ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Income Cap

BigDan21

HR All-State
Sep 27, 2014
College football needs an NIL income cap asap, before this gets any more out of control. The cap should be affordable to every D1 program. There’s a reason why every major professional sports organization in the country has some variation of a salary cap. It is necessary to maintain a level playing field and parity within the league.

This is perhaps even far more important at the college level compared to the pros, due to the large number of wealthy donors and alumni willing to shell out money at particular programs to see their team succeed. As the rules currently stand, the NIL system serves as a back door to directly pay players in exchange for them playing at a particular school, with no limits, regulation, or oversight. More over, the new transfer portal rules create a system of unregulated free agency, which compounds on the problem.

Something has to be done about this. What we’re seeing now is just the tip of the iceberg.

Does any sports league, NFL, NHL, MLB, or NBA have an endorsement income or outside income cap?

Seems to me the solution is simple, but probably not popular: Federal law banning any NIL contract entered into before a player commits that would be an inducement to sign with a particular school. Anyone who violates it, be they booster or player, commits a Federal offense.

College football needs an NIL income cap asap, before this gets any more out of control. The cap should be affordable to every D1 program. There’s a reason why every major professional sports organization in the country has some variation of a salary cap. It is necessary to maintain a level playing field and parity within the league.

This is perhaps even far more important at the college level compared to the pros, due to the large number of wealthy donors and alumni willing to shell out money at particular programs to see their team succeed. As the rules currently stand, the NIL system serves as a back door to directly pay players in exchange for them playing at a particular school, with no limits, regulation, or oversight. More over, the new transfer portal rules create a system of unregulated free agency, which compounds on the problem.

Something has to be done about this. What we’re seeing now is just the tip of the iceberg.
Calling Ashton Kutcher

Does any sports league, NFL, NHL, MLB, or NBA have an endorsement income or outside income cap?

Seems to me the solution is simple, but probably not popular: Federal law banning any NIL contract entered into before a player commits that would be an inducement to sign with a particular school. Anyone who violates it, be they booster or player, commits a Federal offense.

That could work too. I think one thing that makes college NIL different from professional endorsements is the number of donors and alumni in college sports willing to “donate” for a player to play for their team, with no other business incentives. Where as at the pro level the endorsement deals are not generally contingent on a player playing for a specific team.

NCAA can't do anything here. If they did, lawsuits would be coming up the zing against them. They could've done regulatory on NIL in years past but too late. Ill be the wild west until USSC do something about it, and....(glances over at it) I don't expect anything to happen from them.

Reactions: hawkhockey
There is one solution to this and it comes from the NCAA. The NIl contracts are completely outside of their purview . There is no way for them to regulate it. However, the NIL benefits come because of their platform, playing for their schools. The difference in financial benefit between the NFL and College sports right now is that the NFL signs people to multi year contracts. Put in place a system where the kids sign a multi year contract with the school. Sure you can say you are taking choice away from the players, but that rings hollow now that they aren’t amateurs. 3 years, unless to w coaching staff changes or the school let’s you out of the contract. After that, have at it.

There is one solution to this and it comes from the NCAA. The NIl contracts are completely outside of their purview . There is no way for them to regulate it. However, the NIL benefits come because of their platform, playing for their schools. The difference in financial benefit between the NFL and College sports right now is that the NFL signs people to multi year contracts. Put in place a system where the kids sign a multi year contract with the school. Sure you can say you are taking choice away from the players, but that rings hollow now that they aren’t amateurs. 3 years, unless to w coaching staff changes or the school let’s you out of the contract. After that, have at it.
Revoking the new transfer rule would have a similar effect and would be a step in the right direction. That would solve the problem of corporate financed programs like Oregon coming along and poaching players like Jestin Jacobs.

But high school players like Proctor will still be going to the highest bidder, unless some rules are put in place.

I think an NIL team cap seems reasonable,.. Also think a 1-3 year negotiated contract between the school and the athlete makes sense...

The NCAA is governed by the Board of Governors, with is mostly college Presidents. They need to get together and establish new rules for college sports.

The Law of the Land now says that a player can sell his NIL. Well, it's also "legal" for a coach to give money to a player or a players parents. There is no LAW against a coach paying for a kid to fly home for Christmas. The is no LAW that says a college team can't practice 80 hours a week in full pads.

But, there are Rules. NCAA Rules and Regulations for participation in college football and basketball in an NCAA member institution.

So, the Law says a player can sell his NIL. Why can't there be a Rule that caps that amount if they want to remain eligible to play?

It's up to the Board of Governors to set the rules and the NCAA to enforce them.

I am still waiting to see what the payers are using the players' names, images, and likenesses for.
This.

The players can sell their NIL. Ok, how about setting some reasonable limits based on the actual value of their NIL?

Appear in a commercial for a car dealer. What do actors get for doing that? Figure it out and set a limit.

Appear in the showroom of the dealer to sign autographs. Appear on a billboard, go to a VIP dinner, whatever else is considered NIL. These have a value that can be determined.

Paying a football player to play football? That's not even close to NIL.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
The NCAA is governed by the Board of Governors, with is mostly college Presidents. They need to get together and establish new rules for college sports.

The Law of the Land now says that a player can sell his NIL. Well, it's also "legal" for a coach to give money to a player or a players parents. There is no LAW against a coach paying for a kid to fly home for Christmas. The is no LAW that says a college team can't practice 80 hours a week in full pads.

But, there are Rules. NCAA Rules and Regulations for participation in college football and basketball in an NCAA member institution.

So, the Law says a player can sell his NIL. Why can't there be a Rule that caps that amount if they want to remain eligible to play?

It's up to the Board of Governors to set the rules and the NCAA to enforce them.
Law always trumps Rule.

Perhaps a parallel to this discussion: Why do scholarship limits exist in college sports?
Precisely. Scholarship limits are in place largely to ensure parity in the league and prevent teams with more financial resources from hoarding players.

If NIL is allowed, the same principle should apply. The way it’s currently headed, college football is simply an arms race to see who can buy the best team.

Precisely. Scholarship limits are in place largely to ensure parity in the league and prevent teams with more financial resources from hoarding players.

If NIL is allowed, the same principle should apply. The way it’s currently headed, college football is simply an arms race to see who can buy the best team.
One's a business (NIL); one isn't (scholarships).

• Haha
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
In this corner, you have the NCAA, they will be led by the usual bureaucratic morons, and will be carrying sticks and rocks.

In the other corner, you have capitalism, they will be led by the best and brightest, and will be carrying AK-47s and grenades...and a protective shield of gold plated armor.

Two go into the battle...only one will come out.

Would be pretty hard to enforce if the enticement is a conversation, particularly if it’s conversation between an unofficial rep and a family member. Just don’t think that would change that much.

While I certainly understand what happens with the bulk of NIL (payments for basic appearance fees), there are other cases where this would be a terrible move. Non-revenue sport athletes often rely on NIL to raise money to train for things like the Olympics. Also, if a player had a popular podcast or wrote a book, this would then be the NCAA stepping in and saying how much they could make from it. NCAA can’t even properly manage stuff that is actually in their scope of control. NIL is outside their purview and would be nearly impossible to police.

Then the "kids" will become employees of the school, and most likely form a College Football Players' Union. Read U.S. v. Alston (again, if you've read it before).

Also i think what year in the program ahould matter in nil $$$. Just like the pros the longer you are in a program the better the nil. A cap structure is needed.

The simple solution: Anyone signing a NIL contract without completing a semester at the school is deemed ineligible.
This means you can no longer get promised $$$ to come to a school. However collectives that pay $50k for ever online still work since not targeting individual and can get money after semester. Also you can pay unlimited for a Heisman winner already at school to endorse whatever.

Also i think what year in the program ahould matter in nil $$$. Just like the pros the longer you are in a program the better the nil. A cap structure is needed.
Whomever you put in charge of imposing these restrictions (NCAA/Conference/School) is going to:

a. get sued by many people for many $$$;
b. lose the case; and
c. regret their decision in the first place.

Whomever you put in charge of imposing these restrictions (NCAA/Conference/School) is going to:

a. get sued by many people for many $$$;
b. lose the case; and
c. regret their decision in the first place.
Doesn't mean that i think it should happen. I think the more $$$ for players that have been in a program longer would help with stealing players away. My wish for nil might be legally impossible but i still wish something happens soon. Maybe it's my age. I need to get ready to yell at kids on my lawn soon.

Doesn't mean that i think it should happen. I think the more $$$ for players that have been in a program longer would help with stealing players away. My wish for nil might be legally impossible but i still wish something happens soon. Maybe it's my age. I need to get ready to yell at kids on my lawn soon.
If it makes you feel good ~ Keep dreamin'

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT