ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Income Cap

While I certainly understand what happens with the bulk of NIL (payments for basic appearance fees), there are other cases where this would be a terrible move. Non-revenue sport athletes often rely on NIL to raise money to train for things like the Olympics. Also, if a player had a popular podcast or wrote a book, this would then be the NCAA stepping in and saying how much they could make from it. NCAA can’t even properly manage stuff that is actually in their scope of control. NIL is outside their purview and would be nearly impossible to police.
Ok, but I thought NIL was new?

Honestly, I don't think it would be THAT hard to police it. For example, all NIL contracts would have to conform to a certain form that would make transparent the amount paid and for what reason it will be paid. The "payors" would be required to report the progress of an athletes services provided to the payor.

This reporting would all be required to be submitted to the newly formed NIL committee of the NCAA.

ANY payments made to athletes outside of the NIL reporting would be a violation. And the penalties could be severe, keeping most athletes in line.

IDK - something needs to be done. I'm not smart enough to figure out what that is.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Would be pretty hard to enforce if the enticement is a conversation, particularly if it’s conversation between an unofficial rep and a family member. Just don’t think that would change that much.
PhonySophisticatedEquestrian-size_restricted.gif

There are ways to regulate activity but I don't know if NCAA wants to. I think one would be registering deals so that the NCAA could see the contracts. There shouldn't be any inducements to come to a school nor any other notion of pay to play. Caps aren't going to happen because it isn't the schools paying them.

Wait until the IRS gets involved, how many of these kids have ever filed an income tax return. Once somebody gets sentenced to serving time for failure to report properly things will change.
There will be lots of advisors that will help them out with that.

There are ways to regulate activity but I don't know if NCAA wants to. I think one would be registering deals so that the NCAA could see the contracts. There shouldn't be any inducements to come to a school nor any other notion of pay to play. Caps aren't going to happen because it isn't the schools paying them.
Wrong again! You, and your NCAA friends will be laughed out of court. But please, please: give it a try.

Does there need to be SOMETHING done? Absolutely
Did something need to be put in place before they approved NIL and unlimited transfers? absolutely
Did the NCAA create this mess? Absolutely

Does any sports league, NFL, NHL, MLB, or NBA have an endorsement income or outside income cap?

Seems to me the solution is simple, but probably not popular: Federal law banning any NIL contract entered into before a player commits that would be an inducement to sign with a particular school. Anyone who violates it, be they booster or player, commits a Federal offense.
Two US senators are already proposing a bill, at the request of Saban. Tuberville (who is a joke) and Manchin(money grabbing crook). Both have ties to Saban, so there is a surprise... Part of the reason is that Alabama one of the poorest states in the union. Probably the main part, as they won't be able to complete long-term.

I am all in favor of pay for play and NIL, with some obvious regulation. AND I agree that kids should not be getting paid until they prove it on the field, not driving new sports cars in high school!?!

The separation of athlete from student has been going on for a long time at the highest level in football and men's b-ball.
This is just another part of completing the separation.
Honestly, they might as well start a semi pro league with the tosu, mich, bama etc of college football. The university makes money off name leasing rights, stadium and facility use or whatever. Structure similar to other pro sports leagues. Then Iowa and the lesser players in this game return to something more like an enhanced version of FCS.
Of course it will never play out like this.

I think ultimately it will come down to the member schools coming together and agreeing to a system that works for everyone. On the extreme end, the schools may band together and require all scholarship athletes to sign an agreement to forgo NIL monies, you get paid, then no play. That may result in a schism, colleges without NIL and those with NIL. However it shakes out, I think changes will eventually be made and hopefully before college sports become essentially pro leagues.

Simple solution, get rid of NIL or college sports.
It was decided. The decision was to get rid of college sports.
We don't have to like it but college sports, as we knew it, are history.

Now we each get to decide if we want to support the minor league professional teams that happen to play at university facilities.

I suspect that I will support it at some level, but doubt I can maintain the passion I use to have for college sports (and Hawkeye sports in particular).

Should we cap how much coaches can make too?????
The elephant in the room. Here is my unpopular opinion...

My answer is without question coaching salaries in NCAA should be capped and they should be limited to no more than the amount a school's highest paid educator earns (OR an agreed upon capped salary amount across all NCAA member institutions). Before NIL, this - in my opinion - was one of the great hypocricies of the NCAA. Student-athletes were essentially work for tuition and eligibility could be lost if they transferred to a different school, while coaches can be the highest paid state employee and leave the school for more money or prestige elsewhere. It's a scandalous risk and misuse of funds at most colleges (current coaching salaries) IF - as we have often been told - athletics is secondary to academics and the NCAA is trying to maintain a level playing field. By this logic, if academics are more important to the institution, they should not be paying athletic salaries that far exceed educator salaries. That would do a great deal more to level the field than some of the other petty things the NCAA has chosen to enforce through the years.

Obviously, NIL has changed some of this, but I would still like to see a salary cap for both players and coaches. Salary caps present the additional challenge of managing a budget and needing to choose which players/positions to add/prioritize when building a team. This would create more opportunities at more institutions and possibly create more parity across at least P5 schools. What I suspect happens now, is that the rich continue to get richer and we see greater and greater separation between the top 3-5 schools and everyone else.

Does any sports league, NFL, NHL, MLB, or NBA have an endorsement income or outside income cap?

Seems to me the solution is simple, but probably not popular: Federal law banning any NIL contract entered into before a player commits that would be an inducement to sign with a particular school. Anyone who violates it, be they booster or player, commits a Federal offense.
^^ This ^^

This.

The players can sell their NIL. Ok, how about setting some reasonable limits based on the actual value of their NIL?

Appear in a commercial for a car dealer. What do actors get for doing that? Figure it out and set a limit.

Appear in the showroom of the dealer to sign autographs. Appear on a billboard, go to a VIP dinner, whatever else is considered NIL. These have a value that can be determined.

Paying a football player to play football? That's not even close to NIL.
Excellent post

There is one solution to this and it comes from the NCAA. The NIl contracts are completely outside of their purview . There is no way for them to regulate it. However, the NIL benefits come because of their platform, playing for their schools. The difference in financial benefit between the NFL and College sports right now is that the NFL signs people to multi year contracts. Put in place a system where the kids sign a multi year contract with the school. Sure you can say you are taking choice away from the players, but that rings hollow now that they aren’t amateurs. 3 years, unless to w coaching staff changes or the school let’s you out of the contract. After that, have at it.
Last I checked, when there are coaching changes in the NFL, or any other professional sports league, the players are not released from their contracts and allowed to become free agents. Why should college players be granted that exception under your proposal? You sign a muti-year contract with the school you are bound by it no matter what coach stays or goes.

These kids want all the money they can also deal with all the responsibilities that come with accepting that money. They're pros now, they should be treated as such.

This.

The players can sell their NIL. Ok, how about setting some reasonable limits based on the actual value of their NIL?

Appear in a commercial for a car dealer. What do actors get for doing that? Figure it out and set a limit.

Appear in the showroom of the dealer to sign autographs. Appear on a billboard, go to a VIP dinner, whatever else is considered NIL. These have a value that can be determined.

Paying a football player to play football? That's not even close to NIL.
Not trying to turn this political, so please know its not my intent, have you seen what Hunter Biden's paintings were going for? Why do hot news anchors make more than non hot ones or actors in film? It just happens and its hard to make it not happen.

Not trying to turn this political, so please know its not my intent, have you seen what Hunter Biden's paintings were going for? Why do hot news anchors make more than non hot ones or actors in film? It just happens and its hard to make it not happen.
I'm not suggesting that the star QB at OSU can only make the same amount as a "local" actor.

But, what would Morgan Freeman make on a car commercial?

Besides, do these guys actually DO anything for the sale of their NIL. Most of these payments come from a collective that might include hundreds of individuals and businesses. Can the individuals get CJ Stroud to mow their lawn?

Reactions: grayhair81
Yeah. But of course the NCAA and administrators took a hard pass at this when they had the opportunity to control the landing and now we get to see what happens when we choose chaos. Given the court case, it might actually take legislation from Congress to set up any guidelines for this.

We’re a long way off from needing to consider NIL regulation. We haven’t really seen any reason to believe competitive balance is f’d any worse under this system than it was under the prior system.

If you look at recruiting classes in the aggregate, we’re starting to see some of the traditional front runners start to cede ground to the pack. Other than that wild Texas A&M class - and a whole lot of good that did them - we’re seeing more even distribution of high end 4 and 5 star guys, quarterbacks, wide receivers, and other athletes that play valuable skill positions through the portal and through traditional high school recruiting. Clemson is a good example of a school that can’t afford to hoard talent like they did.

If anything, right now there is reason to believe a cap would hurt UI because our NIL program is going to be one of the top 20 in the country in rather short order. And given the playoff format, that puts us in contention for National titles. And if the talent at the very top is spread more evenly - we won’t have to worry about facing a super team and having virtually no shot like in 2015.

Yeah. But of course the NCAA and administrators took a hard pass at this when they had the opportunity to control the landing and now we get to see what happens when we choose chaos. Given the court case, it might actually take legislation from Congress to set up any guidelines for this.
Isn't this a total overreach for congress? Why should they be allowed to determine what someone deserves to be paid?

Isn't this a total overreach for congress? Why should they be allowed to determine what someone deserves to be paid?
Probably, especially if they went into specifics like that. I don't know enough about this sort of thing to even begin to speculate how it could be possible. All I can say is if someone is important enough, rich enough, and wants it bad enough, someone will figure out a way to do something about it.

Reactions: Hawk_82
They could stipulate that in order to receive federal funding universities have to follow certain policies and restrictions in regards to student athlete payments. They could also create a law that explicitly gives the governing body (NCAA) authority to enforce such restrictions.

They could stipulate that in order to receive federal funding universities have to follow certain policies and restrictions in regards to student athlete payments. They could also create a law that explicitly gives the governing body (NCAA) authority to enforce such restrictions.
There is no appetite for either party to intervene in a well functioning free market. We really don’t need to go back to the old model where boosters handed out bags of cash under the table for trivial amounts and those same schools dominated recruiting while the suckers who played by the rules could never assemble enough talent to seriously challenge them.

If you want Iowa to be competitive in this new world, donate $20 a month to the collective. Real simple. Congress ain’t gonna step in and save you from having to nut up and get involved for your team not being successful. If anything be wary that Iowa’s governor tries to pull a UCLA and make us subsidize Iowa State.

The simple solution: Anyone signing a NIL contract without completing a semester at the school is deemed ineligible.
This means you can no longer get promised $$$ to come to a school. However collectives that pay $50k for ever online still work since not targeting individual and can get money after semester. Also you can pay unlimited for a Heisman winner already at school to endorse whatever.
Lawsuits r the problem. Solution is to have universities join NON NIL/Portal agreements and have their players sign agreements before schollys.

Some won't initially but who cares. Get back to giving amature student athletes who want to play for the love of the game the schollys. Level of play may drop but who cares. It will shut down all the NIL in a matter of time bc no one will want to see a 10/15 team sport that it will turn into.

College football needs an NIL income cap asap, before this gets any more out of control. The cap should be affordable to every D1 program. There’s a reason why every major professional sports organization in the country has some variation of a salary cap. It is necessary to maintain a level playing field and parity within the league.

This is perhaps even far more important at the college level compared to the pros, due to the large number of wealthy donors and alumni willing to shell out money at particular programs to see their team succeed. As the rules currently stand, the NIL system serves as a back door to directly pay players in exchange for them playing at a particular school, with no limits, regulation, or oversight. More over, the new transfer portal rules create a system of unregulated free agency, which compounds on the problem.

Something has to be done about this. What we’re seeing now is just the tip of the iceberg.
Schools don’t pay NIL so not sure what you mean by affordable to every D1 program.

Also, the bulk of D1 programs likely are losing money on football or struggling to break even.

IIRC, the supreme court decision banned the NCAA or schools from limiting players' ability to earn money at all. There's not going to be a cap. There's not going to be a rule banning prospects from making money. I doubt they can even really go after explicit pay-for-play.

Reactions: mikesright
The elephant in the room. Here is my unpopular opinion...

My answer is without question coaching salaries in NCAA should be capped and they should be limited to no more than the amount a school's highest paid educator earns (OR an agreed upon capped salary amount across all NCAA member institutions). Before NIL, this - in my opinion - was one of the great hypocricies of the NCAA. Student-athletes were essentially work for tuition and eligibility could be lost if they transferred to a different school, while coaches can be the highest paid state employee and leave the school for more money or prestige elsewhere. It's a scandalous risk and misuse of funds at most colleges (current coaching salaries) IF - as we have often been told - athletics is secondary to academics and the NCAA is trying to maintain a level playing field. By this logic, if academics are more important to the institution, they should not be paying athletic salaries that far exceed educator salaries. That would do a great deal more to level the field than some of the other petty things the NCAA has chosen to enforce through the years.

Obviously, NIL has changed some of this, but I would still like to see a salary cap for both players and coaches. Salary caps present the additional challenge of managing a budget and needing to choose which players/positions to add/prioritize when building a team. This would create more opportunities at more institutions and possibly create more parity across at least P5 schools. What I suspect happens now, is that the rich continue to get richer and we see greater and greater separation between the top 3-5 schools and everyone else.

It used to be there was a significant difference in head coaching salaries between the NFL & NCAA… that is no longer the case!

It’s truly out of control and I’m a free market capitalist through & through!

It used to be there was a significant difference in head coaching salaries between the NFL & NCAA… that is no longer the case!

It’s truly out of control and I’m a free market capitalist through & through!
"[I'm] a free market capitalist through & through!"

Not if you entertain thoughts of capping coach salaries...

Reactions: mikesright
"[I'm] a free market capitalist through & through!"

Not if you entertain thoughts of capping coach salaries...

I get it, but wow!!

PS….I am a financial advisor in my 2nd life! But it’s getting out of control, they aren’t necessarily mutual exclusive.

Conceptually maybe, but again Arod and 50 million per, wow is all I can say!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT