ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Income Cap

I get it, but wow!!

PS….I am a financial advisor in my 2nd life! But it’s getting out of control, they aren’t necessarily mutual exclusive.

Conceptually maybe, but again Arod and 50 million per, wow is all I can say!
As a former econ professor once remarked during a lecture: "If the U.S. was 100 % capitalist, Pintos would still be blowing up". He wasn't wrong!

Reactions: cmhawks99
Reminder that this all started from Electronic Arts getting sued for making video games without paying the athletes for use of their likeness.
Also can we get the games back now that it’s legal to pay the players?
We are. It was supposed to come out in 2023, but it's been pushed to 2024. They say it's because they want to get it right.

Reactions: cmhawks99
An NIL cap would be terrible for Iowa. We would follow the cap and all the cheating schools who were paying players pre-NIL would go back to giving away money, cars etc. under the table

Schools don’t pay NIL so not sure what you mean by affordable to every D1 program.

Also, the bulk of D1 programs likely are losing money on football or struggling to break even.
By affordable to every D1 program I mean a cap number on NIL payments that is accessible/reasonable to every D1 program, regardless of who’s paying whether it be boosters, local businesses, corporate finance, etc

By affordable to every D1 program I mean a cap number on NIL payments that is accessible/reasonable to every D1 program, regardless of who’s paying whether it be boosters, local businesses, corporate finance, etc
You can’t have a number that is reasonable for a school like Alabama and Louisiana-Monroe.

The number would be so small it would be meaningless.

And on top of that if the school/ncaa dictated anything the lawsuits would start. All sports would demand that same amount and reduce the number even further.

NIL is perfect as-is from a legal standpoint. It’s like a college kid working at McDonald’s on the side.

Last edited:
You can't cap the payments. The issue is not the size of payment it is that people are using as inducements and that is not being enforced. They have laws on the books that they can use and could probably strengthen but putting a cap on NIL is not going to hold up in court.

Just FYI, NIL was approved by the United States Supreme Court, so the only way NIL miight go away would be through a change in the Court's decision--and the Supreme Court seldom changes its rulings.

Reactions: bumpstock
Just FYI, NIL was approved by the United States Supreme Court, so the only way NIL miight go away would be through a change in the Court's decision--and the Supreme Court seldom changes its rulings.
This is 100% correct, and every a-hole who says "...that's not what it was intended to be..." needs to shut up. It wasn't created by the schools, the coaches, the AD's, the conferences, or the NCAA; it was created by the players! They own it, and it's exactly what they intended it to be!

This is 100% correct, and every a-hole who says "...that's not what it was intended to be..." needs to shut up. It wasn't created by the schools, the coaches, the AD's, the conferences, or the NCAA; it was created by the players! They own it, and it's exactly what they intended it to be!
It’s a fvcking disgrace!!!

Keep the scholarship limit and roster limit in place and cap the number of portal transfer you can take a year. The market will sort out the rest. There is a lot of dumb money being spent, which will eventually get sorted.

There is no cap on coaches salaries, school’s TV revenue, stadium improvement, AD budgets, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT