn't placing so much importance on being "a Jerzey guy", I believe Suriano would have been a good fit in the Hawkeye program. Then all truly would have to bow down to the greatest lightweight tandem in the country.
I think you are right. If I remember correctly, Gobblin was dropping hints to the effect of great news was coming and hinting that Suriano was going to commit to Iowa. I am guessing, he was giving it some serious thought. I could see him at Iowa, from what little I know of him. But alas, he is a jersey boy. Isn't that a band? PD3 would be Bad Company and Tnt, M*, and Perry could be the Highwayman. Quite a musical group.

I think you are right. If I remember correctly, Gobblin was dropping hints to the effect of great news was coming and hinting that Suriano was going to commit to Iowa. I am guessing, he was giving it some serious thought. I could see him at Iowa, from what little I know of him. But alas, he is a jersey boy. Isn't that a band? PD3 would be Bad Company and Tnt, M*, and Perry could be the Highwayman. Quite a musical group.

My son is Nick's age and we lived in the town that bordered his, so I've known Suriano for years. I can tell you that from when he was a little kid he wore Iowa gear all the time, and his Frosh HS year one of his coaches told me he had always been a huge Iowa fan. He absolutely has the Iowa style and mentality. I always assumed he was ours.

However, I have to say I'm hoping Lee, Kemmerer, etc are changing "Iowa Style" from "grind it out and be tough and nasty" to "be really f-ing good." I like that style better.

My son is Nick's age and we lived in the town that bordered his, so I've known Suriano for years. I can tell you that from when he was a little kid he wore Iowa gear all the time, and his Frosh HS year one of his coaches told me he had always been a huge Iowa fan. He absolutely has the Iowa style and mentality. I always assumed he was ours.

However, I have to say I'm hoping Lee, Kemmerer, etc are changing "Iowa Style" from "grind it out and be tough and nasty" to "be really f-ing good." I like that style better.

I don't think those styles have to be mutually exclusive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT