ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano

DayHawk18

HR All-State
Sep 3, 2014
According to CP and Smalls, Cael will not be releasing Suriano. He really sounds like he's just about the kids, as the PSU fans like to say.

What a joke. You just want to hold a kid hostage. If our guys want to leave, then I want them to leave. No point in forcing someone to be here who doesn't want to be here. Real classy guy Cael seems to be.

It's a bad look and if it happens, I hope that other current/future recruits take note. On one hand I get that it is within the rules. On the other hand it is a huge double standard and holding a kid hostage is low.

If it's not a good fit or if another top 5 recruit beats you out then you may be screwed and they won't let you leave.

For you PSU fans, this isn't about Cael and I have had this opinion for years (since 2006 to be exact).

It's a bad look and if it happens, I hope that other current/future recruits take note. On one hand I get that it is within the rules. On the other hand it is a huge double standard and holding a kid hostage is low.

If it's not a good fit or if another top 5 recruit beats you out then you may be screwed and they won't let you leave.

For you PSU fans, this isn't about Cael and I have had this opinion for years (since 2006 to be exact).

I've had the same opinion since 2006. I don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here, leave where you want to be.

Reactions: DirkTang1
As a PSU fan, I tend to agree with you. If he wants to leave, then let him. What kind of atmosphere will he bring to the team and the room? There's gotta be more to this story, though....

Side note, gotta ask. Are Willie and CP actually being accurate this time around with real evidence or just spouting off their opinions again? Didn't listen to the latest FRL.

Not releasing is rarely exercised in a non-revenue sport. Unfortunate.

Exactly. IMO its should be 100% releases.
Really its a bad look for Cael that's not needed. He has the machine rolling, no point in trying to win this small battle that isn't needed that could cost him in recruiting down the road. Esp considering ISU bent over backwards to give him back Taylor, Brown and later Long.

This sport doesn't need the butt hurt VT bitter attitude and neither does Cael.

But as an Iowa fan good for you Cael lol. The Brands don't recruit negative but I can already see Tom Ryan and Manning re writing their speeches to parents.

As a PSU fan, I tend to agree with you. If he wants to leave, then let him. What kind of atmosphere will he bring to the team and the room? There's gotta be more to this story, though....

Side note, gotta ask. Are Willie and CP actually being accurate this time around with real evidence or just spouting off their opinions again? Didn't listen to the latest FRL.

CP has direct knowledge of the situation. DIRECT.

Exactly. IMO its should be 100% releases.
Really its a bad look for Cael that's not needed. He has the machine rolling, no point in trying to win this small battle that isn't needed that could cost him in recruiting down the road. Esp considering ISU bent over backwards to give him back Taylor, Brown

This sport doesn't need the butt hurt VT bitter attitude and neither does Cael.

But as an Iowa fan good for you Cael lol. The Brands don't recruit negative but I can already see Tom Ryan and Manning re writing their speeches to parents.

You want college wrestling to become the Wild West with a free agency period?

Do you really want a kid that doesn't want to be there? If he goes to Rutgers what's the big deal? It's not like they are going to challenge for the title. I could see not releasing him to a Iowa, OSU or tOSU but, Rutgers...really it is weak sauce to deny that.

Reactions: Czech Hawk
If true it is hard to imagine the youngster staying at penn st out of spite. I can't remember if suri used his redshirt or not and what difference that would make if he did transfer somewhere. Has to be a tough blow competing so well last year only to have an injury stop him from being an all american.

You want college wrestling to become the Wild West with a free agency period?

Says the guy whose team stands to benefit from two transfers this year if McKenna ends up at PSU. Plus, Illinois released Cortez which allowed him to come to PSU. The system is designed to allow for a transfer, why not let them within the allowed framework? PSU has benefitted from other coaches "fair play." Why won't Cael? You guys will still be favored but I guess Cael doesn't like to play cards unless the deck is stacked.

The problem is it is a 100% vindictive act. IN NO WAY(unless of course they stay because of it and then you end up with a bitter guy on your squad) does it benefit your program if you don't allow a release. You gain nothing from it and penalize a young adult who has to serve his penalty somewhere else.

A conditional release can make sense if you don't want him to end up at a major rival or in your conference, but a full non-release just makes you look like a dick.....

I suppose that if he's not released by PSU, he can go wherever and sit out. And where will he get the best lower-weight training partners? Perhaps a certain club would be an attractive place to train with guys who are on world teams at his weight.

The other underlying issue with non-revenue sports are that scholarships are divided and not necessarily whole. Some top programs have scholarship amounts given by NCAA performance the previous year, for example. This isn't football or basketball where scholarships must be 100%.

Meh, I'm guessing this is a non-issue. Suriano stays, and everyone stays quiet.
If the surianos have taken it this far I doubt he stays. They seem to be pretty bull headed and this probably just put the nail in the coffin. Seems like a big reason for the move is MMA and a year off from NCAAs would help in that arena

Reactions: el dub
CP and Willie discussing the reaction to their latest Suriano news. ;)

ubisoft-2.jpg

Says the guy whose team stands to benefit from two transfers this year if McKenna ends up at PSU. Plus, Illinois released Cortez which allowed him
to come to PSU. The system is designed to allow for a transfer, why not let them within the allowed framework? PSU has benefitted from other coaches "fair play." Why won't Cael? You guys will still be favored but I guess Cael doesn't like to play cards unless the deck is stacked.

Warms my heart Eric to see you and a bunch of Hawkeyes care so much about a family from New Jersey.

So, if Nick comes to Iowa, does that mean he can only compete for two seasons after sitting out one?

Reactions: Knight563
Im not sure where I sit on the Suriano release, as I see both sides of the debate and am glad I dont make that decision.....

however, for those of you spouting off with a definitive answer when TnT didnt release Logan, well lets just take the volume down a notch. that cuts this way too....and goes for the PSU guys that threw Logan at you guys in the past that now need to eat crow on this.

Do you really want a kid that doesn't want to be there? If he goes to Rutgers what's the big deal? It's not like they are going to challenge for the title. I could see not releasing him to a Iowa, OSU or tOSU but, Rutgers...really it is weak sauce to deny that.

I actually think its worse to allow him to go a few places but deny him the school he really wants to go to.

"Well let you go anywhere you want but here and here?" Will that have to be part of a coaches recruiting speech?

Much better off either having a release agreement or none at all. Or at least be honest with the kid before the sign LOI. And I cant see too many coaches having that kind of a discussion.

Im not sure where I sit on the Suriano release, as I see both sides of the debate and am glad I dont make that decision.....

however, for those of you spouting off with a definitive answer when TnT didnt release Logan, well lets just take the volume down a notch. that cuts this way too....and goes for the PSU guys that threw Logan at you guys in the past that now need to eat crow on this.

Refresh my memory on Logan...don't seem to remember it.

Don't give him his release so all he's thinking is revenge and ends up 133 lbs for Iowa! BOOM

2018-2019

Lee
Suriano
Turk/Happel
Lugo
Kemerer
Bull
Young
Wicke
Warner
Stoll
I'm in the release all wrestlers camp but if they didn't this would be an awesome middle finger to PSU

Reactions: Knight563

Logan who?

If Warner hates it here and wants to leave, then let him leave.

My position is regardless of school affiliation. These are very young men.
I actually agree with you and think if Suriano wants to leave after actually wrestling a year for the team then he should be granted his release. just messing with ya because 2006 and the V-Tech/Iowa situation is when you decided this is the position you would take, no bias there;)

Reactions: DayHawk18
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT