ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and booing

Packer54

HR All-American
Mar 30, 2014
Just curious what everyone thinks about this. As NIL continues to drive player taking cash and moving on, will it be more acceptable with programs where it doesn’t work as intended for fans to let their displeasure be heard? It’s not hard to imagine having 15 rental players almost every year with numerous schools. It’ll be an interesting dynamic relative to fan reaction when they’re not getting what you pay for. Will the general public still think that you can’t boo a 20 year old kid. What new kind of pressures come from big money donors. CFB is changing rapidly and we are far from the end game.

I’m not sure I’ve ever really understood booing your own team… I don’t think it’s something I’ve ever done in my whole entire life.

And for what it’s worth, it didn’t happen a ton 30/40 years ago. You would get the audible sigh or what not but nobody was doing their own coaches and players.

Even in the pros as memory serves. Some of the fellas my age and older can come through and correct me but I don’t remember it and feel like it’s a fairly recent phenomenon.

The other team for sure!!

I’m not sure I’ve ever really understood booing your own team… I don’t think it’s something I’ve ever done in my whole entire life.

And for what it’s worth, it didn’t happen a ton 30/40 years ago. You would get the audible sigh or what not but nobody was doing their own coaches and players.

Even in the pros as memory serves. Some of the fellas my age and older can come through and correct me but I don’t remember it and feel like it’s a fairly recent phenomenon.

I hear it a lot with sub 500 NFL teams. How big is the price of admission and everything that goes with attending a pro game it is getting worse. Seems to me it’s starting to happen more and more in college ball as well….and think it will ramp up somewhat

Reactions: cmhawks99

I’m a Lions fan. It’s been happening in Detroit since the early 2000s

No way I would boo college players unless they did a really dirty play. I have booed officials at games at Kinnick but they deserve it sometimes. I havent booed coaches but I can understand why some people do it.

The real question is how much longer before colleges are just semi pro teams and students aren’t going to class.
I mean basketball and football players very rarely ever go to class and I’m guessing a good amount don’t do much class work.
I’m not sure how it’s going to work though having universities employing young men for entertainment purposes only.

Just curious what everyone thinks about this. As NIL continues to drive player taking cash and moving on, will it be more acceptable with programs where it doesn’t work as intended for fans to let their displeasure be heard? It’s not hard to imagine having 15 rental players almost every year with numerous schools. It’ll be an interesting dynamic relative to fan reaction when they’re not getting what you pay for. Will the general public still think that you can’t boo a 20 year old kid. What new kind of pressures come from big money donors. CFB is changing rapidly and we are far from the end game.
Apparently it is frowned upon to boo kids making 6-7 digit figures. 🤷‍♂️

Agreed, I'm not interested in booing players at any level; dirty plays being the exception. I have booed calls, but never booed the refs, coaches, or opposing teams off the field.

That said, it's just my personal choice, and each ticket holder is free to do as they please.

Hayden used to talk about the boo birds….

As an advocate for not booing college kids, this is a new dynamic. Frankly, I am just not going to attend as much for this quasi professional play - period. It like 2nd to 7th division in English soccer now- but w/coaches pay at the EpL level

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
How old are some of you? (I'm "only" 36 btw)

Surely you're not so naive to think booing players, teams and coaches is something that just started in the last quarter of a century, even at Iowa....................

Come now.

The worst fans I’ve been around are Villanova hoops and Ohio St football fans. They were just killing their players from the stands and both teams were kicking Iowa’s ass😂

If you're being paid by the money and time investments (such as TV viewership/contracts) of fans, they are certainly entitled to provide you with progress reports of your performance.

ADVERTISEMENT