ADVERTISEMENT

NIL money at Iowa

But it's ok to spend 100s or 1000s to watch them??

Lmfao
The only money I’m spending is watching on tv. Occasionally I get down to a game, but I’m not dropping hundreds to watch them. Besides I’m talking being an NIL donor. There’s a difference

I'd be surprised if there are 100,000 Iowa fans willing to pony up $100. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it.

First, that can't happen. Second, that is a major revenue stream for the A.D. And if more fans start contributing directly to a NIL collective rather than donate to the A.D. those season ticket donations might just be going up, along with ticket prices. The A.D. HAS to get their money.
Geez barta must be loaded!

The only money I’m spending is watching on tv. Occasionally I get down to a game, but I’m not dropping hundreds to watch them. Besides I’m talking being an NIL donor. There’s a difference
So you're ok with people 5ge school but not players? Just silly

I've updated my initial post and I thought this would be a good thread to revive, given the news about the new Swarm Collective.

Why bother....half that money would end up in Ferments and Brains pocket after their next extensions....of course, this is after Barta gets his cut.

Why bother....half that money would end up in Ferments and Brains pocket after their next extensions....of course, this is after Barta gets his cut.
????

The collectives aren't tied to the university. The entire point is to pay the players directly.

Reactions: Ree4
I'm curious. Has anyone considered crowdfunding as a way to fund an NIL collective? Everything I'm seeing seems to be talking about getting a few rich guys to fund it, but 100,000 Hawkeye fans donating $100 apiece would probably be enough.

That would be $10,000,000 per year to cover 85 scholarship athletes and a handful of walk-ons. So, more than $100,000 per player, per year - not that it would be distributed evenly.

That might sound ambitious, but we sell 50,000-60,000 tickets apiece for 13 games. This would be a fraction of what fans spend on that.

And honestly, to buy tickets through the university, you have to pay money to the I-Club (whatever that is). It's more than the ticket cost. I don't see why it would be unrealistic that some of us would choose to do something similar to field a better team.

----------------------------------------------------
Update: It sounds like they're doing a crowdfunded collective called The Swarm Collective (per the most recent episode of Tom's podcast), but it's being run as a charity, which limits how much they can give guys (probably no more than $5,000/month), because they have to be able to justify the payouts to the IRS based on services performed.

I am super grateful to Tx_Hawk for setting this up, because I don't have the organizational ability to do it and apparently none of the rest of us were doing it, either. And they are coupling that with another organization that will help connect guys to companies looking for someone to promote them, etc.

But I would like us to do better and go further. I honestly think we *should* do barely-concealed pay-to-play. I think it's fair and it's allowable within the rules. And I think the way to do that here is crowd-funding. But it would need to be set up differently, so as not to be limited by the rules for non-profits.
See the lastest collective? Made by the players themselves?!

On an OSU recruiting site it is reported OSU NIL groups have raised $11M of the $13M goal for football. In the same post, OSU recently lost a wrestling recruit to another school after a $400K offer.

On an OSU recruiting site it is reported OSU NIL groups have raised $11M of the $13M goal for football. In the same post, OSU recently lost a wrestling recruit to another school after a $400K offer.

The wrestling post is bull$%#.

The Hawkeye player NIL is now open this morning. I partook of 2 passes. They stated kids over 2 would need a pass to any event. Figured I would sign up for this first year. At least the players get the money directly.

The Hawkeye player NIL is now open this morning. I partook of 2 passes. They stated kids over 2 would need a pass to any event. Figured I would sign up for this first year. At least the players get the money directly.

Hopefully someone other than HyVee agrees to cater a tailgate as a contribution. Would almost have to do the tailgate post game?? Or on their day off which would limit attendance.

Sold $100k worth in first hour. Says the tailgate will be prior to Iowa State game. Assume some players present.

Why do we want to fund 85 scholarship athletes and a handful of walk ons? The big NIL money should be for the play makers.
Equality... Just like all those that get A's in classes should be required to give 1 of their A's to someone that has mostly D's and F's and vice versa. Teach the kids that it isn't about your talent but about sharing.

ADVERTISEMENT