ADVERTISEMENT

NIL/ Transfer portal = SALARY CAP ???

HawkeyePA

HR All-State
Mar 27, 2012
With the introduction of the Transfer portal and now NIL money in college sports, one of the biggest problems will be with the big schools who have the financial ability to" buy up" so many transfers and entice recruits with the promise of NIL $$$$ that smaller schools will become even more disadvantaged than ever. The 9.9 scholarship limitations have been stretched and contorted to fit into many various formulas and seems to be an outdated system now with NIL money and RTC opportunities to fill in the financial gaps. Should or will there be some kind of Salary cap or spending limit imposed ? if not this will bloom into a full fledged collegiate version of Free Agency.

With the introduction of the Transfer portal and now NIL money in college sports, one of the biggest problems will be with the big schools who have the financial ability to" buy up" so many transfers and entice recruits with the promise of NIL $$$$ that smaller schools will become even more disadvantaged than ever. The 9.9 scholarship limitations have been stretched and contorted to fit into many various formulas and seems to be an outdated system now with NIL money and RTC opportunities to fill in the financial gaps. Should or will there be some kind of Salary cap or spending limit imposed ? if not this will bloom into a full fledged collegiate version of Free Agency.
Football was already complaining about this last season. I think some sort of legislation has to happen to retain some type of level playing field. Of course PSU will just go back to camp money and post grad club fund arrangements.

Football was already complaining about this last season. I think some sort of legislation has to happen to retain some type of level playing field. Of course PSU will just go back to camp money and post grad club fund arrangements.
I don't believe psu ever stopped twisting the rules with their post grad arrangement. NIL is just a nice bonus on top of what they were already doing.

Nil money isn't coming from the school so how would you cap it?
Good question. They would have to try and legislate an individual or program limit as to how much money can be earned per year by scholarship athletes.

Ohio st already reported that their athletes have made almost $3 Million! Most to Football players but reported every team has at least 1 person getting $$$$. They are at the top of the heap currently. They also have people doing the work to continue building on this lead!

I see no way to limit this and have said before that this will be bad for college sports. As the OP says, the rich will get richer! Currently it is IOWAs fan base that is a huge asset. Also a new facility, tradition, and an up and coming girls wrestling team that should hit the ground running.

IOWA has to be on top of this because the 9.9 does not matter to F*** filled Fale at F*** st.!!! It appears very likely that it will not matter at Ohio st. in the very near future. There is absolutely nothing from stopping 1 very large donation from a wealthy individual or many small donations from many, used to buy athletes.

We should be putting together on this board a program to support the team. T-shirts is one thing, not sure what a wrestler could get out of it? Also not sure if it wouldn't hurt our man Ironside. So I would suggest he be involved. Design NIL shirts to sell and split some of the profits among the team. have everyone on this board who can, buy at least one at $30 or 2 at $50.

Another thing would be camps. I would gladly pay for ANY Hawkeye to come and do a 2 day or week long camp. This should be promoted all over the place. IOWA STYLE WRESTLING at your school or club! Spencer Lee might command X amount while some others might get a little less but each kid could go to his hometown area maybe or teams could pay expenses to put a wrestler up and feed him for several days etc....

Could also do it the other way maybe. Come to IOWA and train with DeSanto, KemDawg, The Bull etc.... I certainly wouldn't mind taking my kid and maybe some of his teammates to Carver to get in some workouts and see what their practices/training is like. I do understand they have camps and all right now, but I am talking about more 1-1 or small groups where you get the kids much more individual attention and every Wrestler could be doing this to make a few bucks!

With the new NIL rules many recruits are being told they won't pay anything to attend a university. Maybe they are getting 50% scholarship and the other 50% is coming from NIL. This is illegal because coaches can't discuss this type of thing with recruits BUT it is happening at several universities. Pretty soon the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Can you imagine any program with the resources having the ability to offer as many recruits as they want full rides and more?

The one good thing about NIL is it should help us in regards to catching PSU on the recruiting scene. Everything they've been doing (grey area, illegal, or otherwise) is now more or less legal. It's still illegal to promise money (which plenty of teams do anyways), but any kid can look at the size of the fan base or talk to current wrestlers and see how much they're making off NIL.

We don't have the near unlimited funding PSU has so we will always be at a disadvantage, but we have a much bigger fanbase that should help close the funding and therefore recruiting gap IMO.

I doubt they limit NIL money. I saw a college football recruit. unnamed get a multi million dollar deal. I do not think wrestling will be as bad as these since it has less commercial appeal in the mainstream.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Good question. They would have to try and legislate an individual or program limit as to how much money can be earned per year by scholarship athletes.
That is the very reason the court ruled in favor of athletes earning money through NIL. The decision that the NCAA has no authority to limit or control the earnings an athlete/person can make through NIL. If you try to "cap" what legal basis is there? i don't believe there is one since the is what is at the heart of the original ruling. The NFL has a salary cap, but that is the governing body capping their participants. As mentioned the $ for NIL does not come from the Universities. NIL is similar to an NFL team being under the salary cap, but many of their players are earning 50 million a year in endorsement deals etc. Can't cap that. Try capping how much a University professor can make, or how much a doctor can make etc. It isn't a free market society if you do that. With that said, I am aware of a blue chip recruit who may have been leaning toward one school, but changed their mind once their second choice brought in someone to pay them $500k in NIL money for 5 years... It used to be like the Bud Wilkinson OU football days, or SMU of the 80s... Now they do the same thing, but the money is essentially laundered and out in the open with boosters paying athletes.

That is the very reason the court ruled in favor of athletes earning money through NIL. The decision that the NCAA has no authority to limit or control the earnings an athlete/person can make through NIL. If you try to "cap" what legal basis is there? i don't believe there is one since the is what is at the heart of the original ruling. The NFL has a salary cap, but that is the governing body capping their participants. As mentioned the $ for NIL does not come from the Universities. NIL is similar to an NFL team being under the salary cap, but many of their players are earning 50 million a year in endorsement deals etc. Can't cap that. Try capping how much a University professor can make, or how much a doctor can make etc. It isn't a free market society if you do that. With that said, I am aware of a blue chip recruit who may have been leaning toward one school, but changed their mind once their second choice brought in someone to pay them $500k in NIL money for 5 years... It used to be like the Bud Wilkinson OU football days, or SMU of the 80s... Now they do the same thing, but the money is essentially laundered and out in the open with boosters paying athletes.
College sports will continue to go down the shitter then. As parity declines so will overall interest. I've soured on most all pro sports I used to watch not watching some at all and watching a lot less of others and pros at least have the salary cap to keep things even. I'm old and old school and just can't appreciate a gun for hire system of team building. It would have to be something bigger than NCAA to be able to legislate something now that Pandora's Box is open.

Heard a senior writer for the Atlantic today on Sirius XM speak and he said going forward the NIL going rate for any 5-star QB coming from high school will be a minimum $1 million annually.

The California high school QB going to Tennessee with the $8 million NIL deal will be making more than most backup QBs in the NFL.

Heard a senior writer for the Atlantic today on Sirius XM speak and he said going forward the NIL going rate for any 5-star QB coming from high school will be a minimum $1 million annually.

The California high school QB going to Tennessee with the $8 million NIL deal will be making more than most backup QBs in the NFL.
These clowns will run out of money eventually or realize paying 8 million for some punk to play football isn't such a good investment when he ends up sucking or the team still doesn't do jack

These clowns will run out of money eventually or realize paying 8 million for some punk to play football isn't such a good investment when he ends up sucking or the team still doesn't do jack
I don't think they'll run out of money. These are wealthy people/corporations banning together to pay those guys these ridiculous sums. They'll make some bad investments but they'll continue on.

This entire thing is going to hurt the game ultimately and this is all headed towards a pure "pay for play" one day.

Like the Zaxby's founder's with J.T. Daniels for UGA (if people stop eating chicken).

PSU had a great recruit in a fella named Ira Lubert...came to PSU as a Talented Heavyweight in 1968...had a 3 win and 3 loss record but was a 3 year letterman for PSU .... was a good teammate and backed up a National Champ as a valuable practice partner... but His MAIN Contribution to the PSU wrestling program was his verbal and FINANCIAL contribution to recruiting Carl and when they flew in his private jet and made the offer...then came back home and made the MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR DONATION to the new wrestling facility at PSU and set in motion the entire " grey money" recruiting process that was set to change the direction of the PSU wrestling program. This isnt hate or speculation, hell most of this was taken from an April 20, 2018 State College .com online article. oh they deny the grey money significance and the tremendous pay raise that Carl was given as social media hype.....but oddly enough all this started at the same time when the superstar Nationwide recruits starting pouring in and stockpiling the shelves with talent and yet Carl couldn't get any of this done UNDER THE RULES at IOWA STATE ????? A school with a long and storied wrestling tradition couldn't pull the recruits or talent because they operated Under the NCAA rules. With all of this occurring it seems that maybe PSU did have an early start on this NIL and Transfer Portal situation... Hell maybe they PERFECTED IT ?

I don't think they'll run out of money. These are wealthy people/corporations banning together to pay those guys these ridiculous sums. They'll make some bad investments but they'll continue on.

This entire thing is going to hurt the game ultimately and this is all headed towards a pure "pay for play" one day.
Yep, Master P's kid has a 4 year 2 million dollar deal for some internet company or social media company . The cat is out of the bag.

Reactions: frydaze
The argument that the NIL is going to destroy parity really doesn't make sense to me, as I don't think parity ever existed in wrestling. OKST dominated for decades, then Iowa, now Penn State.

There have only ever been 2-4 schools per year that have a chance to win the team title, and that will continue to be the case.

The argument that the NIL is going to destroy parity really doesn't make sense to me, as I don't think parity ever existed in wrestling. OKST dominated for decades, then Iowa, now Penn State.

There have only ever been 2-4 schools per year that have a chance to win the team title, and that will continue to be the case.
Exactly

Unless or until college athletes unionize and agree, via contact with athletic departments/conferences/whatever comes after the NCAA, on salary caps there can be no limits place on an athlete’s ability to earn. The Supreme Court seemed to made that crystal clear.

Whatever you thought college athletics were before with the old mantra of “student athletes,” it is no more.

The question becomes will colleges be able or want to impose any kind of eligibility limits/standards on athletes down the road. Or will college sports become simply minor league college branding enterprises featuring professional players with unlimited playing careers simply wearing the colors of the schools who employ them?

PSU alumni group started some nil funding thing to just collect money outside of the school and make payoffs with. People can evidently ear mark what sport it goes to. Rules state nil is not allowed to be used as a recruiting tool but that's clearly ignored. Football even complaining of teams targeting players already on other teams with payoffs to transfer. Nil was supposed to be athletes making money based off name, image and likeness but has morphed into booster payoffs used to secure recruits.

PSU alumni group started some nil funding thing to just college money outside of the school and make payoffs with. People can evidently ear mark what sport it goes to. Rules state nil is not allowed to be used as a recruiting tool but that's clearly ignored. Football even complaining of teams targeting players already on other teams with payoffs to transfer. Nil was supposed to be athletes making money based off name, image and likeness but has morphed into booster payoffs used to secure recruits.
Morphed into ? If anyone did not see this coming they were blind. It's gone in forever in certain sports, now it's legalized.

Morphed into ? If anyone did not see this coming they were blind. It's gone in forever in certain sports, now it's legalized.
Only idiots didn't see it coming. That's why I was never in favor of it. Sure there was some under the table stuff before nil but when it wasn't legal and when transferring was not open release it was a lot harder to get away with. I'd love to see the sit out a year brought back for all transfers.

Only idiots didn't see it coming. That's why I was never in favor of it. Sure there was some under the table stuff before nil but when it wasn't legal and when transferring was not open release it was a lot harder to get away with. I'd love to see the sit out a year brought back for all transfers.
You see I don't think it was harder, I'm guessing culture mattered. I'm betting in the SEC it went on more than the Big Ten (I'm biased). No one would rat the other out because they were all doing it. If it happened Big Ten, which I'm sure it did mat times I'm guessing there was a slicker way of handling it.
Maybe the dad gets a job or something. things would be more discreet. Now that it's out in the open will see a big difference in college sports. For me a PSU grad and fan football might be unwatchable. Wrestling will still be for me, first PSU is Bama in wrestling so it benefits them. Football not so much.
IF it's going to benefit you you tend to favor it. But for me it's more than that. Wrestling won't ever be as big so I won't have it thrown in my face as much. I doubt a PSU wrestling recruit will do an Apple commercial on prime time. Any adds will be something I can ignore and pretend it's like the good ole days. Football and basketball I don't think so. I know that's inconsistent but that will be my own little mental trick to adapt.
But I wish it never came to this.

Well this is much more out of control then i thought it was and also much faster then I could image! Just think of the disasters that await handing 18 year olds 100 of thousands of dollars. Just look at the problems the NFL faces and they hide a lot of it. Drinking, drugs, and lord knows what else will be running wild!!!

F*** st was clearly handing out $$$ which was proven many times and can clearly be seen in post above! For the troll above who says I do not like the greatFale sanderson. You would be correct, I do not like cheaters, and I hate cheaters in sports!!!

It directly takes away from someone else who busted their ass! You can just look at the Women's Swimming championship headlines. i have been involved with sports too long and had to deal with it too many times. In Strength sports, it may be the best example and the worst cases. As strong as I ever got, and that was many drug free championships worth. I was like a child compared to those taking PEDs.

Bothered me a little them, bothers me much more now as I see not only what was taken from me and many others who compete fairly, but also what it has taken away from all the young athletes moving forward.

I would bet that just about know one on here could tell me what the Bench Press record(s) are for example? Would you believe 800 RAW(without lifting gear, bench shirt etc...) THIRTEEN HUNDRED equipped!!! Teenage record? is 600 now I believe. How does a young kid go out and try and set a path to break these? How do you motivate kids to push themselves to train and compete when without drugs, they can never get close!

As I have said before. So many were so quick to praise the Russian wrestlers. They had no idea how dominate the USA was before PEDs, and that is a FACT and it goes on and on!

I have my son and some of his teammates and friends lifting their asses off and playing Football and Wrestling. I have no idea if it will be enough for them to become a high level college athlete? that is OK if the field is level? It is totally another if they are getting opportunities taken away by cheaters!

Do not forget about the amount of Body builders who have died this past year from drug abuse. Some older but many as young as 30's and including women! This is for those who always say, "if you can't beat them, join them." there are many risks involved and it effects everyone differently.

Last edited:
PSU had a great recruit in a fella named Ira Lubert...came to PSU as a Talented Heavyweight in 1968...had a 3 win and 3 loss record but was a 3 year letterman for PSU .... was a good teammate and backed up a National Champ as a valuable practice partner... but His MAIN Contribution to the PSU wrestling program was his verbal and FINANCIAL contribution to recruiting Carl and when they flew in his private jet and made the offer...then came back home and made the MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR DONATION to the new wrestling facility at PSU and set in motion the entire " grey money" recruiting process that was set to change the direction of the PSU wrestling program. This isnt hate or speculation, hell most of this was taken from an April 20, 2018 State College .com online article. oh they deny the grey money significance and the tremendous pay raise that Carl was given as social media hype.....but oddly enough all this started at the same time when the superstar Nationwide recruits starting pouring in and stockpiling the shelves with talent and yet Carl couldn't get any of this done UNDER THE RULES at IOWA STATE ????? A school with a long and storied wrestling tradition couldn't pull the recruits or talent because they operated Under the NCAA rules. With all of this occurring it seems that maybe PSU did have an early start on this NIL and Transfer Portal situation... Hell maybe they PERFECTED IT ?

All true. Lubert told me of this (and more) and the details over lunch 4 some years ago

ADVERTISEMENT