ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Motivation Poll

Are you still motivated to donate your personal money to the Iowa NIL?

• Yes, I want to help pay players

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • No, I don't think I need to help pay players

Votes: 138 82.1%

• Total voters

percyland

HB MVP
Apr 16, 2011
There have been articles recently and podcasts discussing the Iowa Swarm NIL situation. It appears that Iowa fans have not shown up to donate to the NIL and Iowa is falling behind.

I appreciate what Brad is doing for The Swarm but is there actually a dip in enthusiasm for donating your own personal money to pay players.

It used to be where the thoughts of a full ride to college and getting to play inside Big Ten stadiums would be every Iowa kid's dream. Now it seems if you aren't shelling out enough cash for some kids who haven't proven anything they won't even look at you.

There have been articles recently and podcasts discussing the Iowa Swarm NIL situation. It appears that Iowa fans have not shown up to donate to the NIL and Iowa is falling behind.

I appreciate what Brad is doing for The Swarm but is there actually a dip in enthusiasm for donating your own personal money to pay players.

It used to be where the thoughts of a full ride to college and getting to play inside Big Ten stadiums would be every Iowa kid's dream. Now it seems if you aren't shelling out enough cash for some kids who haven't proven anything they won't even look at you.
The game also used to be played without a forward pass or millions of dollars in TV revenue being generated by the players on the field for these universities.

The reason this model doesn't work is because they want to get cash like a professional but don't have to sign any contracts (yet) or follow any rules like a professional.

It'd be like in the NFL if you were expected to pay for season tickets, the NFL team gets to keep all of the stadium/TV/merchandise revenue and the fans have to come up with the cash to pay the players.

You can donate money and pay these kids and they can just up and leave the next year and transfer to anywhere on a whim. Doesn't make any sense.

The reason this model doesn't work is because they want to get cash like a professional but don't have to sign any contracts (yet) or follow any rules like a professional.

It'd be like in the NFL if you were expected to pay for season tickets, the NFL team gets to keep all of the stadium/TV/merchandise revenue and the fans have to come up with the cash to pay the players.

You can donate money and pay these kids and they can just up and leave the next year and transfer to anywhere on a whim. Doesn't make any sense.
The other issue is the athletes don't have to publish what they make or the amount they are being offered. Brad has no idea if what the athlete says he can get from another school is legit.

IMO, NIL is just an intermediate move toward minor-league football.

I'm not sure if Iowa becomes the Iowa Vikings or the Iowa Chiefs, but I'm pretty sure that it's all headed in that direction -- so I'm going to hand on to my pennies, so that I can afford a seat in the new, semi-pro B1G-SEC league.

Pretty sure the next relevant post will be -- we NEED a top level NIL portal QB or the season will be sunk -- and we don't want a repeat of last year (wasting a top-tier defense)

Just curious if this is what other colleges have, a fans donation fund or something else?

We are in the interim stages. Won't be long and schools will be paying players, so tv money will be going toward that. I would think at that point having smaller fans paying won't be as important, and the NIL guys can focus on shaking down companies for money.

IMO, NIL is just an intermediate move toward minor-league football.

I'm not sure if Iowa becomes the Iowa Vikings or the Iowa Chiefs, but I'm pretty sure that it's all headed in that direction -- so I'm going to hand on to my pennies, so that I can afford a seat in the new, semi-pro B1G-SEC league.

Pretty sure the next relevant post will be -- we NEED a top level NIL portal QB or the season will be sunk -- and we don't want a repeat of last year (wasting a top-tier defense)
Bingo. We are in transition.

It’s about the tailgating experience for me.

Iowa was never top shelf and never will be. Everybody can’t play at the top paying schools. Coaching staff needs to farm the portal just as much as they look at high school talent.

If you don’t worry about the roster until August you might sleep better.

It’s funny how we always complained the SEC was buying players to gain an advantage and now Iowa can openly buy players and talent and suddenly we don’t want to.

One school to the west of us Nebraska has gone whole hog into NIL because they see this as a way to basically buy their way back to glory. With cash they think they are going to overcome recruiting and talent gaps with the big boys like Ohio State and Michigan.

I'll be motivated to give when there's the possibility of change being made that might actually move the football program ahead. That ain't happening as long as KF is in charge. Even with the new OC, that wasn't KF's doing. If he had his way, BF would still be running the offense. I have zero faith that KF is truly willing to evolve his approach to offense and, as a result, believe we'll continue to rack up close, low-scoring wins over bad/mediocre teams while standing no chance against good teams. I'm not giving money to that.

When universities start paying players directly, where will cuts be made? Does the university currently have a huge amount of leftover money at the end of each year? I guess I assumed that all of the current money being made by the university is spent to keep sports outside of football and basketball operating.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
It’s funny how we always complained the SEC was buying players to gain an advantage and now Iowa can openly buy players and talent and suddenly we don’t want to.

One school to the west of us Nebraska has gone whole hog into NIL because they see this as a way to basically buy their way back to glory. With cash they think they are going to overcome recruiting and talent gaps with the big boys like Ohio State and Michigan.
Rumor on a podcast that OSU is so mad about the recent losses to the cheaters they spent $30 million this year. OSU QB's are making more than th entire Iowa team. Holy sh!t.

When universities start paying players directly, where will cuts be made? Does the university currently have a huge amount of leftover money at the end of each year? I guess I assumed that all of the current money being made by the university is spent to keep sports outside of football and basketball operating.
Well for Big Ten and SEC there is extra money coming. Significant extra money.

Who can't wait for player / university contract negotiations??? Gonna have to add a number of admin people to handle it. Some type of AD football GM spot because no way Beth can sit there and negotiate 80 something contracts and decide who should get paid what.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
IF they survive the legal battle of not being required to pay all athletes the same money. Women’s crew has over 50 on there roster.

Facilities will take a big hit if schools are using money to pay players. At which point donors will pick up the slack on facilities. So the schools likely killing it on booster NIL will then be killing it on booster facilities so Iowa will then be behind on that.

Schools where boosters drop huge money will always be doing better because it’s money.

You are not going to legislate equality. If you do then under the table money will tip the scales and since the NCAA isn’t going to pursue that anymore schools like Iowa will still be behind, like always.

People that think equality is remotely possible are living in Fantasy land.

Why do we need to pay the players that are getting a full ride to play a sport in college? Why do coaches kids eat up scholarships when dad can certainly afford to pay for that education, has health insurance to cover any injuries. When they do this, they are taking away a scholarship from someone that truly needs it.

How much is a full scholarship worth? HEre is an older article that can only be compounded to todays rates.

SYNOPSIS

Despite recent claims that college football players are "oppressed" and "undervalued" relative to the revenues they generate for their universities, I argue using "cost of attendance" and "projected earnings" data that the average "value" of a college football scholarship is in excess of $2 million for student-athletes who (1) play for one of the pre-season Top 25 schools and (2) would not have pursued a college degree if it weren't for their scholarship.
And for over 99% of Division I FBS college football players on scholarship, this projected value in excess of $2 million is far greater than what any of them INDIVIDUALLY generate in revenue for their school.

I donate.
I also donate, but since I reside on the west coast, I don’t buy season tickets for football (though my elderly father in Iowa City still does).

Key thing in the short term is to get the major Iowa businesses and richest alums/fans to give to the Swarm. Depending on the general fan base is not as important in my opinion.

Pretty hard to justify paying in to NIL when most Players just take the bag then transfer a Year or 2 later for another bag, Kids have ruined this thing for Themselves, Now if they sign a x year contract to stay like a Pro contract then maybe People will pony up. I see this thing eventually dying off as more schools just say the heck with it.

The issue I have, and I expect most of the wealthy alums/fans have, is how the money is to be used. If I were in the position to make a 7 figure donation (and I may be in an advisory role for an elderly relative in the near future), I would be faced with a Swarm donation that will draw one or two players to Iowa for 1-3 years or the same donation to the AD that can be used for hundreds of athletes for many years to come.

This decision is easy for me, make the decision that has the largest impact for the largest number of people, donate to the AD. I think this is the way most large benefactors think with any charitable decision.

I guess for me, while winning is much more enjoyable than losing, my individual enjoyment doesn't factor into the equation, it is all about doing good with my charity. That joy of helping hundreds means more to me than winning a few more football games for a couple of years.

I'll be motivated to give when there's the possibility of change being made that might actually move the football program ahead. That ain't happening as long as KF is in charge. Even with the new OC, that wasn't KF's doing. If he had his way, BF would still be running the offense. I have zero faith that KF is truly willing to evolve his approach to offense and, as a result, believe we'll continue to rack up close, low-scoring wins over bad/mediocre teams while standing no chance against good teams. I'm not giving money to that.
THIS!!!

The issue I have, and I expect most of the wealthy alums/fans have, is how the money is to be used. If I were in the position to make a 7 figure donation (and I may be in an advisory role for an elderly relative in the near future), I would be faced with a Swarm donation that will draw one or two players to Iowa for 1-3 years or the same donation to the AD that can be used for hundreds of athletes for many years to come.

This decision is easy for me, make the decision that has the largest impact for the largest number of people, donate to the AD. I think this is the way most large benefactors think with any charitable decision.

I guess for me, while winning is much more enjoyable than losing, my individual enjoyment doesn't factor into the equation, it is all about doing good with my charity. That joy of helping hundreds means more to me than winning a few more football games for a couple of years.
That is a rational and intelligent way to look at it.

However, do you really think big-time oil men from Texas give that much consideration when writing their $500,000 checks to the Longhorns each year?

Same goes for any billionaire/millionaire boosters at the typical blue blood or wannabe blue blood school. Iowa doesn't have many of them, and those that Iowa does rely upon probably think things through much like you explained above and not like...

"Just make sure we get us a top QB and some studs on defense. Yeeee-haw!"

Just remember anything over 1k can be designated....you could potentially make Iowa the rowing hotbed of the midwest if you so wanted.

I also donate, but since I reside on the west coast, I don’t buy season tickets for football (though my elderly father in Iowa City still does).

Key thing in the short term is to get the major Iowa businesses and richest alums/fans to give to the Swarm. Depending on the general fan base is not as important in my opinion.
Agreed. You have to get wealthy alumni and Iowa business owners on board that are giving millions in order to compete.

C’mon guys, it’s not average fans who drive NIL, it’s big corporate donors. The university and athletic department need to do a better job in courting the big fish. It’s a new game, it’s not facilities driven anymore but rather $ for players. The issue is that we have a very conservative mindset in the state of Iowa and we are not early adopters of change. Lots of Iowa fans would rather be mediocre than play this unsavory NIL game. That is not a mindset that they have in the SEC or at the other blue bloods. They are more “win at all costs”. So in all likelihood, if things continue in this direction, Iowa and schools like it will be left behind. Just my 2 cents. Be kind…

My interest in Iowa sports has been waning for some time, well prior to the current pay for play situation. Plenty of other things to do with my time and money.
Same here. 24-year-old me would consider it utter blasphemy to hear 44-year-old me say that, but it’s true. Used to go entire football seasons without missing a snap and watch 75% or so MBB games. Now I usually spend a nice fall Saturday at my kids’ games, hiking, or whatever else. And I haven’t watched a minute of the men since Garza.

C’mon guys, it’s not average fans who drive NIL, it’s big corporate donors. The university and athletic department need to do a better job in courting the big fish. It’s a new game, it’s not facilities driven anymore but rather $ for players. The issue is that we have a very conservative mindset in the state of Iowa and we are not early adopters of change. Lots of Iowa fans would rather be mediocre than play this unsavory NIL game. That is not a mindset that they have in the SEC or at the other blue bloods. They are more “win at all costs”. So in all likelihood, if things continue in this direction, Iowa and schools like it will be left behind. Just my 2 cents. Be kind…
It's not that we have a conservative mindset in Iowa. It's a blessing. I'm thankful I dont live in one of the liberal areas of the country. I still have full police protection

It's not that we have a conservative mindset in Iowa. It's a blessing. I'm thankful I dont live in one of the liberal areas of the country. I still have full police protection
I wasn’t referring to politics. Just general nostalgia and slow adoption of change. I don’t care who you vote for or what your “police protection” status is…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT