ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Nick Wilson growing into LB

Apr 8, 2003
As Nick Wilson prepares to make the transition from high school safety to college linebacker, his main focus is on getting bigger and stronger this spring as he gets ready to report to Iowa. We caught up with Wilson, who is up to 220 pounds, to talk about making the move to Iowa City, his goals for his upcoming freshman year, and much more.

Q: What have you been up to since signing day?

WILSON: Iowa sent me their spring workout, so I’ve been doing that. Most of it was lifting, but it had some speed and agility in it too. I finished that program and then they sent me a new one that just started on the 12th so I’ve been doing that and getting ready for when I go up there on June 12.

Q: Arriving in June, are you taking classes and everything this summer?

WILSON: Yeah, I’m taking a couple classes. They go all the way into fall camp, so I’ll be there for most of the summer.

Q: What are you looking forward to being there this summer?

WILSON: Just getting acclimated to everything and getting used to it. Moving in and getting used to college. I’m taking a couple classes, so I can get comfortable with it. It’s really exciting. I can’t wait to get up there.

Q: Going back to their workout program, what did you think of it once you got into it?

WILSON: It was full body workouts most of the time, so I was sore for a while, but I got used to it. Now, I’m looking forward to working out in the new weight room and working out with the team.

Q: Coming in, are you starting out at safety or moving to linebacker right away?

WILSON: I’ll be playing LEO linebacker.

Q: What is your weight at coming in?

WILSON: I bounce from 215 to 220, so in between there. On a good day, I can get up to 225. In one day, I can lose or gain 10 pounds. It’s kind of crazy right now.

Q: Has that been a goal to get bigger this spring?

WILSON: Yeah. I’ve already put on a good 15 pounds since last season. Hopefully by the time fall gets here I’ll be in the 225 range.

Q: Have you found out what number you are going to wear in college?

WILSON: #29.

Q: Did you ask for that or did they just assign that to you?

WILSON: They just assigned it. I might be able to change it after the first year, but for now it’s #29.

Q: What is your mindset or your goals going into your freshman year at Iowa?

WILSON: I’m just going to give my all and see what happens. If I get redshirted, that’s not a negative in my eyes, but if I don’t then I’m excited to be on the field. It’s really a win-win for me at this point. I’m just excited to get there and see what I can do.

Q: Now that you are about to start college, do you ever look back at the week before signing day and how all of this came together?

WILSON: Yeah. It feels like it was just yesterday, but now we’re here and it’s only 20 days away from when I’ll be in Iowa City. It’s kind of crazy to look back at it all, but I’m excited to finally get there and see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News