ADVERTISEMENT

NIL money to coaches

chuck285

HR All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2017
How soon does some teams start buying the best recruiting coaches? I don't know but say an assistant coach gets 1 million but then Alabama or Oregon decides to have a NIL booster add another 1 million. It's going to happen...Just give it another one or two years???

How soon does some teams start buying the best recruiting coaches? I don't know but say an assistant coach gets 1 million but then Alabama or Oregon decides to have a NIL booster add another 1 million. It's going to happen...Just give it another one or two years???
To heck with the coaches. Pay some dude a half a million bucks and use the rest to pay NIL to get good players. As Urban Meyer said," it is the checkers, not the checker player".

Not sure this will happen. Asst. Coaches are employees of the university. They might frown on their employees, especially in the athletic department, receiving money from outside sources. You would have to wonder where their true allegiance lies.

With the NIL, the ultimate result will just be a cash grab by a certain percentage of players who really aren't tied to a university by loyalty. We're going to see a number of high level players moving around after letting the big boys know their skills are for sale to the highest bidder.

I don't think NIL money impacts coaching salaries which are already growing faster than inflation because TV money/sports money is growing faster than inflation......traditionally the way teams competed before was to pay elite coaches more money. Now with NIL money, you can also pay players.

I think you would get more bang for NIL money by paying players....$500K in NIL money at Iowa would help immensely in recruiting trail/player retentioin....giving $500K more to Fran or his Lifer assistants wouldn't change anything.

To heck with the coaches. Pay some dude a half a million bucks and use the rest to pay NIL to get good players. As Urban Meyer said," it is the checkers, not the checker player".

Head coaches have been buying recruiting coaches one way or another as long as the game has been played, restricted only by how much the head coach has authorized.

Reactions: perryhawk
How about NIL money from coaches? Kirk could write a check to Proctor for 50k, probably without a second thought, to make special appearances at the Children’s Hospital. Everything is fair now, right? Fran could probably offer the same to a similarly heralded basketball recruit.

Reactions: perryhawk
Head coaches have been buying recruiting coaches one way or another as long as the game has been played, restricted only by how much the head coach has authorized.
Do not buy coaches, buy players. Get a decent coach for much less. The rest goes to players.

Pretty sure coaches could appear on commercials for decades.

NIL just means you can work a side job for money as a student athlete. This isn’t rocket science and technically has nothing to do with anything in regards to the athletic department.

wtf?

Last edited:
Reactions: BBHawk
How about NIL for hot coeds who are summoned to ensure top recruits have a fantastic visit beyond the “Blessed to receive an offer from the University of…”?

NIL has pretty much opened the door for legal prostitution, amirite? I mean, somewhere Rick Pitino has to be sitting around pissed.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Aren't players now considered employees of the University?
Oh no, no, no. That’s the beauty of this for the schools, they are “uninvolved.”

the Universities have always been the Sgt. Schultz of this song and dance, but now they don’t even have lose sleep about it.

Reactions: icwesthawk
But checkers don't move themselves and sooner or later this NIL house of cards is going to collapse. I predict basketball first.

Aren't players now considered employees of the University?
No they are not, at least I don't think so. The Supreme Court ruling that opened all this up basically said the NCAA had no right to restrict the earnings of players in the sports while coaches, administrators, etc. all can get market value.

I'm not smart enough to know what being formal employees would mean.

Reactions: icwesthawk
Coaches have always been able to earn additional money from commercials and endorsements.

I know Kirk does a couple of commercials. If I recall correctly they're for non-profit orgs, but could easily be wrong.

Saban and Dion have Aflack commercials.

ADVERTISEMENT